2017 Thus Far (from a Box-Office Standpoint)

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
July

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Result: Huge Success
Budget: 175 million
Box Office: < 875 million

Notes: Spider-Man: Homecoming ​came to theaters with a bang, grossing 117 million domestically and 257 million worldwide. In-comparison to The Amazing Spider-Man series, Jon Watts' film opened substantially more than both films and the word-of-mouth suggests that Homecoming is poised to make more than both films on a domestic level. As a matter of fact, Sony is boasting this as the second most successful opening for a Spider-Man film, which is technically accurate, but a little bit misleading to those that don't have the facts straight. For example, some installments opened on Wednesdays, thereby negating any really fair direct comparison, also, if you were to adjust for inflation, Homecoming opened behind all three of the Sam Raimi films. Still, that's besides the point, Spider-Man: Homecoming marks a tremendous success for Sony and Marvel alike.
The film shaved about seventy-five million off its production budget in-comparison to what the last Amazing Spider-Man film cost, and it looks like it will be a return to major profitability for the iconic franchise. I think the film will finish somewhere over the 800 million mark worldwide, and it could perhaps even go more than that, depending how it does in China. Ultimately, I think this film will have solid holds because its word-of-mouth and the positive reviews it has received.

7/17/17 Update: The film dropped 61% in its second weekend, which is exactly the same as what The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did. The only difference is that this film cost a whopping 75 million less than that film and is also pacing 50 million ahead on a domestic level. Considering the amount of juice it has left and the fact that it still has China left (where The Amazing Spider-Man 2 made almost 100 million), I still think it has a good-shot at ending up around 800 million.

7/24/17 Update: Spider-Man experienced a 50% drop in its third weekend, which is only a little better than what The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did (we're talking a 2% difference). That film went on to make another 30 million at the domestic level, if the comparison sticks, that suggests that Spider-Man: Homecoming will fall somewhere around 280 million domestically, however, there's still a small chance that it will clear 300 million worldwide if it holds well during the weekdays. The film will finish ahead of both The Amazing Spider-Man films domestically (though, when adjusted for inflation, The Amazing Spider-Man made 299 million), but has no chance of even challenging the movies from the Sam Raimi series. Worldwide, the film is at 571 million, but still has a few markets left to debut in, including China, where the last Spider-Man film made 100 million.

7/31/17 Update: Spider-Man: Homecoming is at over 630 million worldwide, ahead of its premiere in China, the film is most certainly poised to cross the 700 million threshold. The film still has a little bit of juice left, and I think the film will be able to reach at least 660 million worldwide in its current territories. This makes it seem unlikely that the film will cross the 800 million threshold. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was able to make 94 million from China and about 30 million from Japan. If Spider-Man: Homecoming matched that exactly the film will end up with about 784 million worldwide, or just a little shy of 800 million. However, we won't really know how this film will deliver until it actually does. Iron Man has had particular success in China, could his role in the film result in heightened numbers? What about the stronger reviews for this film in-comparison to The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Either that, or it could all backfire. Who knows? Either way, Homecoming is still a success.

8/14/17 Update: Spider-Man: Homecoming has officially crossed the 700 million mark, ahead of its release in Japan or China.

9/11/17 Update: Spider-Man: Homecoming debuted in China, opening to about 70 million. If the film has the same multiplier as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it will finish with about 900 million worldwide, ending up as the largest worldwide total for the series, although, not if adjusted for inflation. The film's a massive success either way.

War for the Planet of the Apes
Result: Success
Budget: 150 million
Box Office: < 481 million

Notes: This film earned excellent reviews from critics and had a lot of goodwill from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (a film I loved, by the way), but it opened significantly less than Dawn did on a domestic level, not only that, but it also had deflated enthusiasm on the overseas market. The film is performing in a way that's more comparable to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but, unfortunately, that film cost 50 million less than this one. The film is looking like it's poised to make about 150 million on a domestic level, which would be the lowest of the new series. Overseas, Dawn was able to make half a billion, but, like I said, War is performing less aggressively in its numbers. I don't think this is cause for alarm, but I do think that we'll see a sizable decline when this film is compared with Dawn. I am hoping that it will at least have enough oomph to reach 500 million worldwide. I'll keep this updated.

