Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

#80 - The Troops of St. Tropez (1964) ~ July 22

This was on TV and I kept watching it. I may have seen this back when I was a kid, but I didn't remember anything about it, so I'm counting it as a first watch. It's great classic fun with Louis de Funès!

Did you watch alot of French or Dutch films as a kid, Cob? Or was English a more familiar language than those for you, actually what was your first language?

Don't answer any of that if you don't want to obviously haha. Sorry for all the questions.

Did you watch alot of French or Dutch films as a kid, Cob? Or was English a more familiar language than those for you, actually what was your first language?
Dutch is my native language, so a lot of the stuff I watched as a kid was in Dutch (mostly dubbed over other languages, especially in the case of cartoons).
Roughly 40% of the people here in Belgium speak French, so I also came into contact with the French language quite a bit (we start learning it here from the age of 10). Most children here have seen some of the typical French (comedy) classics because their parents or grandparents love it from their youth.
Belgium is still a very "Americanized" or at least "Anglo-Saxonized" society, though (and it's only evolving more and more in that direction), so most of the pop culture that we come into contact with, both as children and as adults, is in English. My English is also better than my French for that exact reason. English is everywhere here.

#81 - Dunkirk (2017) ~ July 26

A great cinematic experience that will probably not hold up as well for me during a second viewing, because I do think it lacks the meat to make it tasty and juicy enough for high-quality repetitive watches.
I do recommend watching it in the theater now, though. It needs to be seen on the big screen.

#82 - The Remains of the Day (1993) ~ July 27

This film tells a beautiful story about tragic restraint and in the meanwhile it also serves as a wise fictional representation of certain pre-WWII sentiments among intellectuals. Anthony Hopkins is fantastic as always.

#83 - Platoon (1986) ~ July 28

Extremely engaging war film that examines a certain duality that lives in the soldier's spirit. Strong cinema.

#83- Platoon (1986) ~ July 28

Extremely engaging war film that examines a certain duality that lives in the soldier's spirit. Strong cinema.
WOW. didn't expect that.

Pretty sure that's my favourite war film.

WOW. didn't expect that.

Pretty sure that's my favourite war film.
Apocalypse Now is probably still my favorite pure war film, but I found Platoon to be remarkably strong as well. It certainly deserves its place right up there with the very best war films of all time.

Apocalypse Now is probably still my favorite pure war film, but I found Platoon to be remarkably strong as well. It certainly deserves its place right up there with the very best war films of all time.
Yeah, it meant alot to me that you treated that as fair as you did.

Platoon and Oliver Stone in general is something that's been dropped but it's like one of my favourite films ever so please die if you pretend this hasn't...

can't be bothered, but yeah thanks Cob

I prefer Gummy Bears with Guns. Really tense, thought-provoking and at times hard to watch.

#84 - Lost in America (1985) ~ July 29

This is a depressing yet hilarious comedy that destroys the myth of the free-spirited road movie.
I would've liked to see what would've happened with these two characters without the big twist of stupidity about one third into the film, though. I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get to see that story and this frustration (which was also felt by the characters themselves) never left me during the rest of the film's running time. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I'm afraid I'd ultimately have to conclude that it's the latter.

#85 - La Pianiste/The Piano Teacher (2001) ~ July 30

This was my first Haneke film experience and I absolutely adored it. It's a provocative multi-dimensional psychosexual piece of genius. Huppert's performance must be one of the greatest of all time. What an actress!

#86 - Caché (2005) ~ July 31

This intellectual pseudo-thriller by Haneke has a strong socio-political foundation but still manages to feel personal. Unique and extremely thoughtful cinema!

#87 - Cheatin' (2013) ~ July 31

Good God, I love Plympton so much! On a visual level, there aren't many (animated) filmmakers that surpass him. His films are probably not for everyone, but man are they for me! I enjoy them immensely.
His plots are of course sheer pulp and you shouldn't really take them that seriously, but the manner in which he presents his stories and his themes should be studied by anyone who loves cinema. This film doesn't use ANY words at all. The whole story is told with pure visual filmmaking. It's the dream of some of the old silent masters (a film that needs no intertitles) realized with pen and paint (literally)! Bill Plympton is a genius.

#88 - Raw (2016) ~ August 1

Very decent body horror/coming of age film. Have you seen this, @Swan? I think this could potentially be right up your alley.

#89 - Out of the Blue (1980) ~ August 1

Dennis Hopper was right. This is the absolute perfect compagnon piece to Easy Rider. The tragedy of the final convulsions of the American counterculture was almost never as piercingly put to screen as in this film.