Top 100 Movie Stars Redux

Tools    

Hmmmm, yeah .... pretty sure they are dead though and therefore any list from them should be ineligible
Well...er...um...I was on a STV News segment for like three minutes when i was 6!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If it makes anyone feel any better, I was actually wondering how you ended up with 78 actors, when people are submitting 10-name lists. I may have twitched a bit.

How do rules work? In different list/game threads I see people mention points, multiple lists, or point requirements. I figured each name gets counted from each list. So if 10 people submit 10 names each, and John Doe pops up in 8 of those lists, then John Doe gets 8 points? That then determines the rank on the overall master list, relative to how many times each name shows in a list?

What about individual ranking? Say in one list John Doe is #1, but another list he ranks at #9. *Do those differences affect anything?

Just trying to learn the process! Ok. Back to work.

EDIT
*do. not *does. cuz i'm stoopids.

Well...er...um...I was on a STV News segment for like three minutes when i was 6!
Now why didn't you say that in the first place .... carry on!!

If it makes anyone feel any better, I was actually wondering how you ended up with 78 actors, when people are submitting 10-name lists. I may have twitched a bit.

How do rules work? In different list/game threads I see people mention points, multiple lists, or point requirements. I figured each name gets counted from each list. So if 10 people submit 10 names each, and John Doe pops up in 8 of those lists, then John Doe gets 8 points? That then determines the rank on the overall master list, relative to how many times each name shows in a list?

What about individual ranking? Say in one list John Doe is #1, but another list he ranks at #9. Does those difference affect anything?

Just trying to learn the process! Ok. Back to work.
Your #1 gets ten points, #2 gets nine, etc down to your #1 getting one point. It would depend on John Doe's list placements, if we was five peoples #1 he would get 50 points because one #1 is worth ten points.

If he was #1 on one list and #9 on another he would get 12 points because #1 is worth ten and #9 is worth 2.

If i haven't explained that well say so haha.

Can I redo my list? .... totally forgot about John Doe

Your #1 gets ten points, #2 gets nine, etc down to your #1 getting one point. It would depend on John Doe's list placements, if we was five peoples #1 he would get 50 points because one #1 is worth ten points.

If he was #1 on one list and #9 on another he would get 12 points because #1 is worth ten and #9 is worth 2.

If i haven't explained that well say so haha.

That makes total sense. Thank you!
So uh... once you've counted, and added everything up, whoever ends up with the most points becomes the master list #1? on on down, based on descending point totals?

What happens if you end up with 2 names with the same point total?

That SHOULD be my last question, but I can't promise.

That makes total sense. Thank you!
So uh... once you've counted, and added everything up, whoever ends up with the most points becomes the master list #1? on on down, based on descending point totals?

What happens if you end up with 2 names with the same point total?

That SHOULD be my last question, but I can't promise.
The tiebreaker is how many lists they are on. So if John Doe was on 7 and Jane Doe was on 6 then John Doe would be higher.

Now if they were on the same amount of lists then the next tiebreaker would be which had the highest placement, so if John Doe's highest placement was #1 and Jane Doe's was #2 John Doe would be higher. If that was the same we'd go to second highest placement, etc. Dunno what happens next, those are philosophical questions no man or woman should have to contemplate

Ask away.

Which other list/game threads are you talking about by the way because they aren't all the same?
None specific. I've been here like 6 months goofing around thumbing through the site, so I'm only picking up bits here and there as I fall into a thread. My first game was a song list where one track was paired against another. That seemed pretty straight forward to me. Around that time I saw a few top 100 threads and tried to follow along with what was going on, but the point references never clicked with me. That and with everyone PMing lists on the back end I couldn't ever actually SEE anything to try to figure it out. I also probably had no idea what "PM" was here, so that may have made it worse lol. I couldn't figure out the rules to understand if those points had anything to do with me or how I set up my own lists, so I never bothered.

Really appreciate the lesson here. That makes perfect sense.

Also forgot to say, the qualify thing only me and Iro (for his Albums Countdown) have done i believe. What that means is an actor or actress needs at least 10 points and need to be on at least 2 lists to qualify. 10 points because that's the maximum amount from one list and 2 lists so it was at least a kind of group thing rather than just one persons doing.

None specific. I've been here like 6 months goofing around thumbing through the site, so I'm only picking up bits here and there as I fall into a thread. My first game was a song list where one track was paired against another. That seemed pretty straight forward to me. Around that time I saw a few top 100 threads and tried to follow along with what was going on, but the point references never clicked with me. That and with everyone PMing lists on the back end I couldn't ever actually SEE anything to try to figure it out. I also probably had no idea what "PM" was here, so that may have made it worse lol. I couldn't figure out the rules to understand if those points had anything to do with me or how I set up my own lists, so I never bothered.

Really appreciate the lesson here. That makes perfect sense.
Cool if you're interested in these Countdowns there's a 1940's one coming up. Don't know how well versed you are in 40's films but if you've got at least 10 favourites you could send a list to SilentVamp. The deadline is September 3rd. Here's the thread if you're interested in taking part - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49083

We got Rambonds tenth pick guys! It didn't change anything haha.

I'm guessing Inmate is the only other list we may get as i can't think of anyone else that would send one.

What is wrong with you?
Lots of things, but in this case I believe my remarks are at least reasonable.

It's a ten person list could I have made a top ten of any decade or gender...sure. But I choose to balance and weight each generation of filmmaking to make a better list.
It's a top 10 favorite actors list regardless of sex or decade. If you don't send your top 10, it can't possibly be better.

If I wanted to I could have done a top 100 or 250 or 500 but if you are only doing 10 I decided to set parameters.

10. F(70's)
09. F(10's)
08. M(60's)
07. F(90's)
06. M(40's)
05. M(00's)
04. F(30's)
03. M(20's)
02. F(50's)
01. M(80's)
The host sets the parameters. If everyone else just decided to set their own parameters, this would be a ***** show.

And the only reason I even sent in a list is because I got a PM asking me to do such
It's good that you participated.

Still stick by my comments defending him earlier...but yeah.

That "better" rubbed me the wrong way, i hope he knows that made his list exactly zero percent better. Fully support you if you struggled to cut it down to 10 and found this a more manageable way of doing it, but your list wasn't any better or different than the average so it was mostly pointless. Especially if you were expecting a unique list, i think you were one of the few who didn't have a unique selection and you probably would have if you sent your actual top ten.

Anyway, i still have to add a list and we're guaranteed at least a top 80 Countdown

Are you still planning to go ahead with the reveal today, or does the number of qualifying nominations that are inching ever closer to 100 make you want to keep it open for a bit?

I imagine most people who are interested have probably already sent a list though.

If you're still taking lists I've a couple 'celebrity' ones for you....one's only partial though....

Russell Brand:
1. Russell Brand
2. Russell Brand
3. Russell Brand
4. Russell Brand
5. Russell Brand
6. Russell Brand
7. Russ ....oooooh she's pretty...
Quentin Tarantino:
1. Tim Roth
1. Harvey Keitel
1. Uma Thurman