The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wasn't expecting Citizen Kane to be at 3 but am happy to see Casablanca win it

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I've got a few things that I want to say now that this is all over.

First of all, I know that I thanked everyone before, but I would like to thank you one more time for being so understanding with everything that had happened to me during this time. Thank you. It meant a lot to me.

Second, my mother. For those of you who don't know it, I lived with her. And I spent a good deal of the past 10 years taking care of her with a couple of different illnesses. But this that happened in October was completely unexpected and out of nowhere (I will spare the details).

Anyway, I did like to regale her with tales of this website. So she wasn't completely ignorant to the existence of a lot of you here. She even took part in this countdown. She helped me with the photos that were chosen for each film. I gave her a list of names and she chose the 10 actors that are in the first photo (Cary Grant, Teresa Wright, Henry Fonda, Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, Joan Fontaine, Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney and Joseph Cotten). I really like knowing that she helped out with this countdown.

She read each and every one of your lists. If my memory is correct, I believe the list belonging to @Captain Spaulding was the one she liked best.

My mother was a huge part of my life. And I miss her terribly. I know it may sound a little dramatic, but a little bit of my own being died a little when she did. She really was the best person I know. And I know people (maybe not everyone!) feel that way about their mothers, but she was just such an enjoyable person to have in my life. But it is the little things that drive me crazy now. When you guys were being negative about Rope, it was killing me that I couldn't go downstairs and then rant to her about it. The fact, though, that I can't talk to her at all is the hardest part.

I really wish she could've seen the end of this countdown. For anyone who still wonders why I went ahead and finished it, my mother would've said it was "silly" if I didn't. She knew the work and time that went into it. So it had to be done.

Anyway, I showed her my list last. And I can still picture her saying to me "Who's list is this?". I said "Why?". She smiled at me and said "Is it yours?". I admitted that it was and she said "This is the best one out of all of them". So, Mom liked mine best!

Here is my list:
1. The Best Years of Our Lives 16
2. Arsenic and Old Lace 18
3. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir 33
4. The Pride of the Yankees 59
5. Dumbo 36
6. Rope 8
7. Now, Voyager 78
8. The Picture of Dorian Gray 52
9. Bambi 35
10. The Lost Weekend 24
11. His Girl Friday 14
12. It's a Wonderful Life 5
13. Going My Way
14. The Corn is Green
15. The Uninvited 96
16. Heaven Can Wait 63
17. The Great Dictator 11
18. Pinocchio 23
19. Penny Serenade
20. Meet Me in St. Louis 48
21. How Green Was My Valley 40
22. Mrs. Miniver
23. The More The Merrier
24. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
25. The Heiress

I know that a few of you told me to take breaks with this countdown, but I did want to finish it as planned. I am going to take a break now, however. I have a lot that I have to deal with now. I have some things in life that I really have to focus on. So I won't be around for awhile. I am NOT leaving this place - for those of you who would care if I did. I just have to focus on other things for a little while. I will maybe stop by here and there (I do have to see how the MoFo Drinks Countdown turns out), but I don't think I will be able to be as committed until I get some other worries out of the way first.

Anyway, thanks again about my mom and thanks for letting me have the opportunity to do this countdown.

Here is my list in its entirety ...

01. The Ghost And Mrs. Muir (1947)

02. Portrait of Jennie (1948)

03. The Picture Of Dorian Gray (1945)

04. Bicycle Thieves (1948)

05. The Big Sleep (1946)

06. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

07. The Queen Of Spades(1949)

08. Le Corbeau (1943)

09. Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949)

