Totally Righteous New '80s Song Tournament

Tools    

@Sexy Celebrity

My extra nom is

Journey - Send Her My Love
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1, PART 1

1. Yazoo - Don't Go vs. Huey Lewis-Heart and Soul
Oh my GOD, Alison Moyet!!! When I first heard her voice, I thought she was a man. Now she's right behind Ben Affleck in my drunk love tweets. This song is just a sickeningly good pop song, and one of the few that never fails to turn my mood from mad to REAL ****ING HAPPY!!!

2. Bananarama - Cruel Summer vs. Eurythmics - Would I Lie To You
I like that Eurythmics song, but it's not my fav of theirs, although Annie Lennox...what a VOICE. It was hard to vote Bananarama against her. But that Bananarama song is pretty cool. I prefer it to that Euruythmics anyway.

3. ABC - When Smokey Sings vs. Do I Do - Stevie Wonder
Not a fan of that Stevie Wonder song, and that ABC song kinda creeps up on you. Well, me anyway.

4. Michael Sembello - Maniac vs. A Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins
Maniac, no contest. I can dig some Phil Collins, but that song makes my flesh crawl, and not in a good way. The Sembello track, however, is another one of those songs that gives me energy. I think it even made me bust a move in public while waiting for a train, zero ****s given. Yaaaaas!!!!!

5. Elton John - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues vs. Def Leppard - High n Dry (Saturday Night)
Not my fav Elton John by a long shot, but I didn't like that Def Leppard song. Elton wins by default in this round.

6. The Waitresses-I Know What Boys Like vs. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy
Tough one for me, but Bobby gets it for the earworm he gave me back when I HATED that song.

7. Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen vs. Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram
BILLY OCEAN **** YEAH!!!! Easy choice as I didn't like that other song. Think it's from a cartoon.

8. Janet Jackson - Black Cat vs. Scandal (feat. Patty Smyth) - The Warrior
Although not my fav of hers, (I actually don't have a fav of hers, come to think of it), she gets the vote simply because of black cats.

Don't Go is a good song, but Huey's got more heart...and soul

Cruel Summer is a long-overdue tourney winner

Both are good, but Stevie edges out

Love both tunes, but I prefer Maniac. Surprised it's never won one of these tourneys.

5. Elton John - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues vs. Def Leppard - High n Dry (Saturday Night)
That Def Leppard song doesn't hold up. Elton's song is one of his very best

6. The Waitresses-I Know What Boys Like vs. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy
Never liked the first. Second wins by default, as I've grown tired of listening to it

7. Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen vs. Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram
Second was never one of my favorites by either singer. The first is a pop masterpiece

The Warrior kills the Cat

I first heard "Don't Go" sampled in something else and loved it. Had no idea it was something from an old song.

Eurythmics do nothing for me past "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This." "Cruel Summer" has always been a Top 100 favorite song of mine.

I like Stevie, but not that song, really. "When Smokey Sings" was a song I just felt like nominating. It's different for me.

That's a sexy Phil Collins music video, but, we're going by songs here.

I'm not really crazy about either, but the Elton John song edges out.

The other song is okay.

I think the other song is nice, but it's up against "Caribbean Queen."

That's never really been my go-to Janet Jackson song, but I do like it a lot. I don't like that concert video, though and "The Warrior" is a nice song with a great video that I don't ever remember hearing in one of these tournaments before.

I'll edit in my write up. I'm doing 3 things at the same time right now, so as soon as that settles, I'll get HYPE.
Same here. Write ups will be edited in

ROUND 1, PART 1

1. Yazoo - Don't Go vs. Huey Lewis-Heart and Soul-Haven't heard the first enough to have any nostalgic connection, and it's up against my favorite Huey.

2. Bananarama - Cruel Summer vs. Eurythmics - Would I Lie To You-The second song is probably better and it definitely has the better artist. I just like the other a little more.

3. ABC - When Smokey Sings vs. Do I Do - Stevie Wonder-Tough call. I'm not big on Stevie's 80's output but his overall greatness is undeniable.

4. Michael Sembello - Maniac vs. A Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins-My friend's mom took me to see Flashdance when I was 12. I'm still pissed that I didn't get to bang her. I should have tried the popcorn trick.

5. Elton John - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues vs. Def Leppard - High n Dry (Saturday Night)-Love Def Leppard but I don't know that song so no nostalgia. Surprisingly, I've always liked the other.

