The MoFo Top Video Games List: The Countdown!

Tools    

Well here is another game where the franchise made the list, but I voted for a different game. I got out of video games when I went to college. So every game on my list is going to be from 2004 or before. Hence why Morrowind made my list but not later Elder Scrolls titles like Oblivion or Skyrim.

Now with the Super Smash Bros franchise however the issue is not the game came out after I left gaming, but that I didn't play this title much. The 6th console gen was the last video game gen for me, and strangely enough I never owned a Nintendo GameCube. I just got done saying how much of a Nintendo mark I was, but when it came to home consoles the last Nintendo one I owned was the Nintendo 64. Why the hell is that? Maybe it was I was big into more violent games at the time of this gen and I got a bigger selection on the Xbox and PS2. Maybe it was because I thought Mario Sunshine looked like a inferior Mario 64. Or it was my crippling addiction to another Nintendo uber franchise on Gameboy (one of those games has to make this list). But either way I never had a GameCube. As such I only played this particular title with friends and have only limited experience with it.

The original however is an easy all time favorite. Combining my love for Nintendo, adding in many a Nintendo character from a bunch of games I played (and a few franchises I never touched), AND turning it into a fighting game? I was more predisposed to loving this game then a crack baby to cocaine. Sure it did not have the blood and gore from Mortal Kombat, the combos of Tekken, or the speed of Street Fighter II; but holy hell was it fun! Each character with it's own play style item drops that had everything from health to Pokeballs, to having the unique aspect of having to throw your opponent out of the ring off a cliff or into oblivion as opposed to draining a health meter made the game incredibly unique it it's game play and cartoon violence.

At least one game in the fanchise made the list even though it was not my particular choice.

Onwards to the top 25!

25: StarCraft

Released: March 1998
Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
Platform: PC, Mac, Nintendo 64

66 points: One 1st, one 4th, one 10th, one 23rd
That was my 1st place. I grew up playing this game. When I was 10 years old I started playing it as the demo version, then I played the full game when I was 11 but I only managed to beat Omega, the last phase of the expansion pack, when I was 18. Truly a masterpiece of gaming, perhaps the best rts game ever made.

Also, it has a very cool cowboys in space aesthetic mixed in with some "elves in space" (Protoss) and insects (Zerg).

I don't think I want to know how many hours I've spent playing Super Mario 64 haha. I remember excitedly looking forward to getting an N64 and being able to play it, because the older games in the series were a huge part of my early childhood. I got a NES when I was 3 or 4, so I legitimately grew up with those games. Practically everyone I knew also got an N64 with Mario around the same time, and I remember discussing the game with friends at school, as we pooled our knowledge to figure out how to beat the game. That said, I did not vote for Mario 64. There are a couple other Mario games that I like more, and I hope we see at least one of them on the Countdown.

While I did own the first Smash Bros game, after I unlocked everything I mostly just played it at parties with friends. It was too different from the fighting games I liked to play for me to take it too seriously, which is hilarious in hindsight since Smash has grown to have a huge competitive scene (that I really do not understand). There is a huge Smash community here in the city, so I try to careful when saying negative things about the game in public (at a games store, conventions, etc.), but the local Smash scene and their fanboy tendencies really irritates me sometimes. My typical go-to line whenever someone asks me about the series is: "Look, I know these are probably fighting words, but I just prefer to play real fighting games". In this situation, I think being a woman helps me to not get punched in the face haha.

Kingdom Hearts was my number 1! I haven't given it nearly as much thought as my favorite movies, but if I had to pick a number one favorite game it would be this. I got it for my 11th birthday in 2002, and it just seemed like THE perfect game for me at that time. Disney plus large-scale RPG with a huge Final Fantasy influence—there was nothing to not like! It has a ton of nostalgia value for me as well as just being a flat-out amazing game! I played the second one but didn't play any of the spin-offs that came out on handhelds. I have been waiting for 11 years for the third one to finally come out!

Super Mario 64 was on my list as well. I didn't beat it, but did really like it and along with its influence on 3D gaming it felt like a crime to leave it off.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Oh and by the way, since we started this thread I've been playing two particular games that will hopefully make this list. Well, one will, and hopefully the other gets on the list somehow or at least it's franchise does.

What are people expecting to see in the top ten? I'm guessing: Final Fantasy 7, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros 3, San Andreas and Fallout 3 will make it. Maybe Fallout 4. I'm curious which if any Resident Evils will make it too.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
What are people expecting to see in the top ten? I'm guessing: Final Fantasy 7, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros 3, San Andreas and Fallout 3 will make it. Maybe Fallout 4. I'm curious which if any Resident Evils will make it too.
I would love to see a few NES (Metroid!) and maybe a Genesis game pop up in the top 10. Another classic arcade or three (Galaga?). A 90s cabinet representation would be nice too, like any Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter release at least. Or a good side-scroller like Shinobi.

I kind of doubt any 2600 games made the list but that would make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I really expect to see Super Mario Bros., Chrono-Trigger, one of the Portal games, Tetris, and some release of Metroid is to show up.

Fingers crossed!!

I think one Resident Evil game will make it. Either 2 or 4 I think.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I voted for Super Smash Bros (but not Melee, which was after my Smash Brothers-playing time). It was just fun multiplayer stuff, fighting as Pokemon. Simple things, I guess

The People's Republic of Clogher
21: Chrono Trigger

Released: March 1995
Developer: Square
Platform: Super NES, Playstation 1, Nintendo DS, Android

78 points: One 3rd, one 4th, one 8th, one 11th

Chrono Trigger is another game from my list. Like I said in the other thread, I never had the opportunity to play the SNES game when it was new, only the PS1 version, then later the DS one. I don't have as much nostalgia for Chrono Trigger as I do for many of the other RPGs on my list, but it had a huge impact on the genre as a whole, so I respect the game quite a bit.

My List: 4/25

03. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - #26
04. Final Fantasy X (PS2) - #30
06. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - #28
11. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - #21

Love Chrono Trigger. Probably didn't play it until about 12 years after it came out so it's amazing it held up and still holds up as well as it does. I had it at #8.

08.Chrono Trigger
11.Final Fantasy 10
12.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
15.Diablo II
21.Mega Man 2
23.Silent Hill 2

The People's Republic of Clogher
20: Halo: Combat Evolved

Released: November 2001
Developer: Bungie
Platform: Xbox, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One

80 points: One 2nd, one 6th, one 13th, one 14th, one 20th, one 21st