Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I got to get to some more 40s before the deadline for the list hits. I've been waiting on My Darling Clementine for way too long.

Amazing & very moving documentary of impoverished rural China filmed in 2010-2011.

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
Valerian & The The City of a Thousand Planets

(Luc Besson)

Luc Besson delivers what might be his spiritual follow up to The Fifth Element. A gorgeous visually realized space epic that wants to wow and dazzle you at every corner. For the most part, Besson succeeds at this, but fails at writing engaging characters for us to care for. Relying too much on one sacrifices the other and Valerian suffers from this.

Let's get the most obvious thing out of the way first, this film looks great. Careful attention to detail was given to almost every scene. Something as simple as cotton candy coloured clouds bring the world to life. A striking highlight for this film, but can almost seem a bit distracting. Besson is so concerned with cramming in as many of his unique creations as possible that the character dynamics take a big hit. Valerian and Laureline are partners, but he will constantly profess his love to her, which she continuously turns down. This dynamic could have been fun in the hands of better actors.

Dane DeHaan, is doing his best Keanu Reeves impression, which is so odd. He has next to no charisma here and the film deserved someone with a bit more dedication. His co-star Cara Delevingne has a little bit more spark in her performance. Her body of work hasn't been inspiring, so her role here brings some much needed levity. Ethan Hawke turns up in a small role as a pimp, while not adding anything to the story, it's fun to watch him in such a role.

Clocking in at almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, the film does feel a tad long. The story takes a few turns away from the main plot, which makes the film feel disjointed a bit. Maybe it's even an excuse for Besson to show more wild and creative things. I'm not really complaining, as I did have fun with the world I was thrown into. The film comes off as one of those "enjoy the ride" type flicks. It's not as cold and mechanic as a lets say a Transformers film, it comes off as a little more personal, which is even more evident by the dedication to his father at the end. Valerian is pretty much exactly what one would expect, which could be a good thing, or a bad thing.
I felt it was fine, not as epic as I would've liked. The world was pretty imaginative. I thought like you that DeHann was not a quality lead, as I felt the girl (who really hasn't done much, being a model/musician as well) overshadowed him. Their characters were pretty thin too, and the story was rather predictable. Still looked good, but a pretty big letdown story-wise. I think the mini-worlds within Alpha and technology/elements could inspire sequels. Sadly I think it got hit hard at the box office. Probably a 7/10 just for the world and the nice blend of action and slow moments. The romance wasn't too bad and I dug their chemistry. Just didn't get to know Valerian very much.

Re-watched this movie recently for the first time in decades and was totally immersed in seconds. Classic movie directed by John Boorman that either involves man vs. nature, man vs. man, or man vs. himself, however you want to see it. I think it includes all three themes and is the better for it.

All about four city men who travel to a Georgia river that is soon to be dammed and turned into a lake, according to the leader of the group, Lewis (Burt Reynolds). Lewis and his closest friend, Ed (Jon Voight) are more experienced. The two green men along for the trip are Bobby (Ned Beatty) and Drew (Ronny Cox). The various personalities either mesh or clash, particularly Lewis against Bobby. Ed and Bobby pull to shore in their canoe and are assaulted by two backwoodsmen. Veteran actor Bill McKinney is the recognizable actor here and he plays the vicious hillbilly terrifyingly, raping Bobby. The scene is horrifying because of the violence, yet the lead up to it has more tension than the actual act, which is edited in such a way that you think you're seeing more than you do.

When the other hillbilly is about to assault Ed, they are saved by Lewis, who uses his compound bow and arrows to deadly effect on McKinney's character. The other gets away and the four men conspire to cover up the rapist's death. It goes downhill for the men from then on as they realize they are being stalked from the shore by the other man. They must pull all they have from themselves to survive not only the bad man but the elements. Each man responds differently and some truly find the strength to do the unspeakable.

This is one tense, but very thrilling (not in a fun way) movie. Perfectly photographed and edited, excellently acted and tightly directed, this is one of Boorman's best movies, and in my opinion, one of the best movies ever made. I was lucky enough to see this movie at the cinema when it was first released and it's still just as effective today. And it's justifiably famous for it's song, "Dueling Banjos," which is played out near the beginning of the movie. As I inferred at the beginning, I saw this just the other night on cable and could watch it again today.

Valerian & The The City of a Thousand Planets

(Luc Besson)

Luc Besson delivers what might be his spiritual follow up to The Fifth Element. A gorgeous visually realized space epic that wants to wow and dazzle you at every corner. For the most part, Besson succeeds at this, but fails at writing engaging characters for us to care for. Relying too much on one sacrifices the other and Valerian suffers from this.

