MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

Yeah, that's got to be water retention. You can be "good" all day and have something salty or carby right before bed and retain a lot of water overnight, even though the number of calories you took in might equal a fraction of a pound. Don't worry about it.

One thing I did while logging daily weight (highly recommended) was also measure the amount lost on larger scales (3/7/30 days, for example). Good way of ironing out short-term fluctuations.

It takes a bit of getting used to in using your daily progress as a motivator without letting it become discouraging when it doesn't seem like it's working, but if you're eating well and burning more than you're taking in, it has to work. It's physically impossible for it not to.

I've lost track of how many times I've been weirdly flat (or even up a bit) for no particular reason for several days in a row, but whenever it happens, I end up seeing a drop afterwards.

So my weight is kind of fluctuating, and it’s been confusing. Let me explain though. The other day I apparently lost three pounds, and I’m not sure how that’s possible. When I weighed myself this morning though, I weight about two pounds more than that. My dad said not to rely completely on the scale because there are so many factors determining weight, and as long as I keep my healthy lifestyle going and am making progress over the long run, little ticks like this weight weirdness are okay. I had two big meals yesterday which may explain the weight gain of two pounds. They were very healthy meals but when I woke up in the morning I didn’t feel the same amount of hungry stomach as when I lost three pounds, so I’m figuring I still had food in my stomach (or more than the morning prior), which may have contributed. But I need to not worry about it, right? As long as I keep up what I’m doing.

I also didn’t get much physical exercise yesterday, which is really embarrassing. I’m going to kick ass today. The day before yesterday I went to the gym with some friends and literally could only do five minutes on the treadmill before I started getting dizzy. Part of this is not enough water, but also… man, I’m more out of shape than I thought!

All is good, and I’m still as motivated as ever. But it is starting to prove less easy than I initially thought. No biggie. My diet and overall lifestyle has changed for the good, and I figure only good can come from that.
Yeah, weights are only there to worry you. Indeed you should stop checking so often - unless you step of the healthy path or whatever... But if you stay on the healthy path and stay focused then step on that weight once a month or something, so you can actually see some progress if you want BUT remember, when you exercise - even if it's just running/jogging/walking far - you will gain muscle mass and that will make you wonder why you haven't lost as much weight as you thought. But don't worry, you have... you just gained muscle as well.

Also, eating really healthy will keep you full for longer, which is probably why you woke up still not as hungry - especially if it was two big meals.

And you can actually gain weight even by eating healthy, because it's still a lot of food you know... you just gotta balance it out with exercise and you good.

Stay motivated my friend, one step at a time... it's more important to stay in it, and go slowly, than go fast and lose the willpower. You can do it man.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dont teach @Swan about water. He knows everything about it. He is a water bird after all!

Seriously, though. Good work, bro. Lose weight and master that ass and maybe some Swannette will fly to your nest!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll switch to weighing myself weekly for now, and see what happens. I'm hoping it doesn't affect my motivation, but as it is, weighing myself every morning can be good unless it's not going the way I want. Weekly might be better and more effective.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll switch to weighing myself weekly for now, and see what happens. I'm hoping it doesn't affect my motivation, but as it is, weighing myself every morning can be good unless it's not going the way I want. Weekly might be better and more effective.
Good idea – try not to make it a big thing. I'd suggest every two weeks actually.

Gotta find what suits you personally with the scales dude, different people prefer different regimes. Starting out you should drop weight more easily than later on in the process so you might even find that what works for you in that regard right now might not be the same as in six months or a years time ..... gotta go by what feels right to you and adjust your regime if necessary.

I was gonna say weigh yourself once a week instead of every day, and have cereal with skimmed milk before bed if you're hungry, it'll lie less heavy on your stomach during the night.

There's no rule on weight frequency. I do it daily because I really like the feedback, and because it's very easy to think you're eating healthy without paying attention to amount, IE: you eat a bunch of vegetables and grilled chicken, but enough that you'll actually gain weight. Stuff like that.

That's the kind of thing I think I would/have fallen prey to, so I needed to weigh often early on until I had a strong sense of what amount/type of food each day would actually produce weight loss. That may or may not be applicable to you, but that's the balance you're trying to strike: whatever frequency gives you a) more motivation than discouragement, that also b) allows you to figure out what kind of diet actually works, particularly if you're not counting calories.

eating well and/or exercising actually helps improve all of these things.
Without exercise there can be no long-term weight loss. Walking has been so beneficial for me. I think I would be mental without my long daily walk.