Update 7/25/17: - War for the Planet of the Apes dropped 62% from its opening weekend (Dawn dropped 50% after its first weekend) after already debuting considerable behind what its predecessor opened to. The idea of the film having the strength to make it to 150 million domestically, now seems unlikely, with shooting toward 140 million being a much safer bet. The overseas totals thus far also aren't anything to be ecstatic about.

Update 7/31/17: On a personal note, I watched War for the Planet of the Apes a couple of days ago and I thought it was fantastic. Unfortunately, from a financial standpoint, the film has failed to really take off. The film is on-pace to fall short of 150 million domestically and more than 50 million short of what the last Planet of the Apes did, but, also, overseas numbers aren't doing very much heavy lifting. I still haven't decided a "result," just yet, because the film still has some territories left, including China, which made 100 million for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Considering that China receives 75% of that, however, it doesn't look like that will be enough to save it.

Update 8/14/17: - War for the Planet of the Apes is winding down, and it looks as though it will indeed fall short of the 150 million mark domestically, the film still has debuted in China, which could be enough to set it over the 400 million mark, but even still, there is no doubt that this is a disappointment, best case scenario having it fall at least 300 million short of what the last film did.

Update 9/25/17: - The film has fared better overseas than I anticipated. Still, there is no doubt the film was a large decline from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and is landing about where Rise of the Planet of the Apes landed, with a lot more spent on it. All the same, the film has landed somewhere where I think synergy and home sales can make it a success.

Girls Trip
Result: Big Success
Budget: 19 million
Box Office: < 134.6 million

Notes: Girls Trip came in second place with over 31 million, making for a much combatant adversary to Dunkirk than I would have other-wise expected. I didn't know much about this film. What I did know is that it was a women-centered film with a predominantly black cast. Two very under-served markets that will show up in droves if you provide them something they think is worth their time. The film is receiving very positively reviews, especially for its genre, and, with its production budget of 19 million, this is a success for Universal.

8/7/17: Girls Trip has had terrific holds over the last few weeks and is pacing on-par with the Bridesmaid film on a domestic level. (A film that made over 150 million domestically) This is a terrific success for those involved.

Dunkirk
Budget: 114 million
Box Office: < 518 million

Notes: Christopher Nolan's latest film Dunkirk stormed theaters, grossing 50 million on a domestic level, and already surpassing 100 million worldwide. The film opened in line with Nolan's last film Interstellar, which came close to 190 million domestically and over 650 million worldwide. The fact that Dunkirk is pacing a little bit ahead of Interstellar and is also receiving much stronger reviews suggests that the film might be able to cross 200 million domestically before the smoke settles. It's too soon to know for certain where Dunkirk will fall in-terms of worldwide totals, but I don't suspect that it will have too much trouble churning a profit. (Though, I speculate the film won't have as broad of an appeal as Interstellar did. I am thinking it will fall somewhere over 400 million worldwide.) If the film is able to stay relevant long enough, it could also be in contention for the Oscars, which would optimize profits.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Result: Flop
Budget: 177-210 million
Box Office: < 219.5 million

Notes: In fifth place, we have Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which opened to only a little over 17 million domestically (coincidentally, that's almost exactly what The Fifth Element started with), with its worldwide debuts happening at a later date. This film was never expected to be a domestic juggernaut by any definitions of the phrase, but I am still disappointed with these returns. The film has a budget that has been speculated to be as little as 177 million and as high as 210 million, making for a particularly expensive film. (Although, the film apparently received tax credits from France, Fundamental Films invested 50 million into the project, and apparently, Luc Besson made a lot of money out of pocket for this film) The idea is that France will be ever-so kind as to do all the heavy-lifting, but we won't have any confirmation on its willingness to do that until next week. In other words, it isn't looking great for Valerian, but its main money-maker hasn't had its say yet.

8/7/17 Update: France has officially had its say and judging from the current numbers, it seems very much like Valerian has been a substantial box-office misfire. It's said that this film needed 350-400 million to break-even and justify a sequel, however, current numbers are making it seem doubtful that Valerian will come close to even half that number.

Atomic Blonde
Result: Modest Success
Budget: 30 million
Box Office: < 95.7 million

Notes: Director David Leitch is known particularly for his work on John Wick (a film in-which he had some participation in. Although, didn't receive a directing credit for.) and this film, starring Charlize Theron, definitely feels like a blood-relative to that film. Receiving positive reviews, Atomic Blonde opened ahead of the modestly successful John Wick film and all signs suggests that it will be a modestly successful film in the same vein. Let's remember that John Wick wasn't a terrific success on a theatrical level, and it wasn't until its release in the home market that more success helped justify a sequel. This film has about the same production budget as that film, however, and thus, all signs suggest this film will improve on that first film's profits.