Let's get the most obvious thing out of the way first, this film looks great. Careful attention to detail was given to almost every scene. Something as simple as cotton candy coloured clouds bring the world to life. A striking highlight for this film, but can almost seem a bit distracting. Besson is so concerned with cramming in as many of his unique creations as possible that the character dynamics take a big hit. Valerian and Laureline are partners, but he will constantly profess his love to her, which she continuously turns down. This dynamic could have been fun in the hands of better actors.

Dane DeHaan, is doing his best Keanu Reeves impression, which is so odd. He has next to no charisma here and the film deserved someone with a bit more dedication. His co-star Cara Delevingne has a little bit more spark in her performance. Her body of work hasn't been inspiring, so her role here brings some much needed levity. Ethan Hawke turns up in a small role as a pimp, while not adding anything to the story, it's fun to watch him in such a role.

Clocking in at almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, the film does feel a tad long. The story takes a few turns away from the main plot, which makes the film feel disjointed a bit. Maybe it's even an excuse for Besson to show more wild and creative things. I'm not really complaining, as I did have fun with the world I was thrown into. The film comes off as one of those "enjoy the ride" type flicks. It's not as cold and mechanic as a lets say a Transformers film, it comes off as a little more personal, which is even more evident by the dedication to his father at the end. Valerian is pretty much exactly what one would expect, which could be a good thing, or a bad thing.
Thanks for this, Suspect. I've been meaning to see it ever since it came out. On tuesday, upon returning from the town, I saw the poster and thought about asking about it here. It's probably among my next watches one of these days.

I felt it was fine, not as epic as I would've liked. The world was pretty imaginative. I thought like you that DeHann was not a quality lead, as I felt the girl (who really hasn't done much, being a model/musician as well) overshadowed him. Their characters were pretty thin too, and the story was rather predictable. Still looked good, but a pretty big letdown story-wise. I think the mini-worlds within Alpha and technology/elements could inspire sequels. Sadly I think it got hit hard at the box office. Probably a 7/10 just for the world and the nice blend of action and slow moments. The romance wasn't too bad and I dug their chemistry. Just didn't get to know Valerian very much.
Thanks, Bear. It's becoming a concensus, so I'll definately watch it tommorow probably. Hopefully I'll dig something out of it that you two haven't been able to. Well, proly not, it's worth watching just upon your reviews.

“I was cured, all right!”

Very nice film!
The director conducted the story very well, without getting repetitive and without stupids jump scares.

For the first time!
I really liked this film but the last 30 minutos ruined the experience for me.

I actually saw it before, but I was so off, i was only physicaly watching. Spiritually...who knows what I was doing.

This is a master piece. Not that I am the first one to say it. James is one of my fave actors, even people anyway. And Natalie doesn't hurt, if you know what I mean. Shame they both ended tragically.

So, he does this unwined, off hand, abstract,as they put it, newcomer to the town and school. Of course he immidiately gets into conflict,but James always does it all differently. He's abstract. I didn't get much of the her/him chemistry, I feel she's really more or less a beauty decor. More to the point, I did get the feeling it's actually a women-hating film. All the negative characters, true negatives are mommies who spoiled and ruined their sons. I'm afraid it actually implies they killed hte famous car competing guy, as well the kid in the end, which is the most poignant scene, especially since it's so involved, perplexed and intervowen. Probably it has a lot to do with the American society in the 50s. This everlasting matriahat/patriahat, yaknow battle of the sexes thing. I'm not competent to ellaborate here, what was really the situation back then? I guess it was a heavy patriachat, hence the movie. So, i dig if you ladies do not dig it. I however do, James, Natalie or the movie itself,any of those is sufficient to give it at least 4/5. I'll simply discard the women-hating thing (about which I'm maybe wrong, it's just a theory) as much as I can, and admit it also shows daddies as weaklings,spineless whimps or the sort. It's actually a critique of the entire parenthood.

This is a beautiful, deeply and profoundly human, and unbelievably thought-provoquing film. One of a kind and an institution for itself.

Cry of the City (1948)

+

From the noirs list, Richard Conte plays a cop killer who gets shot and caught, escapes, and then is on the run. Victor Mature plays the lead pursuer. Conte is so perfect at playing the villain, and I wonder if that's what he mostly played during his career because he just looks the part. I just think there's a reason why some guys specialize at being supporting actors. Conte's character dominates the movie, and after a great first half it starts to wear just a little thin. I certainly enjoyed the movie, but for a while I was really loving it.

