Am I the only one who didn't like Spider-Man: Homecoming???

→ in
Tools    

I just saw this on IMAX, and I wanted to like it so much, but I just couldn't...

Checking on the reviews here and there, people seem to LOVE it.

I ended up giving it a
, and I knew I was being generous even.

Reasons I didn't like it:

1) It's not funny when Marvel tries to be funny in every 2 minutes.
2) Villain starts strong, but falls easy at the end. This is in every Marvel movies pretty much.
3) Some action scenes are done very lazy. This is also in every Marvel movies pretty much.
4) Spidey's movement is too CGI, doesn't have any gravity feel
5) Other than Spidey and villain, I didn't like or care about any other characters
6) Spidey seems incompetent in this movie without Iron Man's suit and help. Also his motive is to be cool or to impress others, which seems lame and selfish.

Welcome to the human race...
I also gave it
, but that means that I actually kind of like it.

I also gave it
, but that means that I actually kind of like it.

I didn't grow up in North America, hence Spiderman is not my biggest hero in my childhood. But if that was the case, I could see myself hate this movie even more.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not to really defend it or anything, I just wanted to hit a few points. If for nothing else, than to avoid office work.

2) Villain starts strong, but falls easy at the end. This is in every Marvel movies pretty much.

Agreed. I did, however, like that the guy was just a normal Joe. No mutant powers. No world domination/destruction/alternate dimension teleportation themes here. Just good ole American black market capitalism and greed. I can get behind that.

Agreed. His motions a lot of times seemed too quick and light. With that said though, I have seen videos on YouTube of him practicing his tumbles and flips. Kid was pretty fast there so remembering that during the movie actually helped push back my need to knit-pick the CGI. The kid is actually pretty limber and snappy.

6) Spidey seems incompetent in this movie without Iron Man's suit and help. Also his motive is to be cool or to impress others, which seems lame and selfish

Eh, I can accept this. Though I think part of his character growth (for as much as it can be in a super hero movie) was to learn to not rely on the suit. "if you need the suit, you're not ready." Or something along those lines was the reoccurring theme.

As to his motives to impress, the character was what like 15? In highschool? That was motive #1 for most of us Or at least in a casual top 10. Kids are selfish. The lil buggers, they are.

Ok. time to work. bleh.

Welcome to the human race...
I didn't grow up in North America, hence Spiderman is not my biggest hero in my childhood. But if that was the case, I could see myself hate this movie even more.
Perhaps. What did you make of the other Spider-Man movies?

Nah man, you're totally wrong! The annoying as f**k british wankers at WhatCulture think it's amazing! Because It's a comic book movie with jokes, and plenty of action! So of course you're wrong mate. Building on that first appearance, Homecoming goes hard on Tom Holland's excellent, enormously charming performance, adds a great villain with complexity in Michael Keaton's Vulture and offers the best Spider-Man of any film. And incredibly, it didn't even try and lean heavily on Robert Downey Jr's role, which ended up being no more than an extended cameo. Nothing to do with great direction or writing, character dynamics, or any thematic elements. Just another Marvel Product where things happen that we like! SO THAT MUST MEAN IT'S AMAZING! Same thing with Rogue One, which was a bloody triumph! 😭🔫

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Even if it was the GOAT film, I would hate it because they spawn different Spiderman's faster than he spins a web.

I actually liked it a lot, and it was funny as tom holland plays the spiderman tht should be, a kid trying his best , wonder how tom holland would be if he played the grittier spiderman and spiderman 2

This was my first Spidey movie and I thought it was great.

That's the beauty of comedy, some people find it funny, others don't.

2) Villain starts strong, but falls easy at the end.

I felt he had the exact same amount of power and control throughout the story.

3) Some action scenes are done very lazy.

You'll have to elaborate, I have no idea what you're talking about. Use of CGI, not enough movement,etc.

Didn't bother me.

6) His motive is to be cool or to impress others, which seems lame and selfish.

Well he's 15 in the movie. Did you think his motive was gonna be to get over his mid-life crisis?

Nah man, you're totally wrong! The annoying as f**k british wankers at WhatCulture think it's amazing! Because It's a comic book movie with jokes, and plenty of action!]
If I had a penny for every time WhatCulture talked about Star Wars or comic book movies.