8/14/17: At 61 million worldwide, Atomic Blonde hasn't yet set the world ablaze or broken even. I am hoping that overseas box-office will help carry a little more weight, but thus far, it remains to be seen if it actually will.

The Emoji Movie
Budget: 50 million
Box Office: < 193.1 million

Notes: The Emoji Movie is a film I think many actually wanted to see fail. After all, the film was met with immediate backlash when the trailers hit, and then, scathing criticisms upon arrival in theaters. The film's prospects definitely aren't as appetizing as other animated fare, but calling it a flop at this time would be a stretch. The film has a conservative budget and, even with strong drops, will likely be able to hit 60-70 million on a domestic level. This will cover a lot of the damages from its production budget, but it still has its marketing budget to think about. Although, it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, Surf's Up (another film from Sony) was only able to make about 58 million domestically, but made 90 million from overseas territories. The worldwide box-office has changed a lot since then, and almost entirely in The Emoji Movie's favor. This film won't be a very profitable film for Sony, but it looks like it could break even a while after it releases in the home market.

8/14/17: Like I said, Emoji Movie hasn't really over-performed and hasn't done anything worth celebrating over for Sony, but it hasn't really been a flop either. I predicted that the film would end up somewhere between 60-70 million, and, at its current trajectory, it looks like it will exceed that on a domestic level. The film hasn't taken off overseas yet, but it also hasn't debuted in all of its markets.

If I was Kevin Feige, I'd be concerned with the Spiderman numbers. If it's led to be believed that RDJ will bail after the next two Avengers films, who'll lead the Marvel Cinematic Universe post Phase 3?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
If I was Kevin Feige, I'd be concerned with the Spiderman numbers. If it's led to be believed that RDJ will bail after the next two Avengers films, who'll lead the Marvel Cinematic Universe post Phase 3?
The Marvel Cinematic Universe will definitely have a much different landscape proceeding the next couple Avengers films. Chris Evans has been quoted as saying that he is out, and the going assumption is that Robert Downey Jr. will be gone as well. And though it's speculation, I doubt that Mark Ruffalo or Chris Hemsworth will be around for very much longer either. That, and finally, of course, the fact that Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3 is intended to be the last installment of these particular Guardians.

However, I don't really think that Kevin Feige looks at Spider-Man as the lead, if only because the deal with Sony means that such an approach won't optimize profits for Disney. Spider-Man's numbers aren't bad, but they definitely don't mark a pivotal game-changer for Spider-Man as a franchise-player. Homecoming is pacing ahead of The Amazing series and looks poised to come close to 800 million dollars when it's all said and finished. Considering how much cheaper this film was than The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the domestic increase, and the worldwide overall increase, this suggests that Homecoming offset a lot of the audience fatigue, but that they haven't really brought enthusiasm for the web-crawler back to where it was when Sam Raimi was at the helm. Something I think that is worth acknowledging is that Iron Man as a film series never made it past 650 million until Iron Man 3. (Iron Man 2 cost significantly more than Spider-Man: Homecoming in-terms of production and Homecoming will make substantially more) This was hot off the heels of The Avengers film, and thereafter, the films all received a small bump in their profits. I think that when Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 is hot off the heels of the fourth Avengers film, it will receive a similar boost because how interested everyone will be to see where it ends up.

I think that Marvel is expertly marketing its films at the moment. For instance, I feel like the Black Panther film could garner substantial returns. The film is being released in the same time-frame that Deadpool found a lot of success, and, not only that, but the same time that the horror film Get Out found huge domestic success. The reason these correlate is because this will be one of the first superhero films led by an African American actor and that February is regarded as Black History Month.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
August

Kidnap
Result: Disappointment
Budget: 21 million
Box Office: < 32.2 million

Notes: Kidnap isn't a film that has had a whole lot of buzz or interest surrounding it. The film, starring Halle Berry, whose last starring role was the successful high-concept film The Call, has received mixed reviews. Fortunately, for its financial prospects, however, the film is looking as though it will be a modest success. The film was acquired for 3 million by Aviron Pictures, and it's said that they spent about 13 million advertising the film. It's too early to gauge if this film will flounder or become a small win for those involved, but it's also the type of film I'd suspect has a better future on home-video than in theaters.

