Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Re-watch since it won the Oscar for Best Picture...I enjoyed it more this time than I did the first time. I'm still not sure it deserved the Best Picture Oscar, but I still think the last 20 minutes of the film are the best last 20 minutes of a film EVER! My original rating will stand:

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
+

Nobody ever talks about this movie...I think it's one of the Cohens' most underrated movies and George Clooney delivers one of his best performances.

All the King's Men (1949)

I can understand why this won best picture as it's a well executed and finely acted film. It's about a decent man who rises in politics, becomes corrupt, and his eventual fall. There's a good bit of melodrama thrown in. I can understand why it doesn't have a huge following as I didn't find it particularly memorable. It's a very good movie.

This really is a genial film like everyone says it is. Henry Fonda is the only one of the twelve jurors who believes, or is in fact reasonable, strong and good enough to believe a kid who's accused of killing his father is innocent. In the beginning, at least. But they all fall down one by one,each for his own reason. The quintessence of the movie is that it's not a crime movie in fact in it's heart. It's a psychological drama, a study of twelve different human conditions. We have him, who is good, a racist, a sadist, a psychopath (and this one made me laugh, I have to admit. It was hot, so in the beginning he voted guilty, just because it was in the majority, and he wanted to get out of there,but as it turned around, and he stilljust wanted to get out of there, he voted innocent), a dummie (Robert Webber in one of his early roles), another idiot who must do everything by the book etc. In the end Fonda wins, and it's clear the kid is innocent.

My favorite scene is when Fonda gets to the sadist, who starts yelling he'll kill him, just after they were talking about how when someone does that, it doesn't necessarily mean they mean it, as the kid was supposedly yelling it.

You don't really mean you'll kill me, do you?

I can NOT fbelieve I forgot to dedicate this to Chris a.k.a. Yoda!

So, i'm erasing that unforgivable mistake here.

I'm dedicating this to Chris.

Well, where to begin Gid? With that I liked it best out of all the classics I've seen this year? I know I'll spoil my coumtdown, but what a heck. I like it better than Citizen Kane (sorry Rules, I'm still not revealing anything about it though), The Godfather, Casablanca, Rging Bull, Psycho, Vertigo, 12 Angry Men, The Third Man you get the picture.

I admit that I, like most, hated musicals in general until I've seen this. I also admit I came in with extremely low expectations. And I even hated it for the first almost 3 hrs. I don't think it was only because of the expectations, I really didn't like it, except for the almost comic book-like sequence at the beginning. But then...James suddenly gets 100% serious after loosing the job, but you don't even have the time for that. To feel sorry for him. Because, while he's waking up from a sleep on drugs, Judy's talking just outside to the menager, saying how she should stop her career (the only thing he ever had) because she was neglecting him and needs to devote much more time to him. He hears it and walks right into the Pacific ocean. Of course she must've realized that he may not be sleeping any longer, at least it was risky. But even so, she resurrected him in the very final scene.

No doubt the most heart-breaking classic I've ever seen, I cried the entire day like a little baby. And that's the genius of it - you get drawn in this musical, with her singing silly songs for 3 hrs, and then all of a sudden all THIS!

Um Historia de Amor e Furia (2013)

Mediocre and cliche but get's an A for effort. Brazil needs to make a hundred of adult animations before they hit the gold and make a good one, this is the second adult Brazilian full length animation film that I watched. Better than Moana though.

Okja

I am a vegan so this one was always going to do something to me emotionally and I sometimes wish people see animals the way I do. This movie mostly focuses on the corporation side of the meat industry but by all means does not brush over how factory farming works. I think the actors did a decent job but nothing spectacular except perhaps Tilda Swinton which played over the top quite well. Jake Gyllenhaal was also good as a quirky washing up Vet personality I just wished he did something more. The Korean actor Seo-Hyun Ahn did a good job of showing emotion that was needed to make the film more impactful. There is not much more I can say but just say to all people that eat meat to watch this and let me know if you had a different view of how the meat industry works in the real world.

Heart score 4.5/5 Stars
Head score 3/5 Stars

Welcome to the human race...
A Ghost Story -

Me during the first 30 minutes: oh boy, it's going to be like a spooky version of Manchester by the Sea, yippee.
Me during the rest of it: holy f*ck.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A Ghost Story -

Me during the first 30 minutes: oh boy, it's going to be like a spooky version of Manchester by the Sea, yippee.
Me during the rest of it: holy f*ck.

What does this mean?!?!?!!?!

Suspect's Reviews

I've went on a film watching spree in last couple of weeks, so this post will be a bit prolonged...

Rome, Open City (1945) - Roberto Rosselini

Essential piece of Italian neorealism. The second part is a nihilistic masterpiece.

Paisan (1946) - Roberto Rosselini

Film divided into six episodes written by six different people (including Federico Fellini and Sergio Amidei). I thought it was pretty unique but also a bit uneven. My favourite was the last episode.

Germany, Year Zero (1948) - Roberto Rosselini
+
In my opinion, the weakest link of Rosselini's war triology. I think it has aged pretty badly.

