Locke (Tom Hardy)

→ in
Tools    

This morality play is a brilliant, gripping drama about one man's attempt to keep his head and 'do the right thing'. Never has a 90 minute motorway drive via Luton been so eventful. But while the camera never leaves the car, the drama is made so vivid through Hardy's reactions to every phone call he makes and receives. The one man, one location claustrophobic action is reminiscent of films such as Buried and All is Lost, but while those films largely deal with events beyond the control of the central character, Locke's actions are knowingly the cause of his own (possible) downfall. An impressive piece of writing. 9/10

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Love this movie. It seems so simple, yet it is such a complex and rich story. This is the first movie in a long time that actually made me feel something.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
LOCKE

Ever Since Bronson, Tom Hardy has always been one of the most unique actors in the entire business. The Dark Knight Rises, Warrior, Inception, and his most recent hit Mad Max: Fury Road, Tom Hardy has proven that he knows how to play a character, but for some reason, none have ever been as unique as Ivan Locke. From the first few seconds of the film, to the last you can't tell what it is that Locke is thinking, or what he might do next. If you haven't seen the movie, you might be wondering why this Tom Hardy performance stands out from all of the others, and it's simple, he is the only performer. The entire film takes place inside of Ivan Locke's car as he takes phone calls from friends, family, and co-workers, that's right the ENTIRE MOVIE takes place inside of a car.

While this might sound like a tedious snooze-fest for some, this was one of the most riveting movies of 2014. Tom Hardy delivers by far the best performance of his career due to great direction by Steven Knight, who also wrote the screenplay. The reason that I am not telling you much of the plot is because I don't want you to know it. Please do not look up anything about this movie, go into it knowing nothing and you will have the best experience.

The main strong point of Locke is definitely the previously mentioned outstanding performance by Tom Hardy. The way that he can shape even the most bland characters into in-depth character studies is incredible and he is one of the most talented actors working today.

An interesting thing that I recently discovered after researching the film is that the entire movie was filmed like a play, it was all just Tom Hardy, siting in a car, driving down the highway, with three cameras pointed at him. They only stopped to replace the memory cards. This only impressed be more as I discovered the work and effort that both Tom Hardy and Steven Knight put into this film.

WARNING: "Spoilers for the ending of LOCKE" spoilers below
The best part in the Movie by far was the ending, I loved the way that they told you that happy endings don't always happen, sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. The filmmakers steered (no pun intended) away from the stereotypical hollywood ending in a way that should be applauded.

All in all, Locke was a great movie, and it didn't just ride on one gimmick *cough cough* Boyhood *cough cough*. I highly recommend it for practically anyone.

Interesting to watch cause it's something new but the movie itself is mediocre,in my opinion.

Interesting to watch cause it's something new but the movie itself is mediocre,in my opinion.
*gasp*

What I meant is, I found it interesting just because it was different, as in all action was in a car and the guy only talked on the phone. But I found the plot itself very simple and kind of boring.

Sorry for my bad English :p
i really love this movie , one of my favorite 2014 films , good story and great performance by Tom Hardy !

I thought Tom Hardy was very good, and I read somewhere on here that his Welsh accent was impressive – I certainly found it consistent and believable enough.

WARNING: spoilers below
The problem I had was with some of the callers. I found that I was doubting the performances quite a lot, as if some of the actors were pitching it either wrong or too far. It was as if they were playing it for radio rather than there being the imperfections you might notice if it was a real telephone call.

What was intriguing to me was reading the cast list at the end and discovering who had played who. I recognized Olivia Colman's voice but weirdly I thought she was playing Ivan's wife and possibly also Bethan. As it turned out Katrina was Ruth Wilson. The character of Sister Margaret was immediately different to me because the person sounded so realistic – granted her calmness would be due to a certain amount of professionalism but I still think Alice Lowe played it perfectly.

When I saw Danny Webb's name on the cast I smiled and thought: I bet he was Cassidy, that really peculiar and obnoxious civil servant. That's because, having listened to his work on audio I know what an incredibly versatile voice actor he is, which perhaps wouldn't immediately be apparent. He can be pretty much unrecognisable I think, and maybe that was true in Locke.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Hardy was really good in it. It's one of my favourite movies type - action closed in one "room". Like "12 angry men". And the plot engross very much.

I really wish this was on Netflix or HBO. F'in concrete and illegitimate children. Amazing.

I really wish this was on Netflix or HBO. F'in concrete and illegitimate children. Amazing.
I know – who knew these things would go together so well.

I just like idea of Bane as Spider-Man's dad.
– Yeah, I was reading it as Tom Hollander at first and thinking: what, he was the kid!? But no, it was Tom Holland.

Actually, it's even better – Venom is Spider-Man's dad .

This might just do nobody any good.
Maybe Hollander should play Holland's dad!

Or Uncle Ben!

Actually, it's even better – Venom is Spider-Man's dad .
Haha, I forgot he was doing that. That's amazing!

Maybe Hollander should play Holland's dad!

Or Uncle Ben!
It was nice to see Martin Sheen playing him in the Andrew Garfield ones. Felt a bit like Glenn Ford playing Jonathan Kent.

Tom Hollander would be a good baddie I think. There must be a Spider-Man villain with his name on it.

Haha, I forgot he was doing that. That's amazing!
I know, it's quite a recent thing.

Hollander might be a good Dock Ock.
Yeah, it's interesting that they've already done the Green Goblin twice so maybe Doc Ock could be on again sooner than we think. Alfred Molina was so good I thought. Great design for the arms as well.

simple and very effective premise , i started to like tom hardy after his secondary role in Inception.