MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

He's not even really fit. He's just obsessive. He's not fat at all but he thinks he is - he's like ten pounds over his goal weight - and I think the problem might be he eats a lot. He says if you exercise you can eat as much as you want, and I think I need to start slapping him whenever he says that from now on.

Don't mean to give him a bad rap though, he does have solid advice to offer. But sometimes I think he was misinformed.
Yeah, sounds he got a lot of things twisted...

It sounds like my dad, that one about exercising enough you'll be good and can just eat whatever. Well, it's not downright incorrect. But even if you manage to keep your weight or very slowly lose it, you could triple (or more) your results AND it'll be a lot healthier. Eating healthy and eating right gets you results on the inside as well. That kind of healthy lifestyle you don't usually see. He may be keeping his weight or even losing weight, but if you are eating healthy and exercising you are doing it more healthy than he is and your results are actually better than his.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
*Invisible hug* hope you get better Dani. Sorry I had missed that.
That's OK buddy, I was just having a pity party where I had the music up really loud but couldnt sing like a fog horn and dance like elain from seinfeld. I was more like this elaine

Went to the chiro and she made me scream quite a lot. I even dropped a couple of bad words accidentally - they just flew out. She laughed.

As for your question about what's the best amount of time on the treadmill - where you're at. Dont compare yourself to your friend. I would stick with 20 mins more or less and every few days or when you feel ready increase speed or incline.

Chyp I got your post comment and thanks for the tip. I think since I'm pretty young I'll do a combo of walking and running. I like the feeling I get from running which is why I'm going to keep that up, but yeah, I won't do an hour every day. I'll probably do a little bit of running mixed into a larger amount of walking.
That's cool bro', wasn't trying to say stop the running just pointing out that brisk walking can burn just as much 'cos you should be able to up the duration accordingly and the longer you are exercising the less time there is to be tempted to graze

I do a combo of both myself with far more walking than running these days as I was told a few years ago I shouldn't run anymore (which is why I'm now having weight issues )

What would you guys say, that considered, is a good length of time to be on the treadmill?
Half an hour a day of exercise (whether on a treadmill or hiking or whatever) is generally recommended, personally I do about an hour a day 'cos that allows me the extra odd treat.

He's not even really fit. He's just obsessive. He's not fat at all but he thinks he is - he's like ten pounds over his goal weight - and I think the problem might be he eats a lot. He says if you exercise you can eat as much as you want, and I think I need to start slapping him whenever he says that from now on.

Don't mean to give him a bad rap though, he does have solid advice to offer. But sometimes I think he was misinformed.
The main reason this is a bad approach is that you become conditioned to a larger calorie intake and if at some point you can't keep up the same level of exercise for whatever reason then you're looking at potential weight issues unless eating adjustments are made to balance. And as much as we might feel invincible when young most of us eventually get old and less able.

Cool. I'll work up to half an hour. I found yesterday that adjusting the incline even a little bit makes the treadmill much more challenging. A good thing, of course, but I wasn't able to do twenty minutes again because of it - I managed 15 minutes. So a very short-term goal is to be able to do twenty minutes with higher incline. Baby steps!

I've also noticed, and I was expecting this, that my weight has stabilized. It's not going down every day anymore. This is completely fine, because I was told it would happen (I particularly remember talking about it with JJ), and JJ said to just wait it out and keep doing what I'm doing. For now, my focus is to figure out my routine, which seems to be naturally developing. And as I do this, I can find ways to push myself harder, of course an appropriate amount.

Life is good!

Has anyone here tried kombucha? It was recommended to me yesterday by a holistic practitioner.

Has anyone here tried kombucha? It was recommended to me yesterday by a holistic practitioner.
I like kombucha personally, but have only had it a few times. You try it yet?

----

So, I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 279.5. I've noticed - and yeah, I know the scale is weird but I'm also noticing patterns with it - that when I eat bad and too much during the day, it shows on the scale. I really want to stay in the 70's and not go back to the 80's, so seeing that number is a great motivator to keep having good healthy days.

And I've upped my game with the physical activity. A few days in the past week I've gone hiking and to the gym in the same day.

But while I still believe weight loss is a mixture of good diet and physical activity, I give the edge to diet quite a bit. I think that's the most important part. Physical activity is great for overall health, I'm not putting it down in any way, but in terms of purely weight loss, I feel the best change you can make to get that going is probably diet.

Anyway, despite this healthy lifestyle, James Cameron might give me a heart attack now.

Yeah I bought ginger and lemon. Tasted like dry ginger ale.

It is all over the place here in the US.

