Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I hated La La Land and liked Song To Song alot. That was the first " late Malick stream-of-consciousness film" as Minio put it i'd seen though so i could see it getting annoying.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I hated La La Land and liked Song To Song alot.
I really hated La La Land when it started, but ended up enjoying it - a case with many new (mainstream) films. Song to Song is probably my least favourite late Malick (Tree of Life and after), but still a great film to behold. If anything, Lubezki's cinematography is sick (as always) - La La ain't got sh*t on it, although I have to admit it was a solid film, technically. If you liked Song to Song, you really have to check out Malick's oeuvre - especially The Tree of Life - my personal favourite of his.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I really hated La La Land when it started, but ended up enjoying it - a case with many new (mainstream) films. Song to Song is probably my least favourite late Malick (Tree of Life and after), but still a great film to behold. If anything, Lubezki's cinematography is sick (as always) - La La ain't got sh*t on it, although I have to admit it was a solid film, technically. If you liked Song to Song, you really have to check out Malick's oeuvre - especially The Tree of Life - my personal favourite of his.
Definitely plan to. Only watched his first three and Song To Song so far. Will get to them soon hopefully.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Make sure to also watch his other flicks I did not mention. I prefer The Tree of Life, but they are almost just as great. To the Wonder is wonderful. Get it? Wonderful. Haha. And Knight of Cups is, well, it's capital...?

Very disturbing. Maggie Gyllenhaal in a bravura performance. Brave woman to be naked on screen.

Excellent movie.

I burst into tears at the very end when some information came up before the end credits about what happened to the couple later.
WARNING: "Loving" spoilers below
They go through all that and get peace and then Richard Loving is killed seven years later by a ****ing drunk driver!
for ****s sake. Piss off!

You can't win an argument just by being right!

This mean spirited movie just doesnt want to end, and her shrieking has given me cerebral oedema.

The World's End (2013)

The weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy but still pretty good

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't know who coined this, probably the people who advertised Song to Song, but it has literally nothing in common with La La Land apart from widely understood "music" (but Song to Song is not a musical!). Comparing these two films is a senseless task as Song to Song a typical late Malick stream-of-consciousness film, whereas La La Land is a typical Hollywood musical (with a Demy-esque ending) spiced up with contemporary stars and disgusting "new touch" to it. La La Land is a typical crowd-pleasing cash grab (at least it's well made), whereas Song to Song is a wrongly advertised auteur film. Sure, you can hate or love both or either of them, but saying they have in common anything more than a vague theme of music is already a stretch in and of itself.
are you familiar with the concept of an evil twin

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes -

too much monkey business

These were both from last weekend and YES i realize how schizophrenic they are back to back But thats how I roll...

The Men Behind The Sun

Gruesome and terrible. And most decidedly over the top. Been putting off watching this one but finally sucked it up and took it in. Lots of really horrific scenes but sometimes its too over the top for its own good and becomes a little too slapstick and too casual with the gore to match the seriousness of its message and I found that slightly annoying. The last scene was super dead serious and wonderfully symbolic and absolutely excellent and I wish the whole movie had been like that. Im glad they made a movie about this. It doesn’t get enough exposure really. But I wont be watching this one again for a long time… 6/10.

Alice In Wonderland (1999)

Bland and uninspired. I can see why Tina Majorino took a 5 year hiatus after this one. Self described “burnout” at 14. The poor child. But it seemed to help. She came back at 19 to do a great job in her quirky portrayal of Deb in Napoleon Dynamite and then went on to a solid career in main stays like Greys Anatomy and True Blood and Legends. But here she looked out of place and unimpressive (the terrible English accent didn’t help). The all star cast was nice (Ben Kingsley, Martin Short, Whoopi Goldberg, Peter Ustinov, Christopher Lloyd, Gene Wilder, Robbie Coltrane, Miranda Richardson, George Wendt) but it didn’t make up for the milk toast treatment of the material. Avoid. 4/10.

Bushwick (2017)

Bushwick has its heart in the right place, informing what could be mindless action fodder with political intent, but the showy, video game-esque shooting style only serves to undercut the severity the material should hold. Maybe it's a calculated Trojan Horse meant to ferry a purposeful message to the widest audience with the most base interest in cinema. The nature of its ending suggest otherwise. Regardless, it doesn't portray the hell of war or the violent maintenance of freedom any better than a cut scene in the latest Call of Duty can.

Addendum: Somebody let Aesop Rock score their horror movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Roast of Trump

Everyone was mentioning him running for President in 2011 for the following year. The show is vulgar, because they aren't clever.

I prefer the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast -- Ralph Nader

Manchester by the Sea (2016) (Dir. Kenneth Lonergan)

I'd heard about the havoc this movie would wreck on me emotionally, but nobody told me it so readily found humor in the pain. It's not at the expense of the emotions, but in the interest of authenticity regarding a people's culture, specifically Irish Catholics, and the blunt manner in which they respond to the world. It cuts through the decorum and ritual of death as exemplified by the scene at the funeral home. It's not reserved to playing one somber note instead focusing on the arrhythmia and intermittent cacophony of grieving. Despite the score occasionally approaching obnoxious, Lonergan shows impeccable taste and awareness for his characters and their troubles.

Welcome to the human race...
Do you mean Gosling?
If only there was a metaphor that could be used to signify the concept of two entities that share superficial similarities but are fundamentally opposed to one another underneath those similarities...

Loveless -

I wonder if I've ever actually seen a Russian film that wasn't miserable.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Didnt like it the first time and I think I fell asleep. Much better for me on a rewatch but what the hell is with the skin suit, and what was the scene where she was getting out of it then seconds later she was back in it.

Back to bromance. I love the young aussie actress, Angourie Rice

Triple 9 (2016)

Actually pretty decent. It was good being able to understand Casey Affleck for a change although I couldn't buy Kate Winslet's character.

+
I had a dream about that movie the night after I saw it. Bizarrely, it merged with Black Rain. Wtf...?

Rewatch after many years:

or 3. Can't decide.

Still a charming little horror (complete with that incredible character stupidity only horror movies seem to have) but the makeup didn't age well at all.