The Lost City of Z (2017)

Tools    

The Lost City of Z (2017)

Director: James Gray
Stars: Charlie Hunnam, Sienna Miller, Tom Holland
Based on the book "The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Grann

Anyone has watched it? I saw it yesterday at a cinema near my home.

Didn't know that it was based on a true character, I went into the projection expecting some grandeur of ancient civilization discovery. The movie couldn't be more different than that. It was rather a human soul's discovery. I kept waiting for something to be revealed, but past half the movie I kinda feel that it wasn't going anywhere. It's not a criticism of mine: the movie is unpredictable, and bitterly real in that aspect. It has kept me thinking about it since, though I'm not sure about what specifically. Such a sad, yet inspiring story. If it was really a fantasy, I may have already forgotten it.

I like Charlie Hunnam in this role more than in any of his other movies. He fits in the old society, and the royal geography alumni. Tom Holland, like him ever since The Impossible. But the villain stole the show, I wanted to smack him in the face and in anywhere I can, more than to any other gangster in mob movies. Maybe, the reason why I keep thinking about this movie is, if not for this slime, and for the unreasonable kindness of Percy towards him, they would have arrived at the golden city already. Sigh. But Percy wouldn't have done otherwise, because he was a noble being of a time goneby.

Must be doin sumthin right
I'm a big James Gray fan and have been waiting for this movie for years and years. Seems like such an interesting departure from his usual stuff

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I really want to see this.

Started watching it but couldnt engage. Will try to finish.

This might just do nobody any good.
It's really good. So understated. I'm also surprised at how effective Hunnam is in this.

It's really good. So understated. I'm also surprised at how effective Hunnam is in this.
OK I'll give it s third go. Back in england now.

I just cant get through it. People are eithjer whispering or bellowing. Only good thing about it so far is Pattinson doesnt glitter.

I didn't recognize Pattinson at first. I guess it takes some working into but I'm always up for some muted epics (Tinker Tailor ftw!)

I didnt recognise him either. He looks better now that he;s grown out of his emo stage.

Handsomely haggard suits him. See also - Good Time.

I don't remember the last time I was so happy a movie ended. Sorry saunch.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm annoyed that this apparently came and went in theatres without me getting to see it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I thought it was fairly good. Hated Hunman in everything he has been in before this but came away respecting him as a leading man.

My expectations were fairly low, I think I was expecting Congo (1995), or some sort of remake.

7.5/10

The Lost City of Z 2016 Directed by James Gray

Slow paced and dramatic film about human nature, adventurism and exploration.
Visually a beautiful mixture of Around the World in 80 days, Acquire the Wrath of God, Paths of Glory and Apocalypse Now. Starring Sons of Anarchy’s Jax Teller, our friendly neighborhood Spider-man, Robert Pattinson, and the very beautiful Sienna Miller.
-
76/100

I could give it a try, maybe won't be boring as others.

The Lost City of Z is an excellent movie