Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

After the Storm (2016) by Hirokazu Koreeda

A subtle family drama drawn on the heritage from the great grandmaster of Japanese Cinema Yasujiro Ozu. Its a beautiful depiction of the pathetic man: divorced, gambling and not fulfilling his dreams but still trying to have a meaningful life. The relations in the movie a subtly changing and portrayed in an understanding way without the big climaxes or confrontations which give a profound inside to the life of the pathetic man. Social-realistic drama, with a heart, the Japanese way anno 2017

movies can be okay...
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

I didn't finish this (and I know myself enough to know that if I had, I would of ended up hating it) and I have no intention on ever visiting it again.

Now the only Lynch film I have yet to see is Wild at Heart (I'm not counting Dune since the director himself pretends it doesn't exist), and after watching this mess of a movie, I'm not sure if I'm interested anymore, in fact, I would say I'm quite disappointed with Lynch as a director overall, none of his films wowed me as I expected (except for maybe Inland Empire). I respect him for always pushing the envelope and not going through the conventional route, but there are other currently working filmmakers that definitely surpass him in that field.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Gift (2015) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

I was wondering how I'd like this now having not seen it since the late 90's. Pretty much the same as far a I can remember, except it's maybe a little lighter than I thought it was. It is a very well paced and entertaining film. Humphrey Bogart is at the top of his game playing Sam Spade, and Peter Lorre should be in everything. I wasn't crazy about Mary Astor