Let the night air cool you off
I love watching the scale. I check my weight multiple times a day. It's a motivator to me at this point. If I am happy with losing a pound or two, I want to keep losing more pounds or two. If it's a little higher than I want it to be, then I am motivated to work harder. The downside to checking your weight weekly or biweekly is that if you've developed some laziness or a bad habit, you might not realize it until you've been doing it for a week or two.

You guys are making me feel conflicted. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now. It's been working well at the moment.

Went to the gym again today, and managed to do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I know that's pathetic, but 5 minutes before getting dizzy is even more pathetic. Baby steps. I found I was able to push myself more by easing into the fast speed instead of jumping right into the running.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You guys are making me feel conflicted. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now. It's been working well at the moment.

Went to the gym again today, and managed to do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I know that's pathetic, but 5 minutes before getting dizzy is even more pathetic. Baby steps. I found I was able to push myself more by easing into the fast speed instead of jumping right into the running.
20 minutes is great. Dont give yourself a hard time. Tomorrow if you do 21 minutes give yourself a pt on the head. You're not going to leave the starting box as Usain Bolt, matey.

Still thinking of martial arts or just concentrating on hiking for now?

And no invisible hugs for my cracked rib? Almost passed out just getting out of bed for a wee. Jaysus. The pain is exquisite. Breaking my big toe or accidentally getting punched in the face in the dojo wasnt even this bad. The wreck of the hesperus. I need my mommy although she'd probably guve me a clip across the ear for dropping the f bomb every 3 minutes.

Just be careful not to overdo. IMO you should ease yourself in for about a month or so, and then start pushing yourself harder. People tend to push themselves too hard from the get go, and working out becomes too much of a chore. If you don't push yourself too hard at first (but are still getting work done), you might actually enjoy going to the gym. It'd be easier to make it habitual if you get comfortable with exercise first. Once the habit sets in, you can go full meathead.

And no invisible hugs for my cracked rib? Almost passed out just getting out of bed for a wee. Jaysus. The pain is exquisite. Breaking my big toe or accidentally getting punched in the face in the dojo wasnt even this bad. The wreck of the hesperus. I need my mommy although she'd probably guve me a clip across the ear for dropping the f bomb every 3 minutes.
Feel better. I've never had a cracked rib, but that sounds awful. I know that pain like that makes it impossible to enjoy anything 100%.

Feel better. I've never had a cracked rib, but that sounds awful. I know that pain like that makes it impossible to enjoy anything 100%.
Thanks. They take a while to heal. I've had a few. One on the left dancing drunkenly at work years ago on a friday after lunch, fell and landed on the arm of a chair. 2 on the right at once in 2015 coughing violently. This new one I think is the one I cracked dancing. Holy sweet mother of god. I heard this little voice at 2am squeaking Help Me Help me and realised it was me as Mr D helped me get out of bed. Hobbling around like a geriatric and wheezing like you would not believe.

OK pity party over. Go slay em at the gym, swanny.

Best wishes of recovery to your cracked rib, Dani. I also need my mommy for the slightest fever, or any cough at all. Moms have magic power.

LOL I cant even cough right now, El. A sneeze threatening to come on freaks me out which makes it go away, and gagging is out of the question.

It's not pathetic dude. Why'd you think that?

Know this: NOTHING is pathetic as long as you keep active and do your best. You stepped on treadmill, felt dizzy, and had to stop after 5 minutes. You still stepped on that treadmill and you still made an effort. You went too fast into it, now you know that. Learn from it, don't beat yourself because of it. And look, you just did 20 minutes after learning from your mistake and starting easy. You listened to your body and made progress because of it. The progress came from smart and rational thinking, not from pushing yourself insanely hard.

And 20 minutes is not pathetic... when I run, I run between 20-30 minutes. Sure, I probably run faster and further, but we all start some place. I actually got totally out of shape myself. Tried to jump back into it and was brought down because I was in **** shape. Only when I began accepting my situation and go slow with it and feel comfortable, I started feeling good and doing good.

And you shouldn't feel conflicted about the weight thing. Personally I feel like the others shouldn't have encouraged the weighting as much as they did because I think you showed signs of the weight conflicting you and demotivating you.

