Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

All Quiet On The Western Front (Lewis Milestone, 1930)
+
Doesn't matter which side you're on, war sucks ass!

If you thought the aspect ratio of the Grand Budapest Hotel being used to tell the story was genius, this film will blow your mind. The acting from everyone was almost perfect, the characters nearly felt like people I know in real life, this really helps the emotional experience of the film. The film is very nice looking aswell. The string soundtrack is quite beautiful. Also the songs used were great. After watching Don't Breathe (Which was about as subtle as a rocket launcher at a woman's basketball game), this film makes me feel so good. The subtlety is flawless, never have I seen a movie so not insulting to my intelligence. The exposition is perfect, the actors deliver it as if they were actual human beings. You'd swear you were actually watching real people having a conversation during some of the dialogue scenes.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Red Shoes (1948)
++ A truly exquisite movie - and please, take that to it's fullest and most elegant expression. The colors, the schemes, composition of scenes and the sets are fine dining for the visual palette.
Quite the splendid movie!!

An additional bonus was seeing a young Robert Helpman whom I only knew as the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Nope, not a surf movie by Leni Riefenstahl Nor is Frankie and Annette anywhere to be seen.

Ride the Wild Surf
...is a cut above the typical surf movie of the 1960s. This one is more serious and shows the growing popularity of surfing in Hawaii as a spectator sport....Oh sure there's still plenty of pretty girls in bikinis. That one above in Donna Reed's TV daughter Shelley Fabares. If that's not enough there's a red headed Barbara Eden, along with a third dark haired beauty.

Of course there has to be some surfer dudes, (only they don't say dudes)...those potions are filled by Favian, Tab Hunter and another guy.

So what I liked about this movie was it was minimal on the silly camp, and focused more on the actual surfing. Those a ton of great scenes of actual surfers on the big Pipeline waves on Hawaii.

Ride the Wild Surf
is like a fun time machine back to 1964.
+

Trailer

Welcome to the human race...
Lifeforce -

If I had a dollar every time I wanted to describe a movie as "not the face-melter that I was expecting"...

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6
Someone might call me crazy for giving this movie so many positives, but Hooper knows what he was doing. He made something with the right mix of the serious and the campy, all the while also managing to throw in a pretty deep subtext about industrial capitalism. Yes, people, even a picture about a laundry-folding machine can have meaning if there's a clever mind behind it.
Agree with you. Especially about the mix of serious and camp. Ted Levine and his friend were loads of fun and Robert Englund was just the right amount of over-the-top. I saw this at the cinema when it was first released as I'm a fan of the Stephen King short story. I need to see it again with captions though because I could only understand about every other word that Levine said...he seemed to have marbles in his mouth at times. But it was great, loony-bin, roller coaster fun.

rewatched some Buñuel movies last week:

Viridiana

The Phantom of Liberty

The Exterminating Angel

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Belle de Jour

Laydyhawke (1985) - absolute escapist fun and just a great tale well told. I get the feeling that Rutger and Michelle had a blast making it too. 5 Amsterdam beers in cinema out of 5 for me....hic!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladyhawke.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	37130  

Hoffa (DeVito) - Shouldn't have been as interesting as it was. Lots of pure exposition with not much else, a few explosions, but Devito's camerawork and transitions were tons of fun. That guy really had a huge creative streak going on back in his day, I wished he had kept going with directing. It's a beautiful looking film with great performances.

Quick Change (Murray) - Bill Murray co-directed this comic caper long before he was a hipster sensation. You can feel the gooey kind of adhesive sense of humor here, with things only being funny about a quarter of the time. When it is funny, it's pretty damn funny, though. Not a bad story, somewhat cliched but some OK spins. It isn't just one story, everyone seems to get their tale wrapped up proper. Randy Quaid is just about unbearable. Not a masterpiece of film making, and not something I'd watch every few years, but an interesting 1990 Bill Murray production with a decent blues organ soundtrack.

Wheelman (Jeremy Rush) - Tight, suspenseful and funny, but not SNL funny, more like Queens/Brooklyn funny. Wise guy mentality, but also a nice running theme of responsible parenting and a love for a child. Somewhat touching but still very edgy thriller. Great atmosphere and editing. Damn good movie, a nice surprise!

Middle Man (Ned Crowley) - Has moments but ultimately too "middling". Kind of never really breaks out of a hum drum routine way. A few kind of funny moments, but the dark stuff is too dark for my taste, and that ending was ass.

Extortion - 8/10
Kingsman the Golden Circle - 9/10

Chef (2014)