This is a cold war themes thriller set at the fall of the Berlin Wall, has a bitchen 80's soundtrack, a great cast, loads of R rated violence and nudity, and was directed by David Leitch who did the John Wick movies (he produced 2). I loved this movie right? HELL NO!

This movie was very well made but the question I kept asking myself was "Why the f*ck should I give a s**t?" I did not get invested in the flick at all. I did not care about the characters, no f**ks were given about the setting and plot, and I didn't even care about the action sequences! I don't know if this was a crappy adaptation of the original graphic novel or if the graphic novel was trash, but f**k this movie. You know it is bad when the highlight of the movie was Charlize Theron's (or her body double's) **** and the clips of Stalker I saw at the Berlin movie theater. All this movie made me want to do was see if they are bringing Tarkovsky to the big screen in my local movie theaters.

And to be honest this made me sad. I loved the John Wick movies and Theron was a badass in Mad Max: Fury Road. So to see this flop so hard for me was a bit of a disappointment. Then again I admit even with all the pluses going for it the trailers did nothing for me.

Y'all should totally watch this... it's so much fun... hilarious... best movie ever.

"20"
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
The year is no spelling mistake

total movie count ........... viewing day count
284 .......................... 341

December 8th

—— 2004 ——
HOME on the RANGE
—— garbage ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.45

At first I was going to call it an utter embarrassment
but honestly it feels more like a total insult

I wish I could say, that ‘Home on the Range’ merely range from mediocre to horrible… only it doesn’t. ‘Home on the Range’ doesn’t range from anything really… instead it just seems perfectly at home in a single, simple location of pale and pathetic proportions. At its best, ‘Home on the Range’ is not even represented. At its worst, ‘Home on the Range’ is the single representative in sh*t town – population: 1 sh*tty-ass movie.

I don’t know what Disney was thinking with this, I honestly don’t. They have fallen so far down the ladder of success that they pitifully try to rip-off the animation style of the likes of Looney Tunes, and end up with a worse result than Michael Jackson after all his plastic surgery… I mean, Michael he pales in comparison to how bad of a job Disney did here… And well, that anything “pales” in comparison to Michael’s visual appearance might not be the greatest argument ever, I just realize that. But uh, anyways, the point is that this movie is the lowest Disney has ever went to date. Holy cow…

The animation is half-assed and lazy, and the story is so straightforward, that the two of them are battling each other for the “most simple outline ever” award… This is an out-and-out insult of a movie, that should have just stayed out… out of production, out of even being thought up, if there was even any thought involved at all to begin with. This stupid “cow movie” doesn’t even deserve a review, but it needs a proper ROAST, that’s for sure – and I’ll take that well-done, please, I want to make sure it’s completely dead. But then again, the characters are so thin and empty in this movie, I don’t even know if you could cut a decent steak out of it… I would sure love to slice into it though with a blunt butter knife – but that’s probably the producers that needs cutting more than anything. They better have their paycheck cut off immediately, at the least, before I step in and do the cutting for them… and I’m not talking about paychecks.

But I mean, why did Disney even try to take on boring farm animals as their next great hero? I have seen people take on farm animals in more interesting ways than this… only that isn’t exactly legal. Making a movie like ‘Home on the Range’ is somehow perfectly legal though. WOW. I mean, HOW THE COW is that so? I would rather sit through another “middle eastern home video”, filmed in Farmville, then I would ever endure this movie again. Watching ‘Home on the Range’ though, it’s no joke anymore bro... Watching ‘Home on the Range’, YOU are the violated animal. My senses feel violated, my brain feels artistically assaulted and because I decided to watch every Disney Classic ever, I had to endure this one and felt forced to do so more than anything.

I’m thankful and glad for one thing though… and that is the fact that Disney wasn’t dryhumping dollars out of me, because I never paid a single penny for this sh*t– unlike the thousands of kids and their families out there, who got screwed over, and are now scarred for life and must cope with this terrible experience. Bring in the family doctor... Bring in the local psychologist... No one walks away from ‘Home on the Range’ unmarked… NO ONE.

The Turning Point (1945)

A Cannes' winner that must be somewhat obscure considering I couldn't find a single screenshot and there's not even a synopsis on IMDb. It's a Russian film about the Russians trying to fend off the Germans during World War II. It's kind of interesting from a historical perspective and to see some of the strategy. It also has an authentic look and some strong moments. It was alright.

I get to cross another off my lists, and more importantly, I saw something before Mark did.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Titanic

8/10

My first time seeing it. A visual masterpiece and the last hour was simply breathtaking and fantastic. It definitely starts off slow but overall just a great project that you can tell took a lot of effort from Cameron.