A Jackie Brown Discussion

→ in
Tools    

I own Jackie Brown on DVD, the only reason I own it is because it came with the Quentin Tarantino Box Set that you can get in the UK. I only bought the Box Set for Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, I didn't really like or want Jackie Brown. Having just watched it for the third time now, I've realised that Jackie Brown is a really good film. The first time I saw it I disliked it, I thought it was pretty boring. But with this film, it seems to get better everytime I watch it - It's like what QT says on the DVD. The dialougue in this movie is excellent and the soundtrack is brilliant.

I think Jackie Brown is under-apriciated because it was nothing like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Say if QT's name wasn't on Jackie Brown, it may have recieved more praise.

Not many people like Jackie Brown. There's the people who say it's QT's best film just to be cool and retro when they know it's really not.

What do you guys think about Jackie Brown?

Bug Planet Proximus
i'm sorry but im a non beleiver

I'd be lying if i said QT's involvement in the movie had nothing to do with my perception of it. But, you wouldnt be able to tell if its a tarantino movie mostly for one underlying reason.. its ****. All his other movies have a distinct mark on them but these dont match because they are way too expected and that is exactly what you get(only in a worse way).

The dialogue of this film is much more amateur than anything he's done before and more likely to be his debut. Every one of the sets used in the movie i hated and found to be plain and boring. The characters were bad, overdone and/or lifeless. It was bad enough De Niro had to stick his beak into yet another movie for the sake of it, but i found his character completely unlikable and boring. Samuel L. Jacksons villain was quite typical and expected. The story was achingly painful to watch. Every costume and gimmick used was bad or annoying. The best asset it has is its soundtrack.
I dont like to factor this in, but it was the worst possible way to follow a movie like Pulp Fiction. I find i often perceive and rate movies without bias or another influence. Usually i am right about that but this seems to be the only movie that i cant picture without saying the word dissapointing.

In the Beginning...
I found it to be quite unique, and I enjoyed it. I think this was Tarantino's pitch to direct a more conventional film, while still retaining particular elements of style - namely, his dynamic characters, revolving plot, and distinct camera work. The cast did nicely (especially Rebert DeNiro, who played a role that was atypical of the ones he normally adopts), and the story was entertaining.

It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable.

Parky i agree with you. when i first saw it i thought it was pretty boring and dumb. but then i rented it again a few weeks later and i really started to like and appreciat(SP??) it. i did find myself confused at some parts but thats alright. now i cant wait to buy this film once i get the money.

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
i'm sorry but im a non beleiver

The dialogue of this film is much more amateur than anything he's done before and more likely to be his debut.
The dialogue in this film is suberb. The characters talk as if they would speak in real life. You can easily tell that this film isn't his debut, this film shows a much more mature filmaker in QT.

Every one of the sets used in the movie i hated and found to be plain and boring.
I thought that the sets looked realistic. I didn't know that sets had to be specially decorated for people's viewing pleasure, I thought we were suppose to be paying atttention to the actors.

The characters were bad, overdone and/or lifeless.
How can you say that? All the characters in this film are unique and have great depth. Every actor put in a Class A performance. Even if I didn't like the film the first time I saw it, I still had to admit that the acting was spot on. Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Forster showcased two brilliant performances. Almost every actor in the film did a good job.

Did you know that in England, the special features disc for the Jackie Brown DVD has an 18 rating, but the film disc only has a 15 rating. Thought you might want to know that.

When i first watched Jackie brown i was like this cant be Quentin's work. Most of his films are bloody. This film is Unique cause its different from all his other films he made. Jackie Brown did have some blood in it but wasnt as much as his other Movies like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. But i liked Jackie Brown. I havent read the novel and ill try to borrow it from a library or something.... But Overall Jackie Brown would probably be my least favorite out of QT's Film. But it doesnt mean Jackie Brown was horrible. Overall it was a good Movie

I loved Jackie Brown the first time I watched it.

Jackie Brown is a book-to-film adaptation, and that's probably why it doesn't have a distinct Tarantino feel to it. (It does in my opinion, but I'm just saying.)

Bad Morther****er
All his other movies have a distinct mark on them but these dont match because they are way too expected and that is exactly what you get(only in a worse way).

The dialogue of this film is much more amateur than anything he's done before and more likely to be his debut. Every one of the sets used in the movie i hated and found to be plain and boring.
D'yer Mak'er you make good points. But I feel that the dialog was far more substantive than in the first two films. This movie depended far more on the dialog, in order to move forward, in comparision to the Dogs and Fiction. This, in my opinion, hurts the pacing a bit. Also it must be remembered that Tarantino was starting from a different point with this movie. Instead of crafting this solely, he was working to preserve the essense of Elmore Leonard’s style, while adding a bit of his own flourish. With that being said I think QT did a great job on this film.

Also I think many people fall into the trap of judging it aginst Pulp Fiction, which is a bit unfair. If you judge the film on its own merits I think it's a quite well done movie. So many people went into this movie expecting Pulp Fiction 2 and were disappointed when they got Jackie Brown.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Jackie Brown is awsome it is a really good movie.

I am a huge QT.

Originally Posted by PuppetMaster
I am a huge QT.
I weigh a quarter ton too!

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
I weigh a quarter ton too!
WAH, Wah, wahhhhh. . .

Jackie Brown is definately my least favorite Tarantino film. The dialogue and cast are superb, but it just didn't appeal to me the way RD, PF, and Kill Bill 1 and 2 did.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I enjoyed Jackie Brown! I havent watched it recently, but when I saw it I thought it was perhaps QT's specific attempt at comedy. All of his movies are good. This one, while different, is no exception.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I quite liked Jackie Brown, not my favourite Quentin Tarrantino film, but it's still pretty good.

"I can't help it..."
I didn't like Jackie Brown the first time I watched it, but on my second viewing I really started to appreciate it. And now it is one of my favorite films. I even like it more than Reservoir Dogs.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

this definitly is my least favorite QT movie but its still really good. i just didnt really like the predictable endiing. Reservoir dogs and Pulp fiction both had awesome endings but i didnt really like this one.