8/28/17: If we go by the budget of 21 million that has been tossed around, Kidnap amounts to a disappointment.

The Dark Tower
Budget: 60 million
Box Office: < 110.9 million

Notes: The Dark Tower is a long-awaited adaptation of the popular Stephen King book series, however, audiences didn't flock to the theaters like Sony might have hoped. The film received very negative reviews from critics. The film has a modest enough budget that it can keep itself from being too substantial of a loss for those involved. I am especially curious to see how this film will perform in foreign markets. I'll keep things updated as information becomes available.

8/14/17: The film dropped 58% in its second weekend, and its current trajectory suggests that it will finish with less than 50 million domestically. This means the film entirely banks on it being a success overseas.

8/21/17: I feel that I can now safely consider this film as a disappointment. This film has a couple of territories left, surely, but it would take a lot to change things.

8/28/17: The Dark Tower has failed to hold solidly enough to have any chance at breaking even, I am marking this as a "Flop".

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
Budget: 40 million
Box Office: < 42.4 million

Notes: The sequel to Open Road Films' modestly successful animated feature The Nut Job opened with less than half of what the first film totaled out with. Unfortunately, the film's budget was not made to compensate for these greatly diminished returns, matching the previous films' production budget. There isn't a whole lot else to say about this film, expect it to leave theaters fast and fail to recoup its budget.

Annabelle: Creation
Budget: 15 million
Box Office: < 295.2 million

Notes: The Conjuring franchise has been more-or-less indestructible since it first debuted. The Conjuring 1 and 2 both opened with about 40 million domestically and Annabelle opened to 37 million domestically on its opening weekend. After horrible reviews plagued the first Annabelle film, some might have suspected greatly diminished returns for the next installment. However, that hasn't been the case. Annabelle: Creation opened to 35 million domestically and has already crossed 70 million worldwide. That's one of the kickers about The Conjuring franchise, as well, is that, unlike a lot of other horror franchises, it is extremely popular in foreign territories as well. Both Conjuring films made over 300 million worldwide, whereas Annabelle was able to scare up more than 250 million. Annabelle: Creation is unlikely to be able to churn up the same profits, but, then again, it doesn't have to, because, regardless, Annabelle: Creation is a huge success.

8/21/17: Annabelle: Creation is already approaching the 200 million market. I didn't think this film would be able to match the first Annabelle's totals, but, now, I am not certain of what the limits are for this film.

8/28/17: The fourth installment in the Conjuring Universe has crossed the 200 million mark. The film has assured itself as a huge success for those involved, I would not be surprised to see this film surpass its predecessor.

The Hitman's Bodyguard
Box Office: < 162.6 million

Notes: Ryan Reynolds' acting career has been on a strong uptick ever since the release of the Deadpool film, and Samuel L. Jackson continues to be one of the most known actors in the industry, however, that wasn't enough to make The Hitman's Bodyguard into a hit. The film has benefited from weak competition, but it won't make enough to break even on its theatrical receipts, instead, it will be left up to on-demand and home-video sales to put it over the edge. It could have been a lot worse, but it definitely could have been a lot better. Weak reviews suggest that it will fall off sooner than later, as well.

- Bolstered mostly by the lack of competition, The Hitman's Bodyguard has managed to carve out a healthy total for itself. The film is a success, and could also see a good life on the home video market.

Logan Lucky
Budget: 29 million
Box Office: < 40.3 million

Notes: Logan Lucky has received strong reviews and has a notable cast, however, that wasn't enough to make this film into a success. The fact that The Hitman's Bodyguard has practically the same budget and has made almost three times as much at the box-office, and is still not really a big success should tell you how Logan Lucky is doing so far. Hopefully it will have a second-life on the home-market.

Leap (Ballerina)
Box Office: < 104.4 million

Notes: Known as Ballerina in other markets, Leap! disappointed at the domestic box office by opening in third-place as the only new wide release. The film is expected to fall away from theaters relatively fast and it isn't expected to do much more business hereafter. Thankfully for this film, it has been much more successful in its worldwide totals, expect this film to make it over 100 million before it's all said and finished.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Some notes: -

Edgar Wright's new film Baby Driver will finish its box-office run having grossed more than Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End, and Scott Pilgrim did combined.

