MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
It's slow compared to Luke is more what i meant plus it's wielding a weapon. It doesn't jump on him it jumps towards him as he lands quite a distance back after the initial hit, then he rolls out of the way of its swing. I'm not sure what is the problem with its aiming, it aims where he is every time but he moves out of the way. The biggest problem there is Mark Hamill isn't as agile as Luke is supposed to be so he doesn't pull it off as well as he should. The creature is mindless; it's basically a wild animal so i think it's believable that it would react in a crazy way after being frustrated by not being able to hit him. I agree that particular reaction is dumb looking but i think him reacting out of frustration itself is not unlikely.
I guess we're not gonna see eye to eye when it comes to this specific fight sequence. I still find him dodging all those hits pretty ridiculous.

Nitpick all you want, it's better talking about specific examples rather than going round in circles like we were earlier. The lightsaber sequences are bad, they are really slow and boring; that's just no CGI/motion capture/whatever though. Weren't those lightsabers really heavy (i mean that the actors used not in the story) or am i imagining that?
I can see how someone could literally fall asleep because of them, but I personally think they're hilarious.
And you're asking the wrong person mate, I have zero knowledge of Star Wars information besides what I vaguely remember about the films.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Look at this discussion....and people think it's dead here.

Suspect's Reviews

Procrastination aside, MM, your commitment to see this thread through to completion is quite commendable. I would've waved the white flag long ago, but I struggle to remember what I watched two days ago, let alone two years ago. Obviously your memory is as strong as your writing. As always, it's a pleasure to read your reviews. I actually think I've reached a point where I more eagerly anticipate the way in which you articulate an opinion more so than the opinion itself, due in large part to your playful writing style, your clever puns and wordplay, as well as the way in which you subtly reference various aspects of a film through carefully chosen vocabulary. And to do it all in a language that isn't native to your own is mind-boggling to me. I think you're awesome and probably the best reviewer on the forum nowadays.

But anyways, that's enough sucking your "lightsaber" in public view of everyone else, so onto the films themselves . . .

I've yet to watch Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons or Princess and the Frog. I'm most interested in seeing Treasure Planet, which sounds pretty cool, and Meet the Robinsons, which I believe is one of Miss Vicky's favorite films. Plus the masochist inside of me is now a bit curious to see if Home on the Range is really as terrible as you make it out to be. I hated Chicken Little and thought Brother Bear was average and forgettable. Bolt, on the hand, was a pleasant surprise. I found it rather cute, charming and funny. Stop being a curmudgeon.

It sounds like your re-watch of American Splendor bears closer sentiment to my own rather than your five-star first viewing. I definitely think it's a film worthy of praise thanks to the performances and the deft integration of animation and documentary footage into a normal character study. Stylistically, the film feels very fresh. However, even though Harvey Pekar is an interesting dude and sometimes quite funny, spending time with him gets to be a bit of a drag due to his general demeanor and humdrum existence. Quality film-making aside, I found myself checking my watch quite often as the film progressed.

I've fallen out of love with Reservoir Dogs. I still think it's a great movie and I have nothing negative to say about it, but for whatever reason I just never feel the urge to revisit it nowadays. Jackie Brown, on the other hand, is one of my absolute favorites and, in my opinion, QT's second best film after Pulp Fiction. Echoes of Elmore Leonard could always be heard in QT's voice, so the shared DNA made for the perfect adaptation. It's a shame that you don't like the movie more, but I'll just chalk that up to you being a racist.

I watched The Force Awakens with the glazed-over eyes of indifference, although at least that was better than the butt-numbing boredom of Rogue One. I'm not a Star Wars guy, though, having only seen each of the previous installments once in my life, so during these new films I'm usually confused about what the hell is even going on or who is who.

Anyway i'm off for the night. If you reply i'll answer tomorrow.

Also if you don't want this to take place in your thread MM, say haha.
PLEASE CONTINUE! My thread is alive and kicking like never before - all from a discussion coming out of a movie I reviewed! That's EXACTLY what I wanted, really. Couldn't be happier.

Look at this discussion....and people think it's dead here.
Indeed, suddenly things went wild. I love it!