It's not funny when Marvel tries to be funny in every 2 minutes.

Agreed ten fold. It's one of the dozens of reasons why 'Civil War' didn't work for me. It definitely kills the severity and impact of the events that occur in the film. (Ala; 100 Punchlines and Jokes during the Airport Scene. And the infamous "Tony Stank" which almost made me commit suicide, It was the first and probably only time I've hated seeing Stan Lee in a Marvel Movie.)

If I had a penny for every time WhatCulture talked about Star Wars or comic book movies.
If I had a penny every time WhatCulture PRAISED Rogue One and every single Marvel Film with almost a blind automaton-like fanboy mentality, confusing that same mentality for what qualifies as a great film, like they even know what that means. Wanker f**ks. Reminds me a lot of these guys, only more annoying, ignorant, and british...

Perhaps. What did you make of the other Spider-Man movies?
Spider-Man (2002)

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - Skipped

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

This was my first Spidey movie and I thought it was great.

2) Villain starts strong, but falls easy at the end.

I felt he had the exact same amount of power and control throughout the story.

You'll have to elaborate, I have no idea what you're talking about. Use of CGI, not enough movement,etc.

Didn't bother me.

6) His motive is to be cool or to impress others, which seems lame and selfish.

Well he's 15 in the movie. Did you think his motive was gonna be to get over his mid-life crisis?

You'll have to elaborate, I have no idea what you're talking about. Use of CGI, not enough movement,etc

Tons of other internal inconsistencies abound - he's strong enough to catch cars but he can't punch through glass - he knocks himself out by jumping into the top of a tractor trailer but can have an entire building dumped on him without injury, etc.

Spider-Man (2002)

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) -

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

I decided not to watch it. I am kind of tired of all of the Spiderman Remakes.

I decided not to watch it. I am kind of tired of all of the Spiderman remakes

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just finished it and I'm pretty much split on it and can't decide if I like it or not.

SPOILERS

The biggest con of the movie for me is I don't really know why Spider-man wants to join The Avengers so much. I saw his introduction in Civil War where Tony Stark wanted to recruit him, but I also didn't buy Tony recruiting him. At least not after he saw him in action. Basically Spider-man is such a hothead that I cannot see Tony thinking that recruiting him would be a good idea.

Plus they never really explain why Spider-man wants to join The Avengers so much in the first place. I mean they said in the movie that he is only 15, so he would probably have his Uncle's murder, still fresh in his mind a lot.

He became a crimefighter as retribution for that happening, but you think he would be more determined in a darker, serious way because of that. He is so happy and filled with so much pep, that why is he after his Uncle being murdered?

I mean that would be a like teenager who say, lost a parent to murder, and was so upset over it to the point where he wanted to join black ops, but he yet he would be so happy and so full of pep over it, that you just wouldn't buy it.

If you're such a happy person, why would you want to fight crime, especially on a level as extreme as The Avengers?

The villain, played by Michael Keaton, I also feel maybe could have used more character development or screentime to explain what he is doing. I mean sure he and his crew got laid off, but is that really enough motivation to sell illegal weaponry on the street?

I mean I use to work in mining and there were lay offs all the time, but no one felt the need to become black market criminals over it. However, I do think that Keaton gave a really good performance in this role.

I thought that maybe the twist having the villain be the father of the Peter Parker's love interest, at first felt forced, but they did some good things with it after, and it worked out well. Keaton is like 20 years older than the actress who is suppose to be his wife, or so it looks like, but I guess some parents are like that .

They also set up a character called MJ, who I guess is suppose to be "Mary-Jane" for the next movie, but I feel this new MJ, isn't as good as Kirstun Dunst's MJ, and I feel that Peter's first love interest Liz, doesn't hold a candle to Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy.

But the movie nevertheless, has a lot of good moments in it, and really liked the ending, cause I felt it's what Peter would do, and I like how it ended for the villain and Liz as well.

Even if it was the GOAT film, I would hate it because they spawn different Spiderman's faster than he spins a web.
Yeah, to me Spider Man is this guy:

Overall I think Spider Man is the greatest American superhero because he embodies the concept more accurately than any other hero and identifies with the target audience of superheroes: he is a nerdy teenager with issues.