Wonder Woman is the highest grossing film directed by a female, the film also recently crossed 800 million worldwide. The film is less than 70 million behind the worldwide total for Batman v. Superman and also had a production budget of 100 million less than that film.

Despicable Me 3 cemented its franchise as the highest grossing animated series of all-time, the fourth film in the successful series is on-pace to join the likes of The Fate of the Furious and Beauty and the Beast as the third film to make a billion worldwide this year.

Marvel has released 3 movies thus far and 1 upcoming this year

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Marvel has released 3 movies thus far and 1 upcoming this year
Correct, there have been three Marvel adaptations this year, this includes the Marvel Cinematic Universe itself, which has featured Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming, and will finish the year off with Thor: Ragnarok, as well as the separate film "Logan," which exists in the X-Men universe distributed and cared for by Fox Studios (which also released Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse last year). DC Entertainment has also had a productive year, releasing the widely successful Wonder Woman film, the successful (although, not as The Lego Movie) Lego Batman Movie, its year will culminate with the release of the long-anticipated Justice League film.

Outside DC and Marvel, Saban crashed and burned with their attempt at re-introducing Power Rangers to a contemporary audience, failed to re-coup its budget or garner the type of returns necessary to justify a sequel. Dreamworks adapted the popular book series Captain Underpants with Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, amounting to a modestly successful film.

In 2018, the Marvel Cinematic Universe will kick off the superhero genre with Black Panther, coinciding with Black History Month. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will follow that with Avengers: Infinity Wars, the third film in the Avengers series. Ant-Man and the Wasp will finish out the year for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in July, making for three installments in 2018 (same as this year). Fox's Marvel is going all in, with an adaptation of the New Mutants comic-book series coming in April, as well as a sequel to the widely successful Deadpool film coming in June. X-Men: Dark Phoenix will arrive in November of that year, also. Sony's Marvel will have a Venom film in October, as well as an animated Spider-Man film in December. This means that eight Marvel-related films will be coming to theaters in 2018.

Meanwhile, DC only has one film slated for 2018, and that's Aquaman, set to arrive in December of that year.

Lastly, The Incredibles 2 will come out in June.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
September

Home Again
Budget: 12 million
Box Office: < 32.7 million

Notes: Helped by a conservative budget, Home Again fell at the knees of much more appealing competition, the negative reviews also didn't help its prospects any. The film made 9 million, which isn't bad this time of year, but the likelihood of short-legs and the fact that there is still a marketing budget to consider says this film is, at the moment, looking like a disappointment.

It
Budget: 35 million
Box Office: < 677.6 million

Notes: The "IT" film has more-or-less rewritten the history books, scoring the largest opening of all-time for a horror film (even when adjusted for inflation) and demolishing the record for largest opening weekend in September (doubling it, in-fact, just as it did with the largest all-time opening for a horror film). "IT" is already a success, but it will be especially interesting to see how far this film can go, helped a lot by positive reviews, this film is already a monumental break-out success. Horror films are known for dropping hugely in their second weekend, the result of that will be the deciding factor for this film's prospects. Right now, 500 million worldwide doesn't seem out of the question at all. For some added perspective, this film made more its opening weekend than Annabelle: Creation, Annabelle, and The Conjuring 2 made combined, and those are the films that have more-or-less dominated the horror scene the last few years.

Update: - It: Chapter One had a terrific second weekend, dropping only a little bit over 50%, which is a fantastic hold for a horror film. At its current trajectory, 500 million seems like a given, with 300 of that coming from domestic totals (matching the totals from Warner Bros. more expensive blockbusters like Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman, and 600 million is now looking like a possibility as well.

American Assassin
Budget: 33 million
Box Office: < 60.6 million

Notes: American Assassin managed to keep from being completely annihilated in the wake of "IT", but it wasn't exactly a blockbuster either. Increased competition in upcoming weeks and negative reviews entail this film will have short-legs. It's too soon to tell where it will end, so I'll keep you updated in upcoming weeks.

