Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Loved it. Cried at the end.

Mikey and Nicky

Find it hard to imagine how you could not like this film. It's for the most part just two fantastic actors (and real life friends) in Peter Falk and John Cassavetes bickering and palling around and everything you can imagine. Falk in particular is outstanding as the one who is clearly more in control of his life but still very concerned about his friend. Think the script was by far the best thing about this, it was funny and sad and i just loved the way it dropped us into a well established relationship without telling us much. These two talk in such a familiar way and we are kind of left to guess their history for a large part of the film, it does a great job making something so simple very compelling. If we do end up doing the directed by women countdown everyone should check this out.

I felt almost exactly the same about it Camo. Forgot it was directed by a woman until going through a couple of those lists. Really hope someone steps up to do that countdown.

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

Paul Muni gives such a sympathetic performance, it wouldn't have been out of place if he broke down crying asking "why me?" considering all that happens to him but he just keeps chugging along in a very likeable manner. At the beginning he's a capable guy with big dreams and absolutely everything that could goes wrong; even when he gets to where he wants he's still trapped and understandably unhappy, what a miserable existence he leads throughout and somehow his character never breaks. Even after everything he's went through he still has some faith in humanity, i mean he believes they will give him a pardon no strings attatched man it's so devastating when he realizes. Every chapter of his story works, it's an extremely tight film i had no problems that i can think of. Amazing film. Also something i'm finding very interesting in my 1930's watches so far is there seems to be alot of society creating criminals films coming out of Hollywood. Would've expected alot more straight up anti-criminal ones, guessing this is fallout from the Great Depression and the Public Enemy era.

+
Oh yeah! I thought if someone watched this film they would realize how great it is. It's sure to be on my 1930s list. I agree with everything you said about...What did you think of Glenda Farell in this?

Oh yeah! I thought if someone watched this film they would realize how great it is. It's sure to be on my 1930s list. I agree with everything you said about...What did you think of Glenda Farell in this?
Yeah she played a really believable well...bitch basically. She was probably the best other than Muni, i liked his old friend
WARNING: "fugitive" spoilers below
who gave him the money when he escaped then escaped at the end with him
too.

Spring shower - Tavaszi zápor (Pál Fejös, 1932)

I can't recommend this melodrama enough. Pure beauty and expressivity following the harsh reality of a woman who is forever tarnished by her prudish society and finds herself in an endless spiral of contempt. It is short, but every minute is worth and the way the film escalates tension through its run by adding a powerful psychological dimension to the story makes it a very intense experience, and Annabella in the main role is just amazing. The best available copy I could find is an old VHS record and there hasn't been any restoration that I know of, but even that doesn't detract from this absolutely beautiful and immersive experience.
Sounds awesome. I'm going to put it near the top of my To Watch list.

It's been a long while since I seen it, who played his old friend?
Edward Ellis. Apparently he was in The Thin Man as well, i didn't even realize.

I think that's the right guy anyway, i forgot his character name and out of the guys listed he seems about the right age.

Edit: Guess i didn't realize coz he plays The Thin Man who is only in it for five minutes at the start.

Edward Ellis. Apparently he was in The Thin Man as well, i didn't even realize.

I think that's the right guy anyway, i forgot his character name and out of the guys listed he seems about the right age.
I don't recognize him, but some of the best actors were little known characters actors who did their parts but never were brand names. I'm going to have to watch this one again. Actually I need to watch a bunch of 1930s movies

I don't recognize him, but some of the best actors were little known characters actors who did their parts but never were brand names. I'm going to have to watch this one again. Actually I need to watch a bunch of 1930s movies
He was 62 when I Am A Fugitive came out and it was his first sound film. Most of his career seems to have been on stage so it's no surprise you didn't notice him. He plays the titular Thin Man but he's only in it for five minutes at the start.

I've never seen a Thin Man movie. I've been meaning to watch the first in the Thin Man series, for the longest time, but haven't got around to it yet. One of these days.

Stranger Things 2

It's not a movie... but it totally is? Well, I understand if this post gets removed for not being applicable. That said:

I really loved watching this thing, and the performances and soundtrack are exceptional. Some of the story trips over itself from time-to-time, but when it hits it just keeps on hitting.

Oddly, Stranger Things 2 benefits greatly from what came before it, and the character/world building have significant emotional payoffs.

Quite refreshing, but not without it's flaws.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	st2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	37405  

In the Mouth of Madness (1994, John Carpenter)

One of those movies that start out with a lot of promise but then fail to live up to it. Don't get me wrong: I liked most of it, and it had some great moments - but it often got too silly and comedic where I would have preferred it to be more serious and scary.

Creep 2

Great, loved the first film, love the character and this sequel didn't disappoint for me, I enjoyed it even though I saw the twist coming from a mile off

Radiator (Tom Browne, 2014)

In working order but doesn't generate a huge amount of warmth