Best of 2010

Tools    

I’m also glad there’s some mention of Meek’s Cutoff which is the movie Michelle Williams should have been nominated for and not the glorified Hallmark Marylin Monroe movie.
Have you seen any of Reichardt's other movies? Meek's Cutoff is actually my least favourite of the three i've seen, i do like it alot though. Williams was great in Certain Women too, controversially i liked her in that more than i liked her in Manchester By The Sea. And i liked Manchester By The Sea more than Certain Women as well.

I think the first 'How to Train your Dragon' came out in 2010 which was a really great movie, along with Tangled and Toy Story 3. I was addicted to Tangled for the longest time simply because the animation was enthralling to me for the longest time.

This might just do nobody any good.
I’ve only seen Night Moves, which I liked but less so than MC. Certain Women was on my list for last year. I heard some split reactions as well.

I haven’t read the Never Let Me Go book so I couldn’t tell you of any difference I’m quality.

I was really surprised by the praise on Williams’ Manchester performance. It’s almost a cameo.

I’ve only seen Night Moves, which I liked but less so than MC.
Night Moves is my favourite so far. I get why others don't like it as much as me though, i just think the atmosphere and how dark it was was killer more than anything.

I was really surprised by the praise on Williams’ Manchester performance. It’s almost a cameo.
Yep, it's a great scene but Affleck was the one who sold it for me personally. Could really relate to his torn up i just can't deal with this moment.

You like Mike Leigh? If so Another Year is worth a whirl imo.
Did you see the original Elite Squad? If you did and you liked it the sequel Elite Squad: The Enemy Within is well worth a look.
I also quite enjoyed the Korean remake of The Housemaid too.

You like Mike Leigh? If so Another Year is worth a whirl imo.
Did you see the original Elite Squad? If you did and you liked it the sequel Elite Squad: The Enemy Within is well worth a look.
I also quite enjoyed the Korean remake of The Housemaid too.
Another Year! I started watching that with my gf a few months ago and then about 5 minutes in she wanted to turn it off Had forgot all about that, added to the list. I've only seen Naked and Secrets & Lies from Mike Leigh for the record, the former is one of my favourite films though so yeah i'd say i like him.

Haven't seen Elite Squad, will at some point but probably not anytime soon thanks for the rec though.

The Housemaid added.

Here's the watchlist btw - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/watchlist-2010/

Have no idea what Poetry is but i've seen it on a few lists so i added it. If you guys get this to say 15 of films i really want to see then job well done!

I have not watched much from that year at all unfortunately. It's amazing how many movies I thought I was watching a year before I came to Mofo, and I wasn't watching anything.

All that being said Biutiful is amazing for about 2/3 of the film. Love Bardem in it, definitely check it out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nostalgia for the Light
Machete Maidens Unleashed!
Mysteries of Lisbon
GasLand
Two in the Wave
My Afternoons with Margueritte
127 Hours
Unstoppable
The Way Back
The Runaways
Inside Job
The Ghost Writer
Super
13 Assassins
Senna
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within
Another Year
Barney's Version
Even the Rain
In a Better World
Dog Pound
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
The Illusionist
Little Big Soldier
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
King of Devil's Island
Bill Cunningham New York
The People vs. George Lucas
The Oath
Mooz-Lum
Sinners and Saints
180° South
Let the Bullets Fly
Armadillo
Chico & Rita
Sound of Noise
A Cat in Paris
Outrage
The Infidel
The Robber
A Beginner's Guide to Endings
A Film Unfinished
Silent Souls
Saya-zamurai
Cool It
The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu
Blank City
Thunder Soul

This might just do nobody any good.
I looked up “2010 movies” out of curiosity. Oh, man, I saw Clash of the Titans in theatres.

Check out 13 Assassins. A truly badass film. The final battle is like half the run time.

Nostalgia for the Light
Machete Maidens Unleashed!
Mysteries of Lisbon
GasLand
Two in the Wave
My Afternoons with Margueritte
127 Hours
Unstoppable
The Way Back
The Runaways
Inside Job
The Ghost Writer
Super
13 Assassins
Senna
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within
Another Year
Barney's Version
Even the Rain
In a Better World
Dog Pound
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
The Illusionist
Little Big Soldier
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
King of Devil's Island
Bill Cunningham New York
The People vs. George Lucas
The Oath
Mooz-Lum
Sinners and Saints
180° South
Let the Bullets Fly
Armadillo
Chico & Rita
Sound of Noise
A Cat in Paris
Outrage
The Infidel
The Robber
A Beginner's Guide to Endings
A Film Unfinished
Silent Souls
Saya-zamurai
Cool It
The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu
Blank City
Thunder Soul
I forgot about Unstoppable I liked that movie a LOT. I do have a soft spot for trains and train movies dont come out very often :P

Is this worth watching outside the cinema? I mean times have changed i have a good tv but i've been told several times this was purely a cinema thing and it's pretty mediocre otherwise. I'm familiar with the story and after hearing that i just ignored it.

The Illusionist
I've seen this. Thanks, 43 films from 2010 then adding it now.

movies can be okay...
- Biutiful
- Sound of Noise
- Senna
- 127 Hours
- Armadillo
- Howl
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Put The Illusionist in at #22. Even though i love ranking stuff i also hate it especially because films can easily leave your memory when you watch so much of them. I liked that film alot when i saw it but it's been about three or four years so i'm not sure what i'd think now.

I looked up “2010 movies” out of curiosity. Oh, man, I saw Clash of the Titans in theatres.

Check out 13 Assassins. A truly badass film. The final battle is like half the run time.
Oh **** I just might have to see that now, that sounds amazing!

- Biutiful
- Sound of Noise
- Senna
- 127 Hours
- Armadillo
- Howl
Added Armadillo, Howl and Senna. Was already aware of Senna, hadn't heard of the other two but they look interesting. Thanks.

Gonna pass on Sound of Noise at least for now. It may be great but the "first musical cop movie" doesn't sound like it's something for me.

I don't actually wear pants.
13 Assassins is awesome. I highly recommend it, even if you aren't a Miike fan, because it has a different feel than the rest of his films. While there is still some obvious Miike style, the setup is not bizarre, unlike his usual output.

I also highly recommend:
Killer Inside Me
Housemaid
Parallel Life
No Doubt
Midnight FM
I Saw the Devil

Only two I've listed aren't Korean, and I didn't list Man from Nowhere because you've already seen it, but I love it, too. Have fun!

movies can be okay...
Added Armadillo, Howl and Senna. Was already aware of Senna, hadn't heard of the other two but they look interesting. Thanks.

Gonna pass on Sound of Noise at least for now. It may be great but the "first musical cop movie" doesn't sound like it's something for me.
What about "Biutiful" ? I'd recommend that the most actually.