10. The Body Snatcher (1945)

11. Ministry Of Fear (1944)

12. The Red Shoes (1948)

13. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

14. The Heiress (1949)

15. Arsenic And Old Lace (1944)

16. Children Of Paradise (1945)

17. Gaslight (1944)

18. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

19. The Lost Weekend (1945)

20. Leave Her To Heaven (1945)

21. Rome, Open City (1945)

22. Shoeshine (1946)

23. Dead of Night (1945)

24. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

25. Night Train To Munich (1940)

holy ****

Awesome job, SV, and awesome job, MoFo's. I'm so glad Citizen Kane didn't win. Of course it's a very good film, but I feel no connection to it whatsoever. The Third Man is a complete masterpiece, from the war-ravaged, wet streets of Vienna to the terrific performances of the whole cast to the powerful story to that damned zither that I love so much. It was my #4. I'm so glad it beat out Kane. And of course, Casablanca winning (and by quite a large margin!) makes me very happy as it was my #1. One of the greatest films ever, amazingly quotable, with fantastic performances from Bogie and Ingrid down through the whole cast. It's an incredibly fun, inspiring movie that nonetheless tells a deeply meaning story that just happens to be one of the greatest romance movies of all time.

The three other films of mine that didn't make it, besides my 1-pointer, include another Bogart film High Sierra, the Carol Reed directed masterpiece The Fallen Idol (which is probably too low on my list, but I doubt it mattered), and Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road to Morocco, one of several Road movies those two made and it's no wonder because it's pure joy watching them go back and forth with each other.

My List:

1. Casablanca (#1)
2. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
3. The Great Dictator (#11)
4. The Third Man (#2)
5. Bicycle Thieves (#9)
6. The Maltese Falcon (#4)
7. Double Indemnity (#6)
8. Notorious (#15)
9. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#7)
10. Out of the Past (#32)
11. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
12. Stray Dog (#64)
13. The Grapes of Wrath (#13)
14. Laura (#12)
15. His Girl Friday (#14)
16. Rope (#8)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
18. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
20. High Sierra (DNP)
21. The Road to Morocco (DNP)
22. Gaslight (#41)
23. The Fallen Idol (DNP)
24. The Lost Weekend (#24)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

&t

@SilentVamp

So I wasn't the only one who voted for The Heiress ... I'm very suprised that it didn't make the final list. You did a remarkablejob with the countdown by the way.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Casablanca was my #2. You might be sick of my comments about it, but I suppose somebody hasn't seen them. I'll let The Third Man's clips speak for themselves. My main thoughts on Kane are throughout the first page here..

Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

1. The script is probably the greatest which Hollywood ever concocted and comes closest to the complete, utter wit level which rivals playwrights such as Oscar Wilde and Bernard Shaw. This, despite the fact that it was constantly being rewritten all the way up to the final day of shooting. Casablanca is a film with dialogue so good that many people still do not comprehend how entertaining it is because the whole thing comes across as effortlessly amusing while feigning seeming seriousness.

2. The technical acumen gathered together for the film is mind-boggling. This includes everything from Don Siegel's montages to the special effects utilizing midgets to convey proper scale, cool matte paintings, the light tower at the airport, the biff, bang, pow of the editing, the super costumes, Max Steiner's musical score, the sets of the various locations and even Sydney Greenstreet's flyswatters and Peter Lorre's haunting eyes. This is certainly the apotheosis of Curtiz's Warner Bros. career.

3. The romance is compelling in far more significant ways than the usual melodrama. The three main characters all are confused about each other's motives and it's unpredictable what will happen right up to the final scene. Yet, everything seems almost inevitable once you watch and rewatch this perfection. Take, for example, the scene where Rick gets Ilsa's letter in the rain as the train prepares to roll out of the station... how could anything ever be topped for emotional power? Look closely at Bogie's face as he tosses the "bleeding, crying" note to the ground.

4. Dooley Wilson's Sam is a hell of a singer and a perfect partner for Bogart's Rick. The scenes where Sam sings "As Time Goes By" are wonderfully nostalgic and even were when the film came out. Add to that the fact that's the one song which stabs Rick in the heart every time he hears it.

5. Speaking of music, the scene where "La Marseillaise" is sung at Rick's always generates lots of emotion and shivers down the backbone. Victor is able to rally the crowd to overcome the Nazis' singing of their patriotic song with an onslaught of honesty and newfound patriotism from the seemingly jaded crowd in the "saloon".

