Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Yes, of course, Martin Sheen. He adds goodness to any movie, even if he's a bit of a creep lol.
All that nuclear button stuff was great. And of course he played the President in The West Wing later on.

And yeah, totally. Goldblum is affable and then he turns brutal, but then he turns again into a combination of hideous, dangerous and sympathetic..he did terrific work with his arc.
Yeah, it's a fantastic performance – tough watch as well.

All that nuclear button stuff was great. And of course he played the President in The West Wing later on.

Yeah, it's a fantastic performance – tough watch as well.
It really is a tough watch. The vomit scenes and the body parts falling off were atrocious to me. Mr. Body Horror, David Cronenberg.

I think I'll check out Naked Lunch sometime soon. Haven't seen it since around 1996.

I have not seen Insomnia, but Dunkirk might be the worst Nolan movie I have seen.

Just cinematography, that's it. This movie gives you nothing more.

I have not seen Insomnia, but Dunkirk might be the worst Nolan movie I have seen.

Just cinematography, that's it. This movie gives you nothing more.
Insomnia was decent. I haven't seen the original, but as a standalone, it's very good.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) -

Edgar Wright can do no wrong

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)

+

I watched this because it's on the top 100 laughs list. A married couple, their two daughters, maid, and bird live in a cramped Manhattan apartment. After buying a house in the country in Connecticut, they face nightmare after nightmare. It's a very straightforward premise, and at first, I appreciated that the humor wasn't over the top. After a while, I thought that maybe some chances should have been taken. I found the whole thing to be enjoyable, but nothing more. I think people who have bought a home before will find this movie relatable in some way; at least it was for me. Good performances from stars Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Melvyn Douglas.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Eh, it's not such a bad way to spend a couple hours. Talk about unfairly maligned for dumb stupid reasons.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Strangers (2008)

There was a recent thread about mediocre...this would fall in and around that category. Full of jump scares, a geniunely scary scenario, a competently shot film with standard characters. Other than that, theres nothing more to it, no depth or emotion, nothing that really sticks with you.

When I was single, years ago I heard the best type of movies to see on a date/or at home, were horror/thriller movies where he/she jumped into your arms and needed to cuddle up. This is the perfect movie for that, if that's actually true....but I wouldn't know...don't take my word, I'm just trying to make a positive out of non stop jump scares.

3/5 stars, an extra half because of Liv Tyler

Welcome to the human race...
Sabotage (2014) -

"Come on Cohaagen, you've got what you want. Give these people Ayer."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dunkirk

(Christopher Nolan)

With Dunkirk, Nolan delivers a pulse pounding war film that leaves the bloodshed at home and instead focuses on the tension and dread one would feel when left alone to die. Told from three different perspectives; the soldiers on the beach, the pilots in the air and the civilians in the boats, Nolan again plays with time and perspective to give another element to a generally straight forward genre.

I didn't know what to expect from this film, it being his shortest one since Following, based on historical events and his first solo writing credit. Knowing that he couldn't (or shouldn't) play his usual tricks on the audience, given the subject matter, Nolan relies on the visuals instead of the story. The film is gorgeous to look at and effectively places you at Dunkirk, or even more miraculously, in the air with those planes. While it leaves the usual layered story telling Nolan is known for at home, it still tells a compelling enough tale to engage the viewers experience.

Characters are more or less one-note. This film isn't concerned with giving anyone a particular arc, it's more focused on the soldiers as a whole. War was never really one person's story and this is about the effort for the rescue. So while I can understand some people having complaints about a lack of story or connections to characters, it didn't bother me so much. It's a sad fact, but it's true that some nameless soldiers defended our lands and instead of Nolan glorifying anyone in particular, he shines a light on everyone.

I mentioned being put into the experience of flying and Dunkirk's highlights for me is when we are in the air. Using Imax cameras, Nolan captures the perfect flying experience. Beautifully shot by Hoyte van Hoytema, whom also worked on Interstellar, Dunkirk is one of, if not the, most beautifully shot Nolan film to date. Aiding the visuals is the score by Hans Zimmer. A constant ticking is almost current throughout the whole film, always letting us know these men are out of time.

I felt a smile creep on my face when we see the shot of all the civilian boats in the water. Mankind coming together for the good of the world is always a nice feeling. The story line that involves Cillian Murphy on the boat felt a bit awkward and used for forced tension for their side of the story, but it's a small distraction in an otherwise well done war film. Dunkirk is not Nolan's best, but it shows he doesn't need to rely on tricks or gimmicks to make an engaging film.

Suspect's Reviews

It really is a tough watch. The vomit scenes and the body parts falling off were atrocious to me. Mr. Body Horror, David Cronenberg.

I think I'll check out Naked Lunch sometime soon. Haven't seen it since around 1996.
I never saw that but I did see Videodrome, after one false start. And I liked Crash too.

The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)

Nicely atmospheric period horror in places but sadly just too much of a strain at times to make the dialogue come hither