Directed By Women Countdown?

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can help with graphics if need be. Just let me know what you need.

Suspect's Reviews

When do you guys think would be a good time for the countdown? We need some time to actually watch movies first, but maybe don't want to leave it too long if we want to fit on two countdowns next year.
I think we usually give 4 months because the countdown takes 2. I don't think that has ever been set in stone though.
Like Sean said most other Top 100 countdowns have given 4 months to watch the films and then the countdown takes 2 months. Some have been shorter, and some have been longer, it's up to the host.

I'm in no hurry to start the 30s Countdown, so do whatever you think is best. I'm looking forward to the Womens Director Countdown I think it will be fun and I plan on watching a bunch of directed by women films.

First countdown I will sit out.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Like Sean said most other Top 100 countdowns have given 4 months to watch the films and then the countdown takes 2 months. Some have been shorter, and some have been longer, it's up to the host.

I'm in no hurry to start the 30s Countdown, so do whatever you think is best. I'm looking forward to the Womens Director Countdown I think it will be fun and I plan on watching a bunch of directed by women films.
Just wondering because I'm planning on going holiday at Easter, which is about half way through when I would otherwise start it!

I'm looking forward to it, I think it will be interesting, but if the general mofo response is lukewarm then it may well end up being a top 50. We'll just have to see how many lists we get.

A '30s countdown would be very hip. We wouldn't likely get the same participation as in the '40s one however. I'd gladly send in a list of the 25 films that are IMO the "best" films (which might not be necessarily my favorite films). As in the '40s poll, I'd skip animation and non-English speaking films.

Cheers,
~Doc

A '30s countdown would be very hip. We wouldn't likely get the same participation as in the '40s one however. I'd gladly send in a list of the 25 films that are IMO the "best" films (which might not be necessarily my favorite films). As in the '40s poll, I'd skip animation and non-English speaking films.

Cheers,
~Doc
The 1930s Countdown...won't start until the Women's Directors Countdown is over, which might not be for up to 6 months. So first up Women's Directors Countdown

foreign film countdown is the best idea

I couldn't even name the director for most of my favorite movies.
Yup, me too, especially for newer films.

I think a Women Director's countdown makes sense as it had pretty broad support here. I know a Western or War countdown was mentioned, but people didn't seem to up for those.

I also think we need a new horror because I believe very few people participated in the first. Non English speaking has to be done eventually too. Maybe even sequels and remakes. I'm happy to participate in any and all though.

I think there should be countdowns for the individual letters

I know a Western or War countdown was mentioned, but people didn't seem to up for those.
Those also sound like good ideas. I would definitely send in lists for those if they did happen

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The truth is in here
I really don't understand Harry Lime's problem. Of course movies should be judged individually, but women behind the camera have always been severely underrepresented, even now that is still the case. That's why I can't mention that many female directors I like, because there aren't that many working or at least well-known in the first place. I think this countdown is the best idea yet.

I don't kind of understand this being an awful idea compared to what we usually bring considering that our usual countdowns are based on something as arbitrary as the year the movies were made. Nothing against that of course, just saying. By focusing on stuff directed by women we can watch and discover tons and tons of films and directors, just like the other countdowns, and exploring is always good. And we have the chance to make some of these movies more visible and noticeable so double win if you ask me.