6. The supporting cast is unrivaled in films of the era. Maybe it seems as if there are better casts, but character-for-character, the casting could scarcely be more perfect, and Claude Rains' Louis has to take extra bows for the perfection of his line deliveries, character development and rapport with Bogie's Rick. "I'm shocked... shocked to find gambling going on here!" "Your winnings, sir." "Oh, thank you."

7. Ingrid Bergman is so damn beautiful. She's obviously younger than Bogie, but their relationship seems destined to be and what he gives her in security, she gives him in pure love. They're able to humanize and improve each other in ways far beyond the simple cliche. By the way, did I mention that Bergman is incredibly gorgeous?

8. Bogart is THE MAN in this film. He had played the cynical lead before in the wonderful The Maltese Falcon, but this solidified him as the leading man, the hero, a romantic icon, and the man far more together and capable than even our current role model -- The XX Man.

9. The finale is probably the greatest ever presented in a Hollywood film or anything even resembling a romantic thriller. Rick is able to work everything out to a T and make it all happen, all the while sharing some of the greatest lines in film history. "Round up the usual suspects." "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." If you don't dig the final scene, I don't know what to say...

10. Casablanca is many viewer's gateway into the films of Humphrey Bogart and classic films in general. It may be difficult for some people to realize this, but Bogart was probably in more films which stand the test of time than any other actor of his day and perhaps even ever. Besides that, he was a character actor who was able to straddle the line between cynicism and heroism and create a very-flawed sort of hero which eventually became the Anti-Hero so well popularized by later actors such as Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. The thing about Bogie though was that he was a far-huger romantic leading man than any of them ever proved to be, and that is mind-boggling in and of itself. Movies would not be the same if Bogie and Casablanca did not exist.
Seen - 100/100
My List
1. Dumbo (35)
2. Casablanca (1)
3. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (7)
4. The Maltese Falcon (4)
5. A Matter of Life and Death (34)
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
7. The Red Shoes (38)
8. Pinocchio (23)
9. Fantasia (20)
10. The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
11. Red River (56)
12. The Man Who Came to Dinner (-)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
14. The Little Foxes (43)
---- National Velvet (Forgot to include when my computer died)
15. The Heiress (-)

16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
17. Meet Me in St. Louis (48)
18. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (31)
19. Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)
21. Hail the Conquering Hero (-)
22. Song of the South (-)

23. Miracle on 34th Street (53)
24. The Best Years of Our Lives (16)
25. It's a Wonderful Life (5)

Very touching story, SV. My wife and I both have lost our mothers (and fathers), so I can relate to your feelings.

I'm full of admiration for your seeing this difficult project through. It speaks to your integrity and determination. I think that you're a helluva gal.

Very best regards,
~Doc

I watched Casablanca several times and always liked it but didn't have any strong feelings towards it. That was until JJ nominated it for a recent Hall of Fame and it suddenly all clicked for me. If he didn't nominate it, it wouldn't have even contended for my list, and it was only about 3 months since I had last watched it before the Hall of Fame. It's amazing how opinions can change. I now think it is a masterpiece and it may end up in my top 10 the next time I watch it, which may be soon. Obviously it was my #1.

I had The Third Man as my #16. Maybe it would have been higher had I seen it more recently than 3 years ago.

I like Citizen Kane, but that's as far as it goes for me. Despite its reputation, I'm surprised it finished as high as it did.

I have seen 96/100 and 24 out of my 25 selections made the countdown.

1. Casablanca (1)
#2 Children of Paradise (30)
#3 How Green Was My Valley (40)
#4 The Ox-Bow Incident (39)
#5 Letter From an Unknown Woman (28)
#6 The Little Foxes (43)
#7 Brief Encounter (21)
#8 Late Spring (25)
#9 My Darling Clementine (58)
#10 Double Indemnity (6)
#11 White Heat (42)
#12 The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (31)
#13 It's a Wonderful Life (5)
#14 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#15 Scarlet Street (73)
#16 The Third Man (2)
#17 The Grapes of Wrath (13)
#18 Body and Soul
#19 The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
#20 Mildred Pierce (45)
#21 Key Largo (77)
#22 Red River (56)
#23 The Best Years of Our Lives (16)
#24 Pride of the Yankees (59)
#25 Sergeant York (50)

Thank you Vamp for all of your hard work, especially with what you had to go through. You did a fantastic job and are a special gal.

