The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
@SilentVamp

Question about the deadline:

Does that mean people have to get the list in before Sunday or by the end of Sunday?
By 11:59 PM on the night of Sunday, September 3rd.

I adore Film Noir. It and Westerns are my two favorite genres.

That being said, I have eight Noirs (depending on how picky one wants to be with the definition) and only two Westerns. So if 75% of what anyone watched in preparation for this were Noirs, that's really on you. There are so many great movies of every genre in the '40s, including some of the most brilliant and still hysterical comedies ever made (I have six comedies).

But, hey, if the list is Noir heavy (and it is sure to be Hitchcock heavy again, too), that is A-OK as far as I am concerned.

So no, I am not a bit tired of Film Noir. Never.
It seems natural to me that a greater number of the captivating '40s films would be noir. After all, the vast majority of the movies from that era are in black & white-- notwithstanding a few notable color films. So since the original essence of noir ("black") was black & white, it stands to reason that pictures from the category named after its basic presentation would be more plentiful.

And of course the world was more black and white then. There was no confusion among the sexes, one could call a spade a spade, and people were not offended by every little cotton pickin' thing.

So movie themes were pretty straightforward, and nothing expressed that more than noir. That's not to say that there weren't many ground breaking social and political screen plays. But in no other era was the noir sentiment expressed better.

~Doc
loves noir

One last message for the night.

Sean has sent in his list (the 37th) and Gideon has sent in his (the 38th).

Just give Florence some money to go shopping for a few hours

We now officially have 40 lists!

matt72582 and Captain Spaulding have submitted their lists today.

I am thinking that really we can reach those 45 lists. There are still a couple of days left. It will happen.

urkillinmesmalls has sent in the 41st list.

Keep them coming!

I still think we will hit 45 (with the possibility of 50).

MovieMeditation finally sent in his list - pathetic, as it may be.

That takes us up to 42!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sent my list in. I didn't get to watch all the films I'd hoped to watch this week, but I'm glad I persevered and watched Les Enfants du Paradis at least. Looking forward to the countdown, should be interesting!

Yes, we've hit 45 lists with the three mentioned above, and I have also received a list from Jeff Costello. So takes us to 46 lists, which makes me even greedier now to reach 50.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, we've hit 45 lists with the three mentioned above, and I have also received a list from Jeff Costello. So takes us to 46 lists, which makes me even greedier now to reach 50.

I'm working on finalizing my list tonight, so I should be sending it in within the next few hours.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This was harder than I thought it would be, but I sent my list. I think it was even harder to figure out the order of the movies than it was to narrow it down to only 25 movies.

Sending mine later today also, still want to rewatch 2 films for the order.