Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A VERY dark and sleazy film. Which I do greatly appreciate in any film I watch. There are a few issues though. They are minor and can be easily ignored by most. But not by me.

First this movie is set in Dallas. It however was no filmed in Dallas. Hell I don't even think this was even filmed in Texas; it looks more like Louisiana. Thanks to the Blu Ray I purchased and a fairly large screen TV I saw a highway sign with I-10 on it (which does not run through Dallas) with directions to both New Orleans and I believe the other one was Biloxi Mississippi. Though to the film's credit they do reference Harry Hines Blvd which is in the west part of Dallas.

For "West Dallas" there is a significant lack of Hispanics.

For "West Dallas" there is an unnatural amount of poor White Trash.

There is no Celestial Bodies Gentlemen's Club in Dallas (but one Celestial Bodies club was closed just south of I-10 in Louisiana just after the movie completed being shot).

While they got the Dallas Police uniforms and squad cars about as close as they could, they were not authentic. The badges were noticeably different from DPD issue; McConaughey's badge number is WAAAAY too low, and the "West Dallas Station" does not exist. Just trust me on those details.

But you know what? F**K the gripes! McConaughey was a complete sociopath and the ending was amazing! Just do yourself a solid and pretend that this takes place in the Deep Grove part of Dallas an the movie becomes all the stronger!

Unregistered User
Speaking of Westerns, has anyone seen
The Professionals (8.5/10)
Hombre (8/10)

Released within a year of each other... Don't know why they're underrated, besides being great, they had bankable stars.

The Professionals is great. Plus it has Claudia Cardinale!!!

I was honestly expecting the dog to start talking by the end.
"What's that Hagen? ..... Someone's fallen down a well."

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951, Robert Wise)

I loved near everything about this, from Robert Wise's tight direction and Bernard Herrmann's score to the tasty special effects and the beautiful black-and-white cinematography by Leo Tover. For a sci-fi movie made in 1951, I think it's aged really well (the Blu-ray transfer is fantastic).
A classic!

Beautiful animation, and that's it.

I just cannot enjoy the message this movie delivers. It is safe to say this movie is against war, yet it portrays Japan as the only 'victims' in the movie. For god sake, they started the war and they were like animals killing people out there in WW2. The message is unbelievably hypocritical.

- I gave this score purely because I love movie and I appreciate art.

La Ville des pirates (1984) by Raoul Ruiz

It reminded me of a full length version of Meshes of the Afternoon with a Godardesque dialogue. Excellent mise-en-scene with som intriguing angles. Overall a really excellent reflection on life with intertwining narratives.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Stroszek - 9/10

TCM played this (and 4 others by Herzog).. The lead actor is so great, and just found out he wasn't an actor, but a musician.

My kind of movie. Funny. Would have probably done better with a title like "Welcome to America"..

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I just looked that up. How bad are the torture scenes, Sam?

Terrific movie with an excellent ensemble cast.

Loved this documentary about Formula 1 racing. So good.

“I was cured, all right!”
Also sad. Seeing so many young drivers needlessly die.
Yeah, very sad...
Dark times to F1.

Have you seen SENNA? I cried a lot with this documentary.
It's wonderful.

Yeah, very sad...
Dark times to F1.

Have you seen SENNA? I cried a lot with this documentary.
It's wonderful.
Loved Senna. Last man to die in F1 racing.

Good thing today, thanks to Jackie Stewart, et al, is that drivers still crash, but they survive.