Mother!
Box Office: < 43.7 million

Notes: The prospects don't look at all promising for the new mother! film. Directed by Darren Aronofsky (who directed The Wrestler, a personal favorite of mine) and starring Jennifer Lawrence, this film is dead on-arrival from the looks of it. Critical reception is mixed at best, but more noticeably, the audience reception has been harsh, with CinemaScore giving it an average grade of an "F". (for some perspective, getting a B+ is considered on the low side) Competition will only increase and it looks like this film will be a dud on the domestic level. It will be left up to overseas totals to carry the weight, but whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

Friend Request
Budget: 9.9 million
Box Office: < 9.5 million

Notes: This is a German horror film that was released back in January to negative reviews from critics. I was surprised to see this film actually get a nationwide domestic release and it was a mistake in judgment on their part that didn't pay off. The film's budget is relatively small and that means home video sales, particularly, perhaps, in its home-country of Germany, could help take the edge off and cover themselves. However, because they opted to invest more money into it for marketing and a full-fledged nationwide release in the States, I don't think it's likely to break even, let alone churn a profit.

The Lego Ninjago Movie
Budget: 70 million
Box Office: < 114.5 million

Notes: From the second this film was announced, I couldn't understand the logic behind it. This must have been a knee-jerk reaction to the surprise success of The Lego Movie that they put too much time in to back away from. The Lego Batman Movie had considerable declines from The Lego Movie, making 75 million less domestically and about 150 million less worldwide. And that was with the name prestige of Batman, who is, not only a huge DC character, but was also extremely well-received in the Lego Movie itself. Bolstered by positive reviews, The Lego Batman Movie was a pretty good success, all in all, but a disappointment in-comparison to what The Lego Movie had been able to churn for itself. The Lego Ninjago Movie doesn't have very positive reviews, however, and, also, frankly, from the outside looking in, while I knew it was a successful animated show on Cartoon Network, I didn't really know anything about it. When the trailers hit, I didn't think it looked good either, being a big fan of The Lego Movie and Lego Batman, for that matter. Needless to say, I wasn't the only one who thought that, because The Lego Ninjago Movie continued the declines from The Lego Movie in a large way. The film is currently pacing at less than one-third of what The Lego Movie made, and that gap is only expected to get smaller. This film failed to make 100 million domestically seems like a certainty and unless the film takes especially well overseas, I don't think this film will be able to churn a profit.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Budget: 104 million
Box Office: < 381 million

Notes: Kingsman: The Secret Service was a surprise hit that received positive reviews and good word-of-mouth, and thereby, it was only a matter of time before a sequel came into fruition. The Golden Circle can't claim the same positive reviews as its predecessor, but, for the most part, it looks as though the film succeeds just enough to be more passable than it is a dud. Domestically, the film improved on the opening of the first film by a small margin, although, it did fall behind initial projections. This is a healthy start, although, it's first mentioning that sequels are oftentimes more front-loaded, and thereby, this film likely won't have as long legs as the first film. In-terms of foreign sales, The Golden Circle is making considerable strides, and it's with that help that The Golden Circle has been able to make one-hundred million thus far. The film has a lot of ground to cover before it can be considered as a success, however, and it depends on whether or not it crashes from here on out that will decide whether or not Kingsman 3 is a potential prospect.

American Made
Budget: 50 million
Box Office: < 128.6 million

Notes: American Made has received very positive reviews from critics and Tom Cruise has one of the most recognizable names in the film industry, but the film's price-tag begged for a more profitable outcome than what was received. The film will likely cross one-hundred million worldwide with ease, but come short of any other major milestone, failing to break even in its theatrical release.

Flatliners
Budget: 19 million
Box Office: < 30.1 million

Notes: The new Flatliners film opened to less than seven million this weekend and, considering it's very negative critical reception, it's unlikely the film will be able to bounce back in any capacity. Considering the fact the film not only needs to cover its 19 million dollar production budget, but, also, the amount spent toward marketing itself, this film is almost certain to lose money for Sony.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
LOL @ the IT result. Now that's just monopoly money.

Hitman's Bodyguard 103.6 million USD

The Bib-iest of Nickels
LOL @ the IT result. Now that's just monopoly money.

Hitman's Bodyguard 103.6 million USD
Monopoly money, as in, having no real existence or value? I don't understand. Also, are you correcting me with your Hitman's Bodyguard total, because your total is incorrect.

Monopoly money, as in, having no real existence or value? I don't understand. Also, are you correcting me with your Hitman's Bodyguard total, because your total is incorrect.

Monopoly money s in that's so so much I dont even know how much it is. Calm down.

And where did I correct you? I simply quoted the box office number that I saw. If it's wrong then how about you post the correct number, or is this thread just for you.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Monopoly money s in that's so so much I dont even know how much it is. Calm down.