Gaslight (1944) - William Wyler
+
One of the rare 40's thrillers that managed to really spark my interest and keep me at the edge of my seat. The entire plotline can be figured out in the first 20 minutes, but the film does an extremely good job of maximizing the suspense and building the momentum for the final act. I really enjoy the performances by Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten, but this was primarily a Charles Boyer show, who did an exceptional job playing one of the most despicable villains on screen ever.

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973) - Sam Peckinpah
-
Peckinpah's intriguing take on the old West. It was enjoyable, but I found myself too distanced from the film, which pretvents me from giving it a higher rating. Bob Dylan's soundtrack was definitely my favourite aspect.

The Great Madcap (1949) - Luis Bunuel

If you wondered what it would be like if Bunuel directed a classic Hollywood film, well this is it. Straight - forward and enjoyable comedy from his early Mexican period.

Bambi (1942) - Disney film
+

The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Luis Bunuel
+
Mesmerizing watch, even on repeat. As good as creativity and imagination can get. It's one of those films, where you wonder how somehow could write this and transform such brilliant ideas to silver screen. Silvia Pinal stated an interesting point in an additional interview, how Bunuel actually created a concept of reality shows with this film. I think she's kind of right !

Criss Cross (1949) - Robert Siodmak

Decent enough noir with a pretty cool ending. I didn't really think much of it.

Detour (1945) - Edgar G. Ullmer
-
Very neat watch for such a short lasting noir. The chemistry between Ann Savage and Tom Neal made this film for me.

Le Corbeau (1943) - Henri-Georges Clouzot
+
I don't hear much about this stylish thriller and it's a shame. It easily beats majority of Hollywood flicks from that period in terms of ambient, intensity and relavance. Le Corbeau was pretty controversial at the time. In a certain way it reminded me of Jagten (2012), because it showed how destructive can nasty rumours be in small towns. Definitely worth a watch.

The Reckless Moment (1949) - Max Ophüls
+
I've felt about this similarly to Criss Cross. Decent enough ,but pretty forgettable. It needed more James Mason.

The Killers (1946) - Robert Siodmak

Very entertaining noir excelling in many aspects.

Shadow of Doubt (1943) - Alfred Hitchcock
-
It seems that mediocrity is a strandard when it comes to Hitcock's films, at least for me.

To Have and Have Not (1944) - Howard Hawks
+
Highly amusing romance/adventure with a great dialogue. Chemistry between future spouses is great to watch.

The Phantom of Liberty (1974) - Luis Bunuel

Bunuel's brilliant humour gets a full exposure in this surrealist tale. Some bits made me laugh out loud like a maniac.

Gilda (1946) - Charles Vidor
+
I didn't care much for the last third of the film. Otherwise its a fine noir. Nothing more or less.

Pinocchio (1940) - Disney Film
+
Pleasant reminiscing of a childhood favourite.

Breathless (1960) - Jean-Luc Godard
+
Even a cool cat like Belmondo couldn't save this disgustingly bad film. The actor himself was convinced that the film was so bad that it would never be released. I can firmly say that I share his past sentiments.( not sure how he feels about it now)

Bitter Rice (1949) - Giuseppe De Santis
+
Overlooked neorealist thriller/drama starring young Vittorio Gassman.

Brief Encounter (1945) - David Lean

Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) - Sam Peckinpah

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) - Albert Lewin
-
Enchanting watch. Evertything about it worked for me.

Great Expectations (1946) - David Lean
-
Fine film, but not something I particularly cared about. I have to say it was a bit distracting having a 40-year old actor playing a 20-year old.

Quai Des Orfevres (1947) - Henri-Georges Clouzot
-
Not as good as Le Corbeau, but still worth watching. It takes a bit too much time to get things going, but the final act is very rewarding.

Crossfire (1947) - Edward Dmytryk

Robert Ryan show !

Children of Paradise (1945) - Marcel Carne
+
Masterpiece which left me crave for more. And that's saying a lot considering the film lasted for 190 minutes ! I lost myself in this dashingly beautiful world of dreamers and courtesans. Spectacular in every imaginable aspect and absolutely worthy of its reputation !

A History Of Violence (2005) - David Cronenberg
-
The amount of acclaim that HOV received baffles me. I don't see anything special about it.

Unregistered User
Split (2016) -

Lemmy (2010) -

Counterpunch (2017)

Kon Tiki (2012) -

George Best: All by Himself (2016) -

Side Note; Just started watching Better Call Saul and think its great.

Jeff Costello I saw your low rating for Breathless and I thought right on, then I saw your low rating for Brief Encounter and I thought what the hell.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

I love the way this film tells a war story. Usually the story is like 'Saving Private Ryan' where the characters are always talking about their lives and then they get attacked. But this entire movie is that 'attack'. Music was great. Not Nolans best work but certainly not his worst.

7.5/10

This might just do nobody any good.
^
I was about to post a small reaction. Loved it. A thrilling display of cinematic mastery.

Nolan's leanest, most tense and most showman like work. Arguably his most emotional as well.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Jeff Costello I saw your low rating for Breathless and I thought right on, then I saw your low rating for Brief Encounter and I thought what the hell.
I had the exact same experience reading that post.