Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Raw is another on my watchlist thanks to Swan.
He has seen it then? I couldn't find it in his Adventures thread, so I assumed he might not have seen it yet. I may not have searched well enough.

He has seen it then? I couldn't find it in his Adventures thread, so I assumed he might not have seen it yet. I may not have searched well enough.
Yea he had to because I've got his name next to it on my watchlist, although I can't remember if he recommended it to me specifically.

Loved Cache as you know since you repped my review.

Also love Out of the Blue, saw that Dave Kehr had that as one of the best of the 80's so i gave it a shot and i like it even more than Easy Rider. Those last 15 minutes are so gross and devastating.

@cricket i think you'll love Out of the Blue

Yep I've seen Raw! Great flick that even grew on my over time.

#90 - Bicycle Thieves (1948) ~ August 3

This was one of the many important films that I hadn't seen yet. It's an extremely touching piece of cinema that proves that a small humanist story can comment on the biggest of ideas in an extremely potent way.

I'm sure you'll like it, @Camo! I had only seen Marriage, Italian Style by De Sica, so far. He has made plenty of other stuff that also seems worthwile.

-------------------

I may make a quick 'Top 5 favorite films I've seen for the first time this year (so far)' when I've reached #100.

I may make a quick 'Top 5 favorite films I've seen for the first time this year (so far)' when I've reached #100.
That's a good idea, i have a private list on Letterboxd with my favourites this year for the year end list thing here. Got 23 films probably need to update it.

movies can be okay...
I was just commenting yesterday about Emmanuelle Riva's phenomenal performance. I love Amour, it's definitely one of Haneke's best, although any Haneke film is one of Haneke's best.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
#85 - La Pianiste/The Piano Teacher (2001) ~ July 30

This was my first Haneke film experience and I absolutely adored it. It's a provocative multi-dimensional psychosexual piece of genius. Huppert's performance must be one of the greatest of all time. What an actress!
I 100% Agree. Huppert is always great but her performance in La Pianiste is out of this world. She was so good to the point that she doesn't even need to act again, she can even later on be responsible for the worst performance of the century and I wouldn't care and would still consider her the best female actress of all time.

#92 - Women in Love (1969) ~ August 8

This is an extraordinary film that talks and thinks about human relationships in a refreshingly uncensored manner. The film perfectly holds the balance between wild excessive decadence and truthful humane essence, something that no cinematic era has done more convincingly than the late sixties/seventies, which this film is clearly a product of (even though it is also quite faithful to its 1920 source novel).
This was my second Ken Russell film (I'd already seen Tommy). I can't wait to see the rest of his work.

Completely agree with your Amour comment; devastating and incredible performances. However while i recognize its quality i don't actually like it as it's not something i enjoyed watching.

Don't think i've heard of Women In Love and i don't think i've seen any of Russell's films yet. Been thinking about watching The Devils soon since i've been watching Horror.

Completely agree with your Amour comment; devastating and incredible performances. However while i recognize its quality i don't actually like it as it's not something i enjoyed watching.
I also wouldn't consider it as a new favorite film of mine or anything like that. It especially worked for me as an intellectual experience.

Don't think i've heard of Women In Love and i don't think i've seen any of Russell's films yet. Been thinking about watching The Devils soon since i've been watching Horror.
I'm planning on watching The Devils as well, sometime this week. It also stars Oliver Reed, who I tought was a highly charismatic presence in Women in Love.

#93 - The Wrestler (2008) ~ August 9

Great character study by Aronofsky built on a masterful performance by Mickey Rourke. Some of the more cliché plot points were easily forgiven during this great first watch, but I'm not so sure if they will stand the test of time and have the same impact during a rewatch. All in all, a great experience, Aronofsky-style!

Not a big fan, Rourke is great though. Think the most crushing moment in the film for me was when the kid didn't want to play his old wrestling games with him haha. That randomly pops into my head from time to time for some reason.

Not a big fan, Rourke is great though. Think the most crushing moment in the film for me was when the kid didn't want to play his old wrestling games with him haha. That randomly pops into my head from time to time for some reason.
I agree! That moment alone has more impact than the daughter plotline and the stripper plotline put together! I really liked the wrestling scenes and some of the more quiet scenes with just Rourke in them as well.

I always recommend Russell to anyone serious about cinema and The Devils is his best work, IMO. Of those I've seen, anyway. I don't recommend him because I love him or even like all his films, but they're always interesting and they're always cinematic.