6. The Waitresses-I Know What Boys Like vs. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy-That second is one of the most hideous songs I've ever heard. Always hated it.

7. Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen vs. Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram-I've never been in love with the first but the other isn't my type at all.

8. Janet Jackson - Black Cat vs. Scandal (feat. Patty Smyth) - The Warrior-That used to be one of the few Janet songs I liked. Don't care for it anymore.

btw, @Sexy Celebrity, years ago, I caught a French band live by accident, and they were AMAZING. All covers, but done in an awesome bossa nova style, mostly.

Here's their "Don't Go"

4. Michael Sembello - Maniac vs. A Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins-My friend's mom took me to see Flashdance when I was 12. I'm still pissed that I didn't get to bang her. I should have tried the popcorn trick.
Your friend's mom took you to see it alone? If she did, then she was definitely asking for the D. You should have given it to her. Without the popcorn.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'll vote when I get home. I am at the library right now. I was supposed to be picking something up that I had on hold. But for some crazy reason they sent the item downtown instead of to this library. I have to go down there now and see if I can find a place to park (I probably won't be able to find a place) so I can pick it up.

So I should be home in another hour/hour and a half, I would think (based on traffic).

I just came on here to see if this was already started. So, give me a little bit of time and I will do it as soon as I get home.

Your friend's mom took you to see it alone? If she did, then she was definitely asking for the D. You should have given it to her. Without the popcorn.
He was there too, the little c**kblocker.

ROUND 1, PART 2

1. St. Elmo's Fire - John Parr vs. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
UUUUUGH this one's difficult. Think I prefer Kim Carnes, but only SLIGHTLY.

2. Jermaine Jackson - Dynamite vs. Beastie Boys-Girls
I've never heard this song in my life. Hmmm. I like it. Beastie Boys, I've never really liked. No Sleep Till Brooklyn is cool and a few others, but this one has always annoyed me.

3. Joan Jett - I Hate Myself For Loving You vs. Together Forever - Rick Astley
Awwwww, pity he's up against Joan Jett. Had the song been another, maybe the choice would have been difficult. But this time, I'm going with and old girlcrush of mine.

4. Cyndi Lauper - She Bop vs. Belinda Carlisle - Mad About You
DAMN wicked tune .GODDAAAAMN!!!! It feels like the bassline's crawling on the floor, coming to GET you. An easy vote.

5. Billy Squier-My Kinda Lover vs. Timbuk3 - The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
I have no idea which one of these I prefer. Billy Squier eventually had the edge.

6. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham! vs. Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy
Wham!'s tune here is a nice classic, but doesn't hold a candle (for me) to Jeopardy.

7. Madonna - Express Yourself vs. Phil Collins - Sussudio
Yep, great Phil Collins tune. Not such a great Madonna one.

8. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy vs. Van Halen - When It's Love
Never liked Van Halen except for a song or two. And Smalltown Boy, I used to hate when I was a kid. But...when I heard it again many years later, and really listened to the lyrics, the sadness of that pop song, yet...it had such spirit, it flew right up to in my top 5 80's songs ever. Such beauty, such pain, such a weird voice. Such an important song.

Both songs are great, but I got to hand it to John Parr

Not a fan of that Beastie Boys song, and that amateur video didn't help. Dynamite is arguably the best song by any of Michael Jackson's siblings

I love myself for loving Joan. She rocks!

This match is not fair. At all. Both are kickass pop tunes. I'll go with my nom, but wouldn't feel bad if Cyndi wins it.

5. Billy Squier-My Kinda Lover vs. Timbuk3 - The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
The second did nothing for me. The first wins by default

I'm actually not that fond of Jeopardy. Wake Me Up is a pop classic

I'm actually not a big fan of Express Yourself. Sussudio is one of Phil's best pop tunes

I don't like that first song. When It's Love is Van Hagar's best song

Both are good, but I'm finding myself bolding "St. Elmo's Fire."

Yeah, that Beastie Boys thing doesn't stand a chance with me over this.

I'm getting rather tired of Joan Jett in these tournaments.

I have always liked this song. "She Bop" is good, but not infallible with me.

Easy choice.

Easy choice.

I wanted to vote for "Express Yourself" over "Sussudio", which is my song..... but I just can't.

Don't care for that Van Halen thing. "Smalltown Boy" is a song I only really learned of through these tournaments and I like it a lot.