Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

I Saw The Devil is a good film but i had a few problems with it. Mostly getting sick of the invincible protagonist with not much interesting about his personality in these types of films. I think the best of the Korean Action films i've watched so far is A Bittersweet Life which also stars Lee Byung-Hun. The action isn't as good as it is in this or The Man From Nowhere but i got more into his emotional story and i loved that he was alot more fallible than any of the other leads.

#105 - Baby Driver (2017) ~ October 29

Wright shows that he's a great action director, but unfortunately he also shows that his films need comedy to become truly good. The comedy was lacking here and a lot of the drama therefore felt underwritten and on the nose. It seems like the comedy in the cornetto trilogy made the drama more buyable and interesting. Baby Driver lacks that typical 'Edgar Wright'-edge almost completely.
Despite the small fun bits, this is his worst (serious) directorial outing so far, in my opinion.

#106 - The Neon Demon (2016) ~ November 3

Unbalanced as a whole, but it has its interesting (visual) bits. In other words, it's very much like Refn's former film, Only God Forgives... I'll keep watching Refn's films because he does know how to bring something different to the table, but he hasn't been able to completely blow me away yet.

#107 - Blade Runner 2049 (2017) ~ November 4

It's very clear that the filmmakers involved in making this sequel are huge fans of the fantastic original Blade Runner, which I consider to be one of the three best sci-fi films ever made. However, despite their (obviously) huge efforts to bring back the magic, they ultimately did not fully succeed.

The film looks beautiful, sure, and there are plenty of cool ideas and details that certainly give this film some value, but it did lack the most important elements that make the original such a unique cult experience.
The characters (especially the villains) are less colorful than in the original, the filmmaking is much too "neat" and safe compared to the more gritty and bold filmmaking of the 1982 film and Vangelis didn't make one of the best film soundtracks of all time for this sequel (some of his music from the original does get used at certain points, but not in such a potent way as in the first film). I also thought the plot wasn't that original or interesting, but it wasn't disturbingly bad either. The story just contains a lot of concepts that have already been tackled by other films and series.

The film definitely isn't a complete failure, though. A lot of creativity went into the sets and the world building and there's plenty of cool things to behold.
It just isn't on par with one of the most special films ever made and as its sequel, it unfortunately needs to be compared to it.

#108 - T2 Trainspotting (2017) ~ November 10

Energetic, well made and very entertaining! It's not on the same level as the original 1996 film, because it lacks its humor and over the topness, but it's a worthy sequel nevertheless. Danny Boyle can be an awesome director at times. He proves it again with this film.

#110 - Ms. 45 (1981) ~ November 17

Freaking awesome. Abel Ferrara gets it. This is how you make a cult film! Can't wait to see more of his work.

#111 - Straw Dogs (1971) ~ November 17

Unsettling to the extreme, but absolutely amazing cinema! Sam Peckinpah grabbed me by my throat and shot me in the head right before I was going to choke to death.
I also think I've never seen Susan George in anything before. She's stunning in this. Fantastic performance!

#111 - Straw Dogs (1971) ~ November 17

Unsettling to the extreme, but absolutely amazing cinema! Sam Peckinpah grabbed me by my throat and shot me in the head right before I was going to choke to death.
I also think I've never seen Susan George in anything before. She's stunning in this. Fantastic performance!
been wanting to see this for a while

Totally agree with you on T2, Mud, Mrs. 45, and Straw Dogs, and I'm shocked you never saw the latter before. As far as Ferrara, I love King of New York and Bad Lieutenant, and Driller Killer was decent as well.

#112 - The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) ~ November 18

Funny roadtrip film. I expected it to be a little more outrageous because of its reputation as a cult film, but purely content-wise it's actually a pretty restrained film, most of the times. There are still a few delicious moments of weirdness, though, for those who are a fan of that kind of stuff.

Short Films ~ November 18

I also watched three shorts. I usually don't share those in this thread, but as they are featured on the 40s list, I thought I'd mention them:

Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)

Pretty amazing that this was made in 1943. Amazing stuff!

King-Size Canary (1947)

Fantastic! Loved this. Logically constructed, constantly progressing and wildly original. That's how cartoons should be!

Education for Death: The Making of the Nazi (1943)

I think I might've already seen this before, but it remains impressive propaganda.

Glad these are included in the 1940s list!

King-Size Canary is great. It was #4 on the Animated Shorts Countdown i hosted. #1 was my nom The Great Piggy Bank Robbery by Bob Clampett, that's probably my favourite piece of Animated Media. Had it #25 on my 40's list, someone else must have voted for it though as it wasn't a one-pointer.

You've been watching some excellent films this year, Cobpyth, especially lately. Mud and I Saw the Devil are two of my favorites from this decade. Ms. 45 is one of the best exploitation films I've seen. Surprised you're just now getting into Peckinpah, although you've now watched his best four, in my opinion (The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Straw Dogs and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia). If you've got the hots for Susan George, maybe watch Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, which is a fun flick.

I'm with you on Adventures of Priscilla, The Neon Demon and mother!

Great thread, btw.

#113 - Logan Lucky (2017) ~ November 24

This heist film is, as to be extected from Soderbergh, tight as hell! The filmmaking is truly top notch. He clearly had fun putting together this feel-good rollercoaster. To think of it, this flick plays exactly like Ocean's Eleven, but instead of Vegas the whole event now takes place in West-Virginia. I liked it!

#113 - Logan Lucky (2017) ~ November 24

This heist film is, as to be extected from Soderbergh, tight as hell! The filmmaking is truly top notch. He clearly had fun putting together this feel-good rollercoaster. To think of it, this flick plays exactly like Ocean's Eleven, but instead of Vegas the whole event now takes place in West-Virginia. I liked it!
Thought this was a hell of a fun movie. Probably be in my top ten this year.

The Informant and Oceans Eleven are the only Soderbergh film i like so far so good to hear it's similar to the latter.

#114 - The Big Chill (1983) ~ November 25

Amusing dramedy with a great soundtrack! A lovely film to hang out with for a while.

#115 - The Devils (1971) [UNCUT] ~ November 25

If someone would tell me that this film is one of the top ten greatest achievements in cinema history, I would not be able to disagree. This is a stunning piece of mastery. It's been a long time since I've been this impressed with a film. This was sheer genius!