Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Dark Journey (1937)
+++ Quite the little spy movie set during WWI in Sweden with a very beautiful Vivian Leigh and confident Conrad Veidt. There a number of twists and turns and I must admit I was unsure who worked for what side for a good portion of the film, which i think is to its benefit.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Well, I did something I'd said I'd never do: I watched Akira with the Pioneer dub. So what did I think? Well, it wasn't bad per se, but some of the dialogue, like "It was a dream that I saw," "And now you're a boss too... Of this pile of rubble," and "Kaneda, run away!" (Kaneda's not exactly in a position to run away there...), was pretty unnatural, Kaneda didn't sound tough enough, Kei sounded too old, the Colonel lost too much of his growl, and my preference still lies with the Streamline dub. I still can't say I enjoyed the movie itself any less, though.
Save

OtherLife (2017)

Unoriginal, but I have seen a lot worse.
If you got an extra hour and half, check it out.

Waxwork (1988) - First time watching this movie, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great, was silly but uniquely entertaining. 6/10

Basic Instinct (1992) - Love Michael Douglas' films, and this is still an entertaining thriller IMO. 7.5/10

The Punisher (2004) - Watched again on Netflix. Always a fun movie to watch, good vigilante/action flick. 6.5/10

Death Sentence (2007) - Watched this one on Netflix again too, (I was in the mood for vigilante movies). Typical vigilante movie, violent and not believable at times, but still mindless entertainment if you like watching a movie with lots of violence and seeing bad guys get killed. The chase scene into the parking garage was well done. 5/10

I'm going to start posting in this thread only for new movies I see in the theater, just 'cause when I get out I tend to know what I want to say. I'll use my own movie thread for ALL movies - new and old.

-----

Murder on the Orient Express -

(Kenneth Branagh, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

This movie briefly reminded me of when I used to mess with Photoshop. It reminded me, specifically, of desaturating an image so much that it becomes entirely white. This movie is kind of like that; it's so run-of-the-mill to the point where it becomes less than that, so horribly cliched that it stops being merely mediocre and enters "bad" territory. I was tempted to call it too "Hollywood," but I reminded myself that that would be an insult to all the Hollywood films that are good. Hopefully, though, using that word as a negative can help paint a picture of what this film felt like to me. It's key detriment is being so predictable craft-wise that it ends up not being engaging at all.

Kenneth Branagh's performance was the highlight for me. While I've seen some people call it obnoxious and I can understand that, I thought he was a well-drawn caricature (and I use that word in a very complimentary way) of the eccentric detective. He was so good, in fact, that I feel the film didn't deserve him. My only other positive is that after the film hits rock bottom with a horrendous climax, it bounces back with a resolution that is the best moment in the film.

But neither Branagh's character nor the last ten minutes could save this film from being too bland for it's own good.

Welcome to the human race...
The Death of Stalin -

legitimately can't tell if 2017 has made it easier or harder to laugh at anti-fascist satire

Blade of the Immortal (2017)

to feel how it grandiose+ly dull adapted without even reading one single page of the original is weird.
plain narrative and dialog, only the finale save the moment. Just typical miike's average, it can be plenty in his 100s

And yeah i love erika toda in short hair :3

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I'm going to start posting in this thread only for new movies I see in the theater, just 'cause when I get out I tend to know what I want to say. I'll use my own movie thread for ALL movies - new and old.

-----

(Kenneth Branagh, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

This movie briefly reminded me of when I used to mess with Photoshop. It reminded me, specifically, of desaturating an image so much that it becomes entirely white. This movie is kind of like that; it's so run-of-the-mill to the point where it becomes less than that, so horribly cliched that it stops being merely mediocre and enters "bad" territory. I was tempted to call it too "Hollywood," but I reminded myself that that would be an insult to all the Hollywood films that are good. Hopefully, though, using that word as a negative can help paint a picture of what this film felt like to me. It's key detriment is being so predictable craft-wise that it ends up not being engaging at all.

Kenneth Branagh's performance was the highlight for me. While I've seen some people call it obnoxious and I can understand that, I thought he was a well-drawn caricature (and I use that word in a very complimentary way) of the eccentric detective. He was so good, in fact, that I feel the film didn't deserve him. My only other positive is that after the film hits rock bottom with a horrendous climax, it bounces back with a resolution that is the best moment in the film.

But neither Branagh's character nor the last ten minutes could save this film from being too bland for it's own good.
Yea I’m definetly not going to see this. Thanks for the honest review, hows Dailey Ridleys acting? I feel like she’ll never break out of her Star Wars character, mainly because she has very little charisma (imo) and her acting is pretty average.

Yea I’m definetly not going to see this. Thanks for the honest review, hows Dailey Ridleys acting? I feel like she’ll never break out of her Star Wars character, mainly because she has very little charisma (imo) and her acting is pretty average.
She was good but didn't shine.

Shot Caller (2017)

-

This director certainly has a thing for prison films. He made Snitch with The Rock, which I thought was terrible, and he also made the underseen Felon with Val Kilmer, which was quite good. This movie is the best of the three. The plot is nothing incredibly original but the execution is outstanding. A regular decent guy with a family goes to prison after a tragic DUI accident. To survive, he must get into the gang life, and he gets into it so much that when he's released he can't go back to his family. I like how the story is told in that we are shown the present and what led to it simultaneously. The movie is brutal and much more realistic than the typical major release of it's kind. The performances are strong. What a crap ass title though.