The Great @Captain Spaulding returns! My number one fan, helping me put this thread out of its Misery!

Thank you as always, for your longer-than-standard posts and your thorough thoughts and comments on me and my reviews. I endlessly appreciate it. I'm glad you admire my dedication here, though admittedly, I think we can all agree that it's on the verge of embarrassment for taking so long for me to finish it. But nevertheless, I'm gonna finish it, and this time for good. No week-long, month-long or year-long breaks... This is it.

I can understand why my writing may be more appealing than what I write about, and to some extent that's sometimes also my main purpose. This diary thread, in contrast to my cinema review thread, is all about fun. Sometimes I get more deep and sometimes a movie has more of importance to talk about, but in the end my goal for this thread was always that it was to be a little more loose and lively. Some of my reviews end up "a little thin" when being viewed as actual reviews, but what do you expect when I review stuff from 2 years ago. Not every movie is stored, minute by minute, in my head. Though, yes definitely, I remember what I watch quite well...

Glad you agree mostly about Force Awakens and Rogue One. Looks like we feel more or less the same here. And I would probably recommend you watch Treasure Planet. You might like that actually. Meet the Robinsons is more of a bet than anything, it's a love/hate film, but you may like it.

Thanks again, Captain, for sailing into my waters and splashing a little of the sea into my sight to help me wake up and be even more dedicated to enter the unknown lands where threads like this come to rest. see you on the other side!

PLEASE CONTINUE! My thread is alive and kicking like never before - all from a discussion coming out of a movie I reviewed! That's EXACTLY what I wanted, really. Couldn't be happier.

Indeed, suddenly things went wild. I love it!
haha sorry think it came to an end with me and Okay exhausting the discussion of a 7 second clip. Good news though i'm pretty sure i convinced him that everything i said was right!

joking Okay

"12"
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
The year is no spelling mistake

total movie count ........... viewing day count
292 .......................... 351

December 18th

—— 2010 ——
Tangled
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.50

REWATCH
Disney is back
with another hairy adventure!

After trying to take over three-dimensional animation for an entire decade, but without the success to match that of Pixar, Disney finally untangled their stylistically confusing conception of how to make a modern animated film, releasing their 50th animated classic in grand style! The movie became a massive success for Disney and it cemented their computer-animated style that was to follow with future films, like ‘Frozen’, finally making it seem like Disney dictated how to draw the lines of the future, instead of the copy-paste work they had done a lot of in the past decade – imitating their own image as well as everyone else’s…

Though I’m very tentative to give ‘Tangled’ the title of the best modern movie made by the studio at the time, I do think they did several things right and reinvented themselves as a contemporary company, who understands their own place in the present of animation. Disney’s ‘Tangled’ brings a traditional story into the turbulent times of action-packed animation, but succeeds by sticking to what made the studio famous to begin with. The story should feel familiar to everyone, and the musical numbers are still intact – awarding the movie with a modern but modest twist – which gives the film life without fiddling with the classic roots. The musical numbers are more upbeat, but never unnecessarily overblown, like some of the wishy-washy pop songs that wrecked past films almost completely. The characters are also familiar, but find their relevancy in the respective personalities, which fits the style that the movie is going for.

Rapunzel is no longer the lost beauty, crying her soul out in the highest tower, who awaits her brave prince to come and rescue her fragile self from the darkest of corners, full of terror and death. Instead, Rapunzel is a lively young girl, who eagers to experience the outside world and with a stepmother who doesn’t forcefully keeps her captured in misery and with cruelty, but rather hides the rest of the world from her, which makes her more subtle and nuanced than the in-and-out evil outline of other Disney originals. And the so-called prince who comes to get her is in fact a thief who stumbles upon her by accident and from there on out the journey begins in which the entertainment arises from the many encounters that Rapunzel has with the real world, as well as the ongoing escape from everyone who wants Flynn dead.

