Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

If you're familiar with Lanthimos' work that you'll know what to expect because that is exactly what is delivered. This is a great movie with really disturbing performances and a phenomenal score so I would recommend watching on a big screen if you can. There are several funny moments, although not too many, but these are mostly very dark, even to the point of making you feel bad for laughing. The cinematography is also very impressive, with some really well shot scenes.

I will warn that it is quite an uncomfortable sitting and things do get awkward and very tense. What the director achieves is being able to keep you hooked throughout despite some slow pacing at times.

Lastly, I have to mention Barry Keoghan, who will certainly go on to be an absolute star. His performance was particularly creepy, especially the spaghetti eating scene (not to be compared with A Ghost Story pie eating scene) which left you wanting to but unable to look away.

This psychological drama will no doubt divide opinions but for me it was a brilliant cinematic experience.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.

We watched this on Neflix last night, and were pleasantly surprised. Frank Grillo turned in a strong performance in this crime thriller written and directed by Jeremy Rush.

It's a low budget production which nevertheless is high on suspense, tension, and a fairly complex plot. The film's setting --mostly in Wheelman's car-- put me in mind of 2013's Locke, starring Tom Hardy-- another film whose action was primarily in an automobile.

At 82 minutes, it doesn't get long in the tooth, and had a satisfying ending.

Doc's rating: 7/10
I passed this over on Netflix, but you got me interested, I'll give it a watch thx

One rewatch, one new watch.

Rewatch: Black Swan (2010) - This truly is a great movie that keeps getting better with repeated viewings. I'd confidently say its Aronofsky's second best film behind the The Wrestler. A disturbing, yet brilliantly crafted film that examines the dangers of obsession. Chilling performance from Natalie Portman, and an even more chilling ending. 9.5/10

New watch: Point Blank (1967) - This movie rightfully lived up to its billing a noir classic. Loved everything about it. The Mel Gibson movie, Payback is a cheap, pathetic imitation of this classic. 9/10

Rewatch: Black Swan (2010) - This truly is a great movie that keeps getting better with repeated viewings. I'd confidently say its Aronofsky's second best film behind the The Wrestler. A disturbing, yet brilliantly crafted film that examines the dangers of obsession. Chilling performance from Natalie Portman, and an even more chilling ending. 9.5/10
Have you ever watched Perfect Blue?

Arronofsky bought the rights to remake it so that he could directly lift scenes and ideas from it for Black Swan without violating any copyright law.

The Ghoul (Gareth Tunley, 2016)
+
Two words. Mumbo and jumbo.

Dracula (1931)

Watched this last night in the theatre. I understand that Bela Lugosi is the best vampire ever, but the overall quality of the movie is pretty dull.

I will be perfectly ok if there will be a remake, the question is who will be the new Dracula?

Frankenstein (1931)

A doubleheader classic horror in the theatre!

Compared to Dracula, I feel this is a better movie, especially the plot.

Again, who will be the new Frankenstein if there will be a remake?

Why both end with remake remark
Both movies are dated, but the problem is to find the right person for those monster characters. If it is done right, the remake will be good to have, like Peter Jackson's King Kong.

This might just do nobody any good.
but the problem is to find the right person for those monster characters.
Dracula
Directed by Neil Marshall

Mads Mikkelsen as Dracula

Frankenstein
Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

Rory McCann as The Monster

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

Was planning on watching Tabu but something went wrong with that so i chose this at random and dang. Absolutely didn't expect this to blow me away, i loved every thing about it. After watching i read that this had a big impact on audiences leading to the public questioning the morality of chain gangs and to the release of some chain gang prisoners, it's easy to see why.

Paul Muni gives such a sympathetic performance, it wouldn't have been out of place if he broke down crying asking "why me?" considering all that happens to him but he just keeps chugging along in a very likeable manner. At the beginning he's a capable guy with big dreams and absolutely everything that could goes wrong; even when he gets to where he wants he's still trapped and understandably unhappy, what a miserable existence he leads throughout and somehow his character never breaks. Even after everything he's went through he still has some faith in humanity, i mean he believes they will give him a pardon no strings attatched man it's so devastating when he realizes. Every chapter of his story works, it's an extremely tight film i had no problems that i can think of. Amazing film. Also something i'm finding very interesting in my 1930's watches so far is there seems to be alot of society creating criminals films coming out of Hollywood. Would've expected alot more straight up anti-criminal ones, guessing this is fallout from the Great Depression and the Public Enemy era.

+

Spring shower - Tavaszi zápor (Pál Fejös, 1932)

I can't recommend this melodrama enough. Pure beauty and expressivity following the harsh reality of a woman who is forever tarnished by her prudish society and finds herself in an endless spiral of contempt. It is short, but every minute is worth and the way the film escalates tension through its run by adding a powerful psychological dimension to the story makes it a very intense experience, and Annabella in the main role is just amazing. The best available copy I could find is an old VHS record and there hasn't been any restoration that I know of, but even that doesn't detract from this absolutely beautiful and immersive experience.

Dracula (1931)

Watched this last night in the theatre. I understand that Bela Lugosi is the best vampire ever, but the overall quality of the movie is pretty dull.

I will be perfectly ok if there will be a remake, the question is who will be the new Dracula?
I'm about to watch this for the first time now, as part of a halloween special series that I'm doing on my YouTube channel. I've been reviewing all of the movies from Universals Monsters box set and I've only got two left, those being Dracula and The Invisible Man.

Last movie I seen was Happy Death Day, I really enjoyed it and ended up giving it a B. You can check out my review over on my channel but following the link in my profile, but yeah was pleasantly surprised, it was silly, fun and made me laugh. A competently made movie.