And where did I correct you? I simply quoted the box office number that I saw. If it's wrong then how about you post the correct number, or is this thread just for you.
In your comment, you said that it's "monopoly money," I didn't know what you meant by that. I've always heard "monopoly money" used as a way to describe money with "no value," that's why I asked. I wasn't be sarcastic or hostile, I simply said I didn't understand.

You provided a box-office tidbit without context, it was a number without any explanation, and this is a thread where I report box office information, so I assumed you were citing an error in what I said. When I looked into it again, I found that my total was correct, and mentioned it. It was an honest mistake.

In your comment, you said that it's "monopoly money," I didn't know what you meant by that. I've always heard "monopoly money" used as a way to describe money with "no value," that's why I asked. I wasn't be sarcastic or hostile, I simply said I didn't understand.

You provided a box-office tidbit without context, it was a number without any explanation, and this is a thread where I report box office information, so I assumed you were citing an error in what I said. When I looked into it again, I found that my total was correct, and mentioned it. It was an honest mistake.
Well now you know what monopoly money means to me = A LOT!

As for posting THB 'without context', my apologies. Didnt realise there had to be context. Once again no I was not correcting you. That was the number I had just seen, and I hadnt even seen your previous allocation, which was higher than mine anyway so WTH would I be correcting you when my own brother is one of the film makers and I wanted it to rake in the dough.
Deary me so snarky around here lately; I'll leave you to it

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Well now you know what monopoly money means to me = A LOT!

As for posting THB 'without context', my apologies. Didnt realise there had to be context. Once again no I was not correcting you. That was the number I had just seen, and I hadnt even seen your previous allocation, which was higher than mine anyway so WTH would I be correcting you when my own brother is one of the film makers and I wanted it to rake in the dough.
Deary me so snarky around here lately; I'll leave you to it
I don't believe that I was being snarky with you, I believe I was very respectful and straightforward with you. I asked for clarification on a misunderstanding, you told me to "calm down," I further explained myself, and you continued this narrative of being attacked. In regards to your comment about individuals on this forum, perhaps, being snarky, I think it might be your interpretation and reaction to them that is skewed.

And I answered you so why are you carrying on. Do you just skim over posts and cherry pick what you can react to?
Now if I had been correcting you please know for future reference I would have bloody well said Hey! This is the number I just saw on thb official page; where did you get yours?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
And I answered you so why are you carrying on. Do you just skim over posts and cherry pick what you can react to?
Now if I had been correcting you please know for future reference I would have bloody well said Hey! This is the number I just saw on thb official page; where did you get yours?
You implied I was snarky to you and that other members might have been snarky to you as well, and I felt I wanted to establish, plainly put, that I was not. Individuals often don't roll-over and die simply because they're insulted, even if we may want them to.

Congratulations to your brother for the success of The Hitman's Bodyguard, and I wish him luck in his future endeavors, sincerely.

Snark isnt an insult so no, dont think I;m going to croak any time soon.

Thnks. I;ll pass it on.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I usually deal with domestic box office returns, as opposed to worldwide receipts, (although, I do try to implement them the best I can) and so, I haven't really talked about one of the most substantial worldwide grosses of 2017 thus far, a Chinese film called Wolf Warrior 2. A sequel to its modestly successful predecessor, Wolf Warrior 2 has broken basically all of the domestic records for China. The second largest film territory in the world, China has seen a lot of hits in the last few years. The Mermaid was a huge success, making 553 million worldwide and becoming the biggest success the country has ever seen. Wolf Warrior 2, however, blows the mermaid out of the water!

Wolf Warrior 2 has made 870 million worldwide with 866 million coming from China! Although, the film hasn't shown very much global appeal, it, by no means, needs to. Wolf Warrior 2 has a budget of about 30 million. China, of course, is known in the box office game by how it takes 75% of movie profits for keeps, but, even with that, those involved are looking to have about 200 million to split with each-other, along with the eventual DVD and Blu-Ray sale prospects, and so, it's no surprise that Wolf Warriors 3 has already been confirmed.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Update:
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle has made 100 million thus far in its short time, currently pacing ahead of its predecessor. The deciding factor is whether or not it will hold, or if it's trajectory will nosedive as many sequels are known to.

- The Lego Ninjago Movie under-performed considerably, opening to less than one-third of The Lego Movie, the current prospects aren't good for it.

- The "IT" movie is approaching 500 million worldwide, and should have hit it and then some by this time next week.