Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

#94 - Cocktail (1988) ~ August 14

This was on TV and I kept watching. There's not much to this except for Cruise making cocktails and some beautiful women.

#95 - Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) ~ August 14

A lovely film by Tati! His original way of using the forces of cinema is highly enjoyable to watch and incredibly inspiring. This is not as overwhelming as Playtime, which I consider to be one of the craziest masterpieces of all time, but it's just as charming if not more! I can't wait to see the rest of his work.

#94 - Cocktail (1988) ~ August 14

This was on TV and I kept watching. There's not much to this except for Cruise making cocktails and some beautiful women.

Did you watch Haeven? I think you will like that one. Did you watch Oslo, August 31? I recall recommending that to you one day.

Cocktail is one of my most hated films. I get the weirdest sickly, unpleasant feeling thinking about that film; don't know why or how to explain it, maybe i was literally sick while watching it haha. Had it on a double Cruise Vhs with The Color of Money which i loved when i was younger, always skipped Cocktail of course.

Have got to see more Tati as i liked Playtime alot. Manchester By The Sea was one of my favourites from last year. Have you seen anything else by the director? I wasn't a big fan of Margaret personally.

Manchester By The Sea was one of my favourites from last year. Have you seen anything else by the director? I wasn't a big fan of Margaret personally.
I haven't so far.

@Cobpyth @Camo You guys should both check out You Can Count On Me. I think there is a good chance you both will like it quite a bit. Of course I liked Margaret, but Manchester and Count On Me are superior films.

@Cobpyth @Camo You guys should both check out You Can Count On Me. I think there is a good chance you both will like it quite a bit. Of course I liked Margaret, but Manchester and Count On Me are superior films.
Manchester is his best, I didn't particularly like You can count on me. Margaret is a slow burner, but the ending moved me to tears. He's a very very good scriptwriter.

The start of Margaret moved me close to tears then i thought it was overlong and messy. I didn't even dislike it think i gave it
, but i read about it's troubled production history after watching it and IMO it shows, it's hard to care about most of the middle of that fillm. Will check out You Can Count On Me.

#97 - Nobody Knows (2004) ~ August 18

Fantastic humane tale. This was my second Koreeda film. I can't wait to see the rest of his work.

#98 - Home (2016) ~ September 7

Interesting Belgian film about puberty, family and the tragedies of life.

P.S. Man, I wish I had more time to watch films.

#99 - Mother! (2017) ~ September 17

Aronofsky brings us an interesting perspective on what it feels like to live under the dark love wings of an egotistical and narcissistic tyrant. The film may hit its point home a bit too agressively and excessively at times, but then again, that's perfectly consistent with the rest of the director's oeuvre. I liked it and even thought it was quite an interesting film in general, but I ultimately couldn't love it.

#100 - I Saw the Devil (2010) ~ September 30

This is a very capable film from a technical point of view and quite an entertaining one as well. The film only truly works during the moments when it's not taking itself too serious.

#101 - The Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015) ~ October 7

Great little sexy coming of age film. Enjoyed it a lot!

#102 - The Reagan Show (2017) ~ October 8

Interesting little documentary about Reagan's masterful way of manipulating the media and his public image and what it may tell us about the culture we live in. The doc also makes clear where the current president got a lot of his inspiration by drawing certain implicit parallels between Reagan then and Trump today (even though the latter is never physically mentioned in the doc). Cool watch for fans of the game of politics!

#103 - Delicatessen (1991) ~ October 13

Beautiful, original and wild film. Loved it!

#104 - The Meyerowitz Stories (2017) ~ October 22

I think Noah Baumbach has officially joined the very select group of modern filmmakers that I get really excited about when they release a new film. This lovely comical piece about a family in a time of reflection didn't disappoint! I laughed out loud quite a few times while never getting distracted from the warmth of the film's emotional core.
Adorable piece of personal cinema!