Scarface or Carlito's Way

Tools    

Honestly, is there anybody who prefers Scarface? I know it's the more famous of the two among the mainstream, but personally, I don't feel it's close. I feel Carlito's Way is better by a wide margin.

Carlito's Way is De Palma's masterpiece... I'd say one of the 10 best films of the 90s.

Whereas my opinion of Scarface is that it's tied with The Departed as the most overrated crime drama ever, only I think The Departed is better.

Thoughts?

There's no way The Departed is better than Scarface. I can see the thinking in Carlito's Way being the best of the 3. Its surely underrated but The Departed? Not a chance.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Both amazing--- Scarface has the unfortunate overexposure that CW doesn't. I would sooner watch CW now, as I've seen SF waaaay more times

There's no way The Departed is better than Scarface. I can see the thinking in Carlito's Way being the best of the 3. Its surely underrated but The Departed? Not a chance.
The Departed vs Scarface might be the more even debate, but I just don't think much of Scarface. And for the record, Pacino is one of my favorite actors, but Tony Montana was just an over-the-top, ridiculous character.

Carlito Brigante was far more realistic, and had far more depth.

I'm sure this is gonna sound controversial, but I'm high enough on Carlito's Way to where I'd say it's a bit better than Heat. In other words, the only crime dramas of the 90s that I think are definitely better would be Goodfellas, and LA Confidential.

Honestly, is there anybody who prefers Scarface? I know it's the more famous of the two among the mainstream, but personally, I don't feel it's close. I feel Carlito's Way is better by a wide margin.

Carlito's Way is De Palma's masterpiece... I'd say one of the 10 best films of the 90s.

Whereas my opinion of Scarface is that it's tied with The Departed as the most overrated crime drama ever, only I think The Departed is better.

Thoughts?
I love both and find it really difficult to pick but find it cool that Pacino and De Palma could meet up 10 years later in their careers and do it again, both masterpieces imo.

Make a better place
Carlito's Way to me, I didn't really like Scarface

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Yea I vote Carlitos way, I like scarface though...quite a bit. Should set up a poll. There was a user about 17 years ago or more who said he liked polls and would create one, maybe this is his opportunity.....

i liked both movies, both have the same amount of quality filmmaking, especially scarface is a classic in cinema history, carlito's way continues with more of the same with a great story and love story , penelope ann miller is stunning in this film, she's brimming with sensuality, she made the movie transcend into a classic film.

My problem with Scarface has never been the filmmaking, per say. It's a well directed film, and it's BEAUTIFULLY shot. I just find Tony Montana too over-the-top... to the point where the movie is cheesy at times.

Whereas, in Carlito's Way, Pacino's character has a lot more depth, isn't over-the-top, and the film is enhanced with an outstanding performance from Sean Penn. It just has a lot more substance than Scarface, which often times feels like an empty film to me.

Scarface. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's more 80's than the 80's. It's the film the 80's wished it was.

I would put them both on a par, very different films and I love them both! Sure that Scarface had more of a effect on a whole generations culture than Carlitos Way though.

I wanted to reply yesterday, but I really had to give this one some thought. Honestly, I think I prefer Carlito's Way (1993) to Scarface (1983) (Probably because I spent my entire sophomore year in high school doing nothing but watching Scarface). I think the Scarface renaissance of the early/mid 2000s was really thanks to gangster rap than the quality of the movie. I do agree it's more of a B-movie, but I think it was done that way purposely, and adds to the movie's charm and the over the top tradition of the original Scarface (1932).

I wanted to reply yesterday, but I really had to give this one some thought. Honestly, I think I prefer Carlito's Way (1993) to Scarface (1983) (Probably because I spent my entire sophomore year in high school doing nothing but watching Scarface). I think the Scarface renaissance of the early/mid 2000s was really thanks to gangster rap than the quality of the movie. I do agree it's more of a B-movie, but I think it was done that way purposely, and adds to the movie's charm and the over the top tradition of the original Scarface (1932).
I agree with this post, only I don't know if Scarface was intentionally made to be a B-movie. I think De Palma wanted to make a Godfather caliber crime epic.... he just missed the mark.

But he definitely hit the mark with Carlito's Way.

I agree with this post, only I don't know if Scarface was intentionally made to be a B-movie. I think De Palma wanted to make a Godfather caliber crime epic.... he just missed the mark.

But he definitely hit the mark with Carlito's Way.
Referencing an earlier conversation on this thread, I blame the 80s more than I do De Palma or Stone's script.