Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Penelope (1966)

I don't like. It's a total cliche.
Now you got me interested in THIS movie.

P.S. - 5 seconds after I posted this, I looked up the movie, and Jonathan Winters is listed in the cast, and I was already watching an interview with Jonathan, kept the video in the background so I could listen while I checked this.

Death is a Caress (1949)

-

From the noirs list, and the first Norwegian movie to be directed by a woman. The movie opens with a man being brought into jail, and then he tells his story in flashback. He was a mechanic with a beautiful fiancee, and then he meets an older, wealthy, and married woman while on the job. They end up together, but of course things don't end up all piss and roses. I thought this was quite different for a noir. It's more a relationship movie to me, and with the exception of the opening, there's no hint of any crime until the last five minutes. I enjoyed it.

Major Dundee -

What a weird Crocodile Dundee prequel.
hhaa, yeah, I guess you can call it that. I actually haven't seen it fully, but that's because I only wanted to watch it, and admitingly so, because of Senta Berger. But where the hell is she? I still haven't found her. It drove me insane. I went through the entire film practically, she's in some swiming in a lake scene, which lasts like 3 seconds I guess.

Key Largo (1948) - John Huston

Ascent To Heaven aka Mexican Bus Ride (1952) - Luis Bunuel

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Arch of Triumph (1948)
I had originally checked this out because of Charles Laughton but in reality it is REALLY a Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergmen movie. Two star-crossed lovers in Paris before the Germans invade. It is a sad, romantic story that kept me caught up from the get go.

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) Henry V
++ Rather funny to see cricket watching the older version around the same time I was rewatching this version which I've loved since first seeing it from a balcony seating at the Detroit Institute of Art when it first came out.
D@mn near climbed out of the balcony to join them during that speech before the Battle of Ashincourt. Frickin brilliant!

Oliver Twist (1948)

This was a pretty nice surprise, and I figure I'm probably one of the only people in the world who had no idea what it was about. I did figure it was a children's film, and while I think it may have been a favorite had I seen it when I was younger, it was so much darker than I ever could have imagined. In fact, it felt like one of the most brutal films I've seen from the 40's. It is a very pleasing film visually, and I'd say probably as well done overall as anyone could expect. That part of it shouldn't be a surprise coming from ace director David Lean.

Downfall (2004)

The film portrays the emotional trauma that Hitler had gone through his last days. The actor who played Hitler was simply outstanding.
One of the best historical movies IMO.

8/10

I haven't watched new films for years,as I find them boring, tedious ,and all computer graphics. I much prefer the older films such as some of the British bw ones .and director Vernon Sewell films.

Hot Fuzz (2007)

"you wanna be a big cop in a small town? **** off up the model village..."

Had to hand it that full five star rating this time... Pretty much no one in the entire industry pays as much attention to detail, as Edgar Wright. This is the type of director, who will spend time and money on putting something into his film, that no one may ever notice, but he knows it's there and he sees it important and worth it no matter what. That is dedication to the craft, people.

I have watched this movie many times, yet I still find new things that I never noticed before or that I may have forgotten about because it is so subtle. And combined with the dry but very intelligent British humor, it's hard not to get carried away.

And often the smallest of things can make a cinema geek and Edgar Wright fan smile with happiness. There is a scene in here, where Simon Pegg's character is questioning a man who was just speeding in his car and Pegg wants to write everything down he says. The man in the car notice this and says something along the lines of "Hey" "what are you doing?" "Please stop writing" and Pegg repeats "please... stop... writing" as he pens down what is said. Then the man in the car kind of realises where this is going and groans and says, "Look" like he's about to say something. And then at that moment Pegg looks at the man and stops writing. I mean the way the man "dictated" what Pegg did here and how Wright basically controls his characters movements and dialogue with his writing and directing is so brilliant...

And you gotta remember, this is a moment where it all happens very fast, like always with Edgar Wright, and that's why it is so funny and stimulating to your mind to sit there and really pay close attention throughout the entire movie. The amount of detail is endless. Details like the police station discussing why they shouldn't be investigating the case, since they would have to question everybody, and basically "start with Aaron Aaronson"... A small thing that doesn't really matter much, yet Edgar Wright makes stuff like this matter and in the end there is a boy indeed named Aaron Aaronson. Or the little store that has a sign that says "no more than one school child at a time" and they keep filming that together with the entrance throughout, and you wonder why the hell Wright does that. It finally pays off in the end, when the climax calls for a huge bunch of school kids to run through this entrance. There is only one person that finds that more amusing than me... and that's Edgar Wright himself. That's the reason all this is here. If not for anyone, he puts stuff like this in here for his own pleasure. To him, it's SO WORTH IT.

I could go on and on, and the thing is these are not even the most subtle things in the movie. There is SO much to catch, to look for, to have fun noticing. And that, together with the great craft and comedy, the directing, overall writing and of course the AMAZING editing, this is one hell of a crazy movie!

All hail Edgar Wright!

Funny Games

6.5/10

It was decent enough but not nearly as disturbing as i expected. I was more amused at how that one guy kept breaking the 4th wall.

I get the point it was trying to make but id say it was more provocative than disturbing or harrowing.

Oliver Twist (1948)

This was a pretty nice surprise, and I figure I'm probably one of the only people in the world who had no idea what it was about. I did figure it was a children's film, and while I think it may have been a favorite had I seen it when I was younger, it was so much darker than I ever could have imagined. In fact, it felt like one of the most brutal films I've seen from the 40's. It is a very pleasing film visually, and I'd say probably as well done overall as anyone could expect. That part of it shouldn't be a surprise coming from ace director David Lean.
Regret not getting to that and Great Expectations before sending my list, love Lean.

WARNING: "I'm dumb" spoilers below
I also forgot to include Brief Encounter which would have made it fairly high up

Trainspotting 2 (2017)

+

I wouldn't quite call the first movie brilliant, but it is sort of special. I thought it very odd when I found out a sequel was being done. I thought they pulled it off pretty well as it was interesting to see what had become of the characters. It ended up being an entertaining and nostalgic ride for the most part. My only complaint is the focus on two different plotlines; the planned opening of a business, and Begbie's pursuit of Renton. All I really cared about were the relationships and more importantly the wild antics.