But hey, if you feel conflicted I'd probably also say it's best to stay where you are. But if you are willing to do differently, read our suggestions and do what feels right to you... are you really motivated by that weight? Keep weighing often... are you going up and down in mood and worrying because of the weight? Try to wait a little between weigh-ins. Maybe only a day or two for starters. Whatever feels comfortable.

Whatever you do and how you do it is to you and in the big whole the most important thing is just that you keep at it. BUT GO SLOWLY. that's my best advice. Find a routine is more important than finding a tempo... don't rush it; be happy about doing it not how fast you are doing it.

20 minutes is great. Dont give yourself a hard time. Tomorrow if you do 21 minutes give yourself a pt on the head. You're not going to leave the starting box as Usain Bolt, matey.

Still thinking of martial arts or just concentrating on hiking for now?

*Invisible hug* hope you get better Dani. Sorry I had missed that.

Just be careful not to overdo. IMO you should ease yourself in for about a month or so, and then start pushing yourself harder. People tend to push themselves too hard from the get go, and working out becomes too much of a chore. If you don't push yourself too hard at first (but are still getting work done), you might actually enjoy going to the gym. It'd be easier to make it habitual if you get comfortable with exercise first. Once the habit sets in, you can go full meathead.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, ease into it. Actually the 20 minutes felt less painful than the five minutes and I think it's because, like I said, I was easing into the running instead of going full blast from the get go. But yeah... need to keep myself in check for sure.

It's not pathetic dude. Why'd you think that?

Know this: NOTHING is pathetic as long as you keep active and do your best. You stepped on treadmill, felt dizzy, and had to stop after 5 minutes. You still stepped on that treadmill and you still made an effort. You went too fast into it, now you know that. Learn from it, don't beat yourself because of it. And look, you just did 20 minutes after learning from your mistake and starting easy. You listened to your body and made progress because of it. The progress came from smart and rational thinking, not from pushing yourself insanely hard.

And 20 minutes is not pathetic... when I run, I run between 20-30 minutes. Sure, I probably run faster and further, but we all start some place. I actually got totally out of shape myself. Tried to jump back into it and was brought down because I was in **** shape. Only when I began accepting my situation and go slow with it and feel comfortable, I started feeling good and doing good.

And you shouldn't feel conflicted about the weight thing. Personally I feel like the others shouldn't have encouraged the weighting as much as they did because I think you showed signs of the weight conflicting you and demotivating you.

But hey, if you feel conflicted I'd probably also say it's best to stay where you are. But if you are willing to do differently, read our suggestions and do what feels right to you... are you really motivated by that weight? Keep weighing often... are you going up and down in mood and worrying because of the weight? Try to wait a little between weigh-ins. Maybe only a day or two for starters. Whatever feels comfortable.

Whatever you do and how you do it is to you and in the big whole the most important thing is just that you keep at it. BUT GO SLOWLY. that's my best advice. Find a routine is more important than finding a tempo... don't rush it; be happy about doing it not how fast you are doing it.
Thanks dude. I shouldn't have called it pathetic, my buddy does an hour of running on the treadmill every day which is probably why I did. But yeah, baby steps.

Thanks dude. I shouldn't have called it pathetic, my buddy does an hour of running on the treadmill every day which is probably why I did. But yeah, baby steps.
Your buddy is not your typical fit guy then. Running an hour everyday sounds like a lot; unless he runs a steady, semi-slow pace.

I definitely wouldn't compare yourself to him.

Chyp I got your post comment and thanks for the tip. I think since I'm pretty young I'll do a combo of walking and running. I like the feeling I get from running which is why I'm going to keep that up, but yeah, I won't do an hour every day. I'll probably do a little bit of running mixed into a larger amount of walking.

What would you guys say, that considered, is a good length of time to be on the treadmill?

Your buddy is not your typical fit guy then. Running an hour everyday sounds like a lot; unless he runs a steady, semi-slow pace.

I definitely wouldn't compare yourself to him.
He's not even really fit. He's just obsessive. He's not fat at all but he thinks he is - he's like ten pounds over his goal weight - and I think the problem might be he eats a lot. He says if you exercise you can eat as much as you want, and I think I need to start slapping him whenever he says that from now on.

Don't mean to give him a bad rap though, he does have solid advice to offer. But sometimes I think he was misinformed.