Aw! That's really sweet Vamp! May I ask what your mother thought of my list?

My Old Submitted List:
1.Rope
2.The Lost Weekend
3.Citizen Kane
4.The Third Man
5.Bicycle Thieves
6.Dead at Night
7.Meshes of the Afternoon
8.Rebecca
9.Shadow of a Doubt
10.Kind Hearts and Coronets
11.Lifeboat
12.Maltese Falcon
13.Mildred Pierce
14.How Green Was My Valley

My New Updated List
1. Rope
2. Citizen Kane
3. The Third Man
4. The Lost Weekend
5. Sullivan's Travels
6. Bicycle Thieves
7. Meshes of the Afternoon
8. Dead of Night
9. Rebecca
10. Shadow of a Doubt
11. Mildred Pierce
12. Maltese Falcon
13. Kind Hearts and Coronets
14. Education For Death
15. Lifeboat
16. How Green Was My Valley

Thanks for doing this for us Vamp, it was really fun.

WHY WASN'T CITIZEN KANE NUMBER ONE?!?!?!

RAWR!!!

#18 Body and Soul
This would have made my list if i had seen it on time. Most likely bottom five so i doubt it would have made it, glad i got to see it anyway great film. Black Narcissus would have made mine to and i forgot Brief Encounter.

the third man is good but a little overrated and citizen kane is somehow underrated here.

my full list:

1. The Shop Around the Corner
2. Citizen Kane
3. Remember the Night
4. The Mortal Storm
5. Out of the Past
6. His Girl Friday
7. Laura
8. My Darling Clementine
9. A Matter of Life and Death
10. Sullivan's Travels
11. The Lady From Shanghai
12. Monsieur Verdoux
13. Fallen Angel
14. Shadow of the Doubt
15. Crossfire
16. The Grapes of Wrath
17. Heaven Can Wait
18. To Be or Not to Be
19. Letter From an Unknown Woman
20. Beauty and the Beast
21. They Live By Night
22. Christmas in July
23. Casablanca
24. Double Indemnity
25. The Big Sleep
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
like @seanc, I DID NOT EXPECT Third Man to take #2 AT ALL!!
Don't get me wrong, I think that's freakin AWESOME, just did not see it coming and it was an wonderful surprise.
And I do see, as is the norm, there is NO DENYING the point count spread for #1. Which is usually over a hundred on most countdowns if I remember correctly with #2 and #3 always d@mn near neck and neck like this one.

Had all three of these, Citizen Kane at #2. No write ups to share except to say: IT'S F@CKIN CITIZEN KANE FER F@CK SAKE!! C'MON!

For The Third Man, which I had at #10, I finally saw this, this year and that it was incredible. Especially the composition of the scenes were just extraordinary. No idea where my write up for this fantastic movie is, BUT, I do want to post this, SOLELY for @Citizen Rules just to mess with him (and if I could put it on automatic play and repeat, I f@ckin would)

And for my #1 for the top of the heap: Casa-f@ckin-blanca!! (my god I'm on an intense potty mouth setting, ain't I? lol)

Casablanca

Now, this a big favorite of mine with countless rewatches and a guaranteed high ranking in the coming 40's List.
It's pretty impossible to pinpoint specific reasons for my love for this movie and far too easy to go on and on and on about it.
There are an absolute array of favorite scenes and quotes; dialogue, characters (from the main all the way down to extras), the music, the cinematic and technical aspects and so forth. This movie ALWAYS puts a smile on my face and I relish sitting through it every single time.

