Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Yentl
+++ Haven't seen this since I was a pup. After watching What's Up Doc? and hearing Streisand singing got me in the mood to watch this musical that she directed, co-wrote the screenplay and produced. It is a beautifully shot and made movie with Streisand being the only one who sings. Or specifically, her internal thoughts come through in song. Which, with such an extraordinary voice, there really isn't any need for anyone else's singing anyway.

Boss Baby
Wasn't terrible and admittedly, there were times I really should have chuckled, but I just wasn't into it. Perhaps another viewing. Perhaps not.

and for my Halloween viewing, two favorites from the same director:

(MULLTIPLE REWATCHES) Dark City: Director's Cut
I know this is one of those that is very polarized in liking or disliking, and, obviously, I am on the end of absolutely loving it. A sci-fi mystery wrapped within a noir-esque world-scape; I've enjoyed this since first seeing it in the theater and continue to.

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) The Crow
and then some!
An amazing reproduction from a incredible graphic novel that hits the mark on every score. I think I saw this around 10 or more times at the theater and god knows how many since.

Mad Max (1979) -

Mad Max 2 (1981) -

Mad Max 3 (1985) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Limehouse Golem (2016)

Much better than its dismal rating on imdb would suggest, The Limehouse Golem is a smart, absorbing and good-looking murder thriller set among the world of the music halls of the late 19th Victorian era. I think the low rating is largely due to people having guessed 'whodunnit' and labelling it as 'predictable'. I think these people are missing the point of movies. I knew all along who the killer was (having read the book), but it didn't spoil my enjoyment at all. My only criticisms would be that the murders are excessively brutal in their depiction, it goes on a bit too long at the end, and Karl Marx isn't in it enough. More could have been made of the cross-dressing and gender performance as well, and one part of the explanation/reveal of the killer makes less sense than in the book. The performances are good, I haven't seen Olivia Cooke in anything else before but she's great. Interesting trivia: Alan Rickman was originally supposed to play the Inspector Kildare but pulled out when his health failed.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) The Crow
and then some!
An amazing reproduction from a incredible graphic novel that hits the mark on every score. I think I saw this around 10 or more times at the theater and god knows how many since.
I will always love the Crow. One of those movies from the early days of car freedom. A favorite soundtrack that was in heavy rotation with Goodfellas and Fear and Loathing.

Got around to watching Pi last night. Good movie, especially as a directorial debut. I can't say I loved it though, or have a desire to see it again... but it was a solid psychological thriller. 7/10

Master of My Domain
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - Taika Waititi

This film is really, really good.

I didn't expect it to be at all. This is coming from a guy who thought Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 was underwhelming and forgetful, which is essentially in line with what Thor: Ragnarok aimed for: a family-friendly, upbeat film, brightly colored and over-the-top.

But whether it's the change in screenwriters or the influence of director Waititi, the newest installment works surprisingly well, and I think I can pinpoint a few key reasons.

- The conflict is set up efficiently and clearly. We get why Thor has to save Asgard and who the villain is within the first 10 minutes of the film. And even when there's the inevitable, dreary exposition, it's always juxtaposed with a visual gag or witty exchange of dialogue. I think a lot of superhero films have a lot of trouble getting started, since there's so much information and characters that need some 'splainin'. What sucks is that they could have done better with just one rewrite.

- The humor isn't forced, and comes from the characters. I noticed that in other Marvel films, there's unnecessary humor that doesn't necessarily advance the plot, or even develop character. But in Thor: Ragnarok, the humor stems naturally from interactions between characters that are meaningful and make sense. For example, the hilarious bickering between Hulk and Thor during the film's mid-point is because Thor wants to leave, but Hulk doesn't. Not because someone thought it'd be funny.

- Taika Waititi's direction is original. I never noticed it before, and glad I do now, that Waititi is a badass. He constantly makes risks in his filmmaking that may be frowned upon by conventional directors. The moments he decides on emphasizing are those quirky, off-beat moments that are awkward if executed poorly, but great if done well. Waititi, of course, is a man of the latter. The worlds are all colorful, vibrant, and well-lit (I hate, hate, hate the drab and dark lighting used in somber superhero films like Suicide Squad). Hope he gets more work in the future, he deserves it.