I’m still not head over heels with the almost headless approach of heap-jumping modern animation; constantly having to be in a hurry to keep the tempo towering above everything else. That said though, ‘Tangled’ understands, more than many past Disney films, how to keep the magic and the mystery alive, while also having a tempo and style that is suitable and fitted for this generation. If anything, ‘Tangled’ might be the best modern fairy tale to date, because it mixes the greatest from two generations without falling victim to the pitfalls of the past – coming off either confused, chaotic or miscalculated. The movie isn’t really my cup of tea, but I respect the direction that Disney has taken… and since ‘Frozen’ fared even better, I’m very excited to see how the studio will use this rediscovered energy for future evident classics.

"11"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

293 .......................... 352

December 19th

—— 2011 ——
Winnie
thePooh

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.51

REWATCH
There isn't anything crappy
about this Pooh...

‘Winnie the Pooh’. What a name. What a character. For all the whining I did about the poor studio wrecking their own legacy by latching onto their own success like a leech and sucking everything dry, like honey from a jar, until dear old Disney had no more dignity left in them and had to copy anything and everything around them inside a huge mist of mediocracy – well, after all that, then I must admit, that a film, admittedly flawed, like ‘Winnie the Pooh’ anno 2011 was all that I ever really needed, I think… think, think, think.

Here comes a film, which is light as a balloon, flying high above anything of weight or much meaning; a film that isn’t grounded in realism or reaches for themes high up on the top shelf, where children can’t usually get to anyways. Disney dissects daunting themes for the daycare age better than anyone, but occasionally, I wouldn’t mind a film that simply speaks to the heart and soul of the audience – whether young or old – talking to the inner kid in us all, reminding us of friendship, loyalty and having fun. ‘Winnie the Pooh’ is an amusing throwback to old school animation and ageless themes that doesn’t concern itself with whether it is saying something important or not, as long as we laugh and smile throughout it all.

I grew up with Winnie the Pooh, it was one of my favorite characters and I loved the books, the movies, the everything. The Hundred Acre Wood was a place where time stood still and to this day I still think the characters and setting stand for something just as important as some of the heavier cinematic outings handled by Disney. ‘Winnie the Pooh’ is short and sweet and you can hardly even criticize it for not being anything else. It might be tough to take home a perfect score while soaring on a cloud of purple fluffy candy floss, but that is fine by me. The movie is short, really short, only about an hour long, but if it was any longer, I’m sure one would die of sheer sugar shock or candy-vascular overdose.

There is a lot that can be said about this film… how it rehashes old adventures from the Hundred Acre Wood, having already played with the idea of a “misspelled adventure” at least once before, in ‘The Search for Christopher Robin’, where the misinterpretation of the word “school” sets things in motion. Then there is Pooh’s constant hunger for honey and the many personalities of the characters being played on a constant loop throughout every film, in every scene. I don’t doubt any of that but I don’t dislike it either. Because yes, this is merely a greatest hits gesture to the past – made for those who still like to live in it once in a while...

Liked Tangled alot more than i thought i would, mostly because it was funnier than i was expecting. Hated some of the songs and i think there was some potential in the Rapunzel and her step mother relationship that was touched on but not fully explored, but overall it was very enjoyable.

Winnie The Pooh is one of six Diney Animated Classics i've not seen.

Liked Tangled alot more than i thought i would, mostly because it was funnier than i was expecting. Hated some of the songs and i think there was some potential in the Rapunzel and her step mother relationship that was touched on but not fully explored, but overall it was very enjoyable.

Winnie The Pooh is one of six Diney Animated Classics i've not seen.
Once again, Tangled was a movie I saw right on when the hype was at its highest, so it was hard not to be a little disappointed... But as you can see from my rating I was definitely more positive than negative. I did like it.

Winnie the Pooh is really a nostalgic film for me and for many others. I understand it's not exactly one that is appealing for being a groundbreaker or something totally new and revolutionary.

Thanks for checking in again, Camo!

Winnie the Pooh is really a nostalgic film for me and for many others. I understand it's not exactly one that is appealing for being a groundbreaker or something totally new and revolutionary.
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was a big part of my childhood so i think i'd enjoy it on at least a nostalgic level, especially since i've heard it was done well. As well as that i have to see The Three Caballero's, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time and Moana.

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was a big part of my childhood so i think i'd enjoy it on at least a nostalgic level, especially since i've heard it was done well. As well as that i have to see The Three Caballero's, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time and Moana.
So basically, the newest one and then ALL those stupid animated compilation films. I understand why you haven't gotten to those quite yet.