I try to stay away from Spoilers so I will attempt to keep this to generalities.
Starting with the Cast, it does have a very powerful list and each of them really bring an assortment of nuance and brilliance to their characters. From the short screen time of Peter Lorre and Greenstreet to Claude Rains' Capt. Renault who's suave, cavalier corruption is an absolute joy to behold. To the love triangle of Bogart, Bergman and Henreid, which is done very well. To the dangerous Conrad Veidt's Maj. Strasser, whom I think was not used to his full potential, but still. There are also minor characters such as Carl played by S Z Sakall who is just f@ckin delightful, to the Pickpocket who warns his victims to beware of the citizens of Casablanca and the rampant thievery.
There is SO MUCH going on during this movie and, while in so many other movies would cause a chaotic mess, there is an incredible and beautiful blend as you maneuver through all the minor stories that are woven within the greater, lead storylines.
There is laughter, there is intrigue, there is betrayal and double-dealings and all done with a great nonchalance that I find utterly delightful.
and my complete list:

Seen: 70/100

My List:
#1 Casablanca (1)
#2 Citizen Kane (3)

#3 It's a Wonderful Life (5)
#4 Arsenic and Old Lace (18)
#5 The Maltese Falcon (4)
#6 The Big Sleep (22)
#7 Laura (12)
#8 The Mark of Zorro

#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#10 The Third Man (2)
#11 Mr. Lucky

#12 Odd Man Out (55)
#13 The Great Dictator (11)
#14 Pinocchio (23)
#15 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#19 The Sea Wolf

#20 The Stranger

#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#23 Twelve O'Clock High

#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

As always, an amazing time and, once again, a tip of the hat, a bow, a sincere kiss to our hostess, @SilentVamp, and of course, to, from the stories I've enjoyed about her, what must be a truly wonderful lady: SV's mom -- God Bless You and Keep You!! May you share a dance, a laugh and other moments of joy with those you cherished and now get to be with again! (Not to mention a few kisses from your favorite movie stars!)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
and Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road to Morocco, one of several Road movies those two made and it's no wonder because it's pure joy watching them go back and forth with each other.

21. The Road to Morocco (DNP)
&t
been ages since I saw this but it was always my favorite of their Road movies.
This would have made my list if i had seen it on time. Most likely bottom five so i doubt it would have made it, glad i got to see it anyway great film. Black Narcissus would have made mine to and i forgot Brief Encounter.
I highly considered Body & Soul, but just didn't have the room.
For movies I watched while the list went on, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Red Shoes would have DEFINITELY made my list.

I just got home from a long & tiring day, and seen the last results of the 40s Countdown....I actually felt sad when I seen Citizen Kane was only #3....Then I realized something, quite amazing...

Orson Welles was in 2 of the top 3 movies, Booya! I'll take that as a personal victory!

Thank you Vamp for doing this countdown for us! It's greatly appreciated and I do know you worked so very hard at it. You're a true MoFo.

Vamp, thank you for all you did to make this list happen. I loved the fact that your Mom helped with it---it just makes it all the more special. There are movies here that my late Mom and Dad loved and every now and then someone will make a mention and it will all come back to me how they loved movies, too.

Like, for instance Body and Soul, which a couple of you mentioned: this was one of my Dad's favorite movies. He loved boxing and he liked John Garfield very much so this was a must for him. I'm sad that I only saw it once and that was when I was a very young tyke. Need to seek it out again.

Even though it wasn't my #1, Casablanca was my Mom's #1. I love it also. I had it placed at #4.

My list, including those that didn't place in Blue:

1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
2. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
3. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
4. Casablanca (1942)
5. Holiday Inn (1942)
6. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
7. The Song of Bernadette (1943)
8. Sergeant York (1941)
9. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
10. The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
11. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
12. My Favorite Wife (1940)
13. The Philadelphia Story (1940)
14. Red River (1948)
15. On the Town (1949)
16. Notorious (1946)
17. The Big Sleep (1946)
18. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
19. Great Expectations (1946)
20. I Remember Mama (1948)
21. His Girl Friday (1940)
22. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
23. Pinocchio (1940)
24. Murder, My Sweet (1944)
25. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
My List

1. Bicycle Thieves (1948)
2. Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
3. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
4. Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
5. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
6. All the King's Men (1949)
7. Beauty and the Beast (1946)
8. Pursued (1947)
9. The Snake Pit (1948)
10. The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
11. The Lost Weekend (1945)