- Finally, a good use of the Immigrant Song! I won't spoil it, but there is a moment in the movie's Third Act that uses this song perfectly, and made me bump the rating up a full popcorn. People often forget that film is a diffusion of every existing art form, including music, which is for some reason the most neglected. Please, directors and writers, add music to your film!

I didn't think it was all perfect though, because of the natural limitations of a studio-made superhero flick. Average acting, limited experimentation, and CGI overload are things that will be included no matter what. But the fact that I forgave the aforementioned flaws almost entirely is proof that Thor: Ragnarok is... I'll say it: Marvel's best film so far.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - Taika Waititi

This film is really, really good.

I didn't expect it to be at all. This is coming from a guy who thought Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 was underwhelming and forgetful, which is essentially in line with what Thor: Ragnarok aimed for: a family-friendly, upbeat film, brightly colored and over-the-top.

As much as I loved the first Guardians, the more I think about the second the less I like it. I've seen it twice and I don't want to push my luck.

I haven't seen Ragnarok yet, but Waititi seems like the perfect choice for a film like this. Many will rail against the MCU being too lighthearted and comedic, but I would prefer too far that way than the current state of the DC movies (sans WW). No thank you Mr. Snyder, I can cultivate depression all by myself.

Aaaaaaaah! (Steve Oram, 2015)

Not a patch on previous Planet Of The Apes offerings

- Taika Waititi's direction is original. I never noticed it before, and glad I do now, that Waititi is a badass. He constantly makes risks in his filmmaking that may be frowned upon by conventional directors.
What was risky about 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople'? How is he not a conventional director? He's as mainstream as they come.

Master of My Domain
What was risky about 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople'? How is he not a conventional director? He's as mainstream as they come.
I'm not comparing Waititi to someone like Ozu or Satyajit Ray, I'm comparing him to Hollywood directors who have previously helmed superhero films. The quirky moments he added in Thor must have taken some balls to pull off, considering that Marvel constantly strives for maximum mainstream appeal. That's why I'm applauding him.

I'm not comparing Waititi to someone like Ozu or Satyajit Ray, I'm comparing him to Hollywood directors who have previously helmed superhero films. The quirky moments he added in Thor must have taken some balls to pull off, considering that Marvel constantly strives for maximum mainstream appeal. That's why I'm applauding him.
I see. I was just confused at the prospect of any superhero movie being unconventional. I like the Director by the way. Very talented guy.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Gods of Egypt
+ nowhere near as terrible as I truly expected it to be. Turned out to be a fun lil popcorn fodder. The characters of Haroth Goddess of Love and Throth God of Wisdom were the highlights for me as well as the small parts of Rufus Sewell playing a prick, which he has honed down to a science, and Geoffrey Rush playing the God Ra.
Added surprise bonus was that I completed a Alex Proyas trifecta once I realized who directed this.

Thank God He Met Lizzie or The Wedding Party [I prefer the second one] (1997) – 6.5/10

Bizzare... extremly, but I enjoyed. Tilda Swinton was fascinating in this movie. As always.
My favourite of her roles. Magical film really.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

During watching this movie I ate: soup with 2 croquettes, 1 pack of Tortilla Chips, 3 handfuls of hazelnuts and I drank 2 cups of tea. It's bad for my health to watch movies about food.
Women in Chef are absolutely beautiful.

Got around to watching Pi last night. Good movie, especially as a directorial debut. I can't say I loved it though, or have a desire to see it again... but it was a solid psychological thriller. 7/10
I saw it over a decade ago and can't remember it really but I think my reaction was the same.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
My favourite of her roles. Magical film really.
Yeah, I expected something else, but it's not a disappointment. Tilda was made for this kind of role. I remember her in Constantine where she played angel Gabriel. I saw her there for a first time and I was wondering, if Gabriel is she or he.