Make Mine Music was my "favorite" out of those type movies... Melody Time was my least favorite. Kinda hated that one very much.

But I see it like this... it depends on whether you like the shorts in it or not. It's really tough to like every short in there, so that's really why it was so hard to make an opinion on em...

I have reviews for all of those of course. You can look/search for them in the first post of this thread and click the links through there.

I think that if I hadn't said to myself I wanted to watch every Disney Classic, I probably hadn't made it through that crap.

"16"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

288 .......................... 347

December 14th

—— 1997 ——
Jackie
Brown

—— drama ——
REWATCH

"But with ‘Jackie Brown’ the does not roll, it drags, and Tarantino struggles with making a novel into a movie without making a novel out of his movie along the way. "

Really interesting review...I liked this movie more than you did, but I certainly respect your opinion. I especially love this:

"But with ‘Jackie Brown’ the does not roll, it drags, and Tarantino struggles with making a novel into a movie without making a novel out of his movie along the way. "
Glad you found it interesting! And I'm especially glad you liked that quote... I do too... although I now notice there is a spelling mistake "the does not roll" dammit

Anyways you for the point and still liked the quote. Mission accomplished then I guess.

"10"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

294 .......................... 352

December 19th

—— 2015 ——
SICARIO
—— thriller ——
CINEMA REVIEWS

REWATCH
I have reviewed this in full, in my Cinema Review thread, so I'm going to
link to that post. But I want to say a few words on this revisit...

This movie does have problems; it creates a great atmosphere and sports some good suspense, but it does indeed - as many has pointed out - die down a little bit after the border crossing. The curve of tension comes to a hault and moves up and down, in an uneven pattern until we get to a pretty great finale.

But why this movie is still 4 star worthy in my opinion, is because it is still so slickly made. It's a wonderfully crafted film; full of amazing visuals courtesy of Roger Deakins and a great thundering soundtrack, which both accompanies the fantastically filthy atmosphere perfectly. The acting all around is great as well and overall this movie is a masterpiece all around -
except the story - which could use some work. Nevertheless, a great ride...

SCARIO FULL REVIEW

-

"9"
HIS FILM DIARY 2015

295 .......................... 353

December 20th

—— 2014 ——
ÆKTE VARE
(Flow)

—— drama ——

A film about the streets of Denmark
and particularly the hip-hop underground...

This movie got a lot of people talking - and not just in the streets - though definitely only here in Denmark. The movie stars the Danish rapper, Gilli, who basically promotes himself and his new album in this admittedly well made crime drama biopic about an up and coming artist, who is good with words and wants to make it big on the music scene...

Just like with Summer of '92, I don't recommend this movie to anybody here. It is a low-budget "promo cash grab", disguised as a slickly made crime drama, which contains a surprising amount of genuine filmmaking and story, that aren't completely centered on selling more music outside of the film. But still, the product feels a little hollow and a little unfinished, though I definitely admire the attempt and concept.

- I'd much rather recommend director, Fenar Ahmad's, newest feature, Underverden (Darkland). A by-the-books drama action-thriller, which impressed me anyways because it's Danish and the ambitious nature of it has hardly been seen in Danish film since ever. We don't do action, at least not until Fenar stepped in and changed that. It's not anything new, but it's well done and shows the state of the Danish underground... raw and gritty. (3.5/5)

movies can be okay...
Not a big fan of Sicario here, I would say it's my least favourite Villeneuve film. It's still good though.

I agree with a lot of that on Sicario MM, but I didn't like it overall as much as you. It's very well made and starts out great, but then after a while I was waiting for it to end.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Not a big fan of Sicario here, I would say it's my least favourite Villeneuve film. It's still good though.
In short, what's your main problem(s) with Sicario? And what's your favourite Denis film, now since you kinda brought it on yourself here.

I agree with a lot of that on Sicario MM, but I didn't like it overall as much as you. It's very well made and starts out great, but then after a while I was waiting for it to end.
A shame, but I can see it. Thanks for checking in, cricket!!!