I tried it but was not too crazy about it. I guess you are suppose to drink it because it is good for you not because of a great taste. It was ok. A bit too fermented for me and once they add all the sugars and flavor to it you have to question how great is it really for you.

while I still believe weight loss is a mixture of good diet and physical activity, I give the edge to diet quite a bit. I think that's the most important part. Physical activity is great for overall health, I'm not putting it down in any way, but in terms of purely weight loss, I feel the best change you can make to get that going is probably diet
You have to do what works for you. But . . . keep in mind that not only are calories burned during exercise, you keep burning calories when resting POST-exercise. At least for a time. I don't see how anyone can maintain a good weight & be mentally well without daily exercise.

I hve just come to the conclusion that kombucha smells like a sweaty armpit.

I'm taking a nutrition class. Had my first class yesterday. I have social anxiety (some of you already know all about my brain!) and have always been terrified of the classroom setting, so I was super proud to have forced myself to go yesterday. As it turns out, it was a breeze. We had to do group stuff too, which I've always been petrified of but it was kinda fun. Teacher seems great.

Good work buddy!
nutrition >>> oldtrition imo

Hope it's still going forward for you, Swan!

Personally I'm been really proud of myself lately. Some of you know what I've been through in the past but I'm not afraid to state it all here. I've had a period of stress, depression and anxiety in the past, all of which show their signs once in a while. I feel it under the surface... it never completely disappears. I've had 3 deaths in the family within 1,5 years and I've also had to quit my work due to poor support and poor work conditions...

So yeah, it's not been easy, I've been seeing a psychologist too to help me get back on track and it's been a great help. I feel like I'm doing much better now than how I was in the past. I'm been gaining weight all this time, but I'm on a track to lose it again. I'm keeping up with my workouts, switching equally between running and doing strength/cardio exercise.

I can see my shape getting back and my muscles are more noticeable. The funny thing is, because I've always been rather fit all the muscles are there under the newly gained fat. so I'm like a very fit person with a fat suit. That said, if yall actually saw me you would probably say I'm crazy, because I'm not fat nor overweight or anything. But Id like to be in really good shape, so I basically just need to trim that fat down and build muscle - the latter also for my general health because I had a chest injury and that has kept me a bit away from that area, causing my upper back to also get worse and I've been sinking down a bit and I need to straighten out my body and keep upright again.

I'm off running again today, usually I just do around 6 km with a good pace and monitor my heartrate.

Unregistered User
Hope it's still going forward for you, Swan!

Personally I'm been really proud of myself lately. Some of you know what I've been through in the past but I'm not afraid to state it all here. I've had a period of stress, depression and anxiety in the past, all of which show their signs once in a while. I feel it under the surface... it never completely disappears. I've had 3 deaths in the family within 1,5 years and I've also had to quit my work due to poor support and poor work conditions...

So yeah, it's not been easy, I've been seeing a psychologist too to help me get back on track and it's been a great help. I feel like I'm doing much better now than how I was in the past. I'm been gaining weight all this time, but I'm on a track to lose it again. I'm keeping up with my workouts, switching equally between running and doing strength/cardio exercise.

I can see my shape getting back and my muscles are more noticeable. The funny thing is, because I've always been rather fit all the muscles are there under the newly gained fat. so I'm like a very fit person with a fat suit. That said, if yall actually saw me you would probably say I'm crazy, because I'm not fat nor overweight or anything. But Id like to be in really good shape, so I basically just need to trim that fat down and build muscle - the latter also for my general health because I had a chest injury and that has kept me a bit away from that area, causing my upper back to also get worse and I've been sinking down a bit and I need to straighten out my body and keep upright again.

I'm off running again today, usually I just do around 6 km with a good pace and monitor my heartrate.

Good to hear MM!

Oh dear. Who on earth needs to be told this is probably not such a good idea just because Goop Gwyneth one day said it was. Silly Gerard. What on earth was he thinking. Yes I am judging you, dude.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...al?CMP=soc_567

Oh dear. Who on earth needs to be told this is probably not such a good idea just because Goop Gwyneth one day said it was. Silly Gerard. What on earth was he thinking. Yes I am judging you, dude.

Bee venom, or snake venom is a thing in ancient chinese medicine, so I'm not surprised if some people still believe in it. The thing that matters is how you use that venom and not just inject tons of it into your blood. Poor silly Gerard.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I didn't realize it, but I've had arthritis in my two hands for a while now, but it's getting so bad that I can't use the computer much, and I won't even try to play my guitar, keyboard, etc... I bought some ginger (barely touched it)..

I didn't realize it, but I've had arthritis in my two hands for a while now, but it's getting so bad that I can't use the computer much, and I won't even try to play my guitar, keyboard, etc... I bought some ginger (barely touched it)..
Have you had arthritis diagnosed Matt?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
"So I did it ...AGAIN!"

BWAHAHAHAHA