Night Moves (2013)

This is the second movie I've seen from this director after Wendy and Lucy and I have similar feelings, mixed feelings. This is a fairly simple movie which I appreciate. It's filmed well, has strong acting, and beautiful scenery. It is extremely slow. That's not such a bad thing because I wasn't bored. It's just that I don't think it really excelled in any way to totally justify the pace. It's a thriller that's not exceptionally thrilling. It has some depth with dealing with regret and crap like that, but it's not all that deep. Most slow movies that I love give me some emotion but there's none here.1 It's a solid movie but I don't think there's anything memorable about it. The director is skilled and I'd like to see her expand her horizons a little bit.

The Mandarin Mystery (Ralph Staub, 1936)

Fruitful enough mystery I guess but hardly one to really sink one's teeth into

Why Him? (2016)

Not as bad as I expected.

The Awful Truth

Think this is flawed, particularly Ralph Bellamy's character. I find it pretty cheap making Dan so bland, to me it felt like they neglected his character on purpose so that you would root for Jerry and Lucy since they were much more entertaining. The same result could have been achieved by making him a good character while emphasising his and Lucy's differences to show that they aren't right for each other; Lucy and Jerry's chemistry was there for this to work so i was a bit disappointed at the way he turned out. Maybe that's not what happened and either Bellamy isn't a very good actor or it's just me and everyone else loves him either way that's how i felt. Still this was so charming and fun that i liked it alot anyway.

-

John Wick Chapter 2

Not got much to say about this, entertaining overall. Don't think there is much difference in quality between this in the first one it's just that i think they are similar enough that i felt that i had seen it all in the original. Had a pretty fun time with it anyway.

-

Logan

The best superhero film i've seen since The Dark Knight and probably my favourite blockbuster since then too. Everything worked for me which is rare for these types of films for me; no matter how much i enjoy them there's often a bad performance or something but nah i don't have any complaints.

+

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Exactly what a spy film should be. Very well paced a low-key film like this could easily get boring but it wasn't at all for me and the performances and mystery were very well done. Good stuff.

This might just do nobody any good.
TTSS May have the best ensamble of the decade. Lincoln comes close but I’d give the former the edge for having a better balance. As great as Oldman is you never really feel anyone is overshadowed.

And can we please give Mark Strong more good guy roles?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
This Property Is Condemned (1966)

have never heard of this one, gonna hafta do a little research

-----

(Kenneth Branagh, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Thanks for the in depth review and I can definitely see how it would come off as saturated but I got a strong feeling I'm gonna check this out when it hits dvd.

Night Moves (2013)

This is the second movie I've seen from this director after Wendy and Lucy and I have similar feelings, mixed feelings. This is a fairly simple movie which I appreciate. It's filmed well, has strong acting, and beautiful scenery. It is extremely slow. That's not such a bad thing because I wasn't bored. It's just that I don't think it really excelled in any way to totally justify the pace. It's a thriller that's not exceptionally thrilling. It has some depth with dealing with regret and crap like that, but it's not all that deep. Most slow movies that I love give me some emotion but there's none here.1 It's a solid movie but I don't think there's anything memorable about it. The director is skilled and I'd like to see her expand her horizons a little bit.
saw this on Citizen's reviews and I sit on the fence about t his one though its more for Eisenberg, I'm just meh on that guy for some reason. Anyway, very cool to get some more views on it.
The Awful Truth

Think this is flawed, particularly Ralph Bellamy's character. I find it pretty cheap making Dan so bland, to me it felt like they neglected his character on purpose so that you would root for Jerry and Lucy since they were much more entertaining. The same result could have been achieved by making him a good character while emphasising his and Lucy's differences to show that they aren't right for each other; Lucy and Jerry's chemistry was there for this to work so i was a bit disappointed at the way he turned out. Maybe that's not what happened and either Bellamy isn't a very good actor or it's just me and everyone else loves him either way that's how i felt. Still this was so charming and fun that i liked it alot anyway.

-

John Wick Chapter 2

Not got much to say about this, entertaining overall. Don't think there is much difference in quality between this in the first one it's just that i think they are similar enough that i felt that i had seen it all in the original. Had a pretty fun time with it anyway.

-

Logan

The best superhero film i've seen since The Dark Knight and probably my favourite blockbuster since then too. Everything worked for me which is rare for these types of films for me; no matter how much i enjoy them there's often a bad performance or something but nah i don't have any complaints.

+

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Exactly what a spy film should be. Very well paced a low-key film like this could easily get boring but it wasn't at all for me and the performances and mystery were very well done. Good stuff.

COMPLETELY agree on Tinker/Tailor a truly excellent spy film and the way a spy film SHOULD be.

Same goes with Logan, they really ended on a high note with this one.

haven't seen Awful Truth but it is on my watchlist

oh, almost forgot - yeah, John Wick 2 may be more of what the first one had, but sh1t I LOVED the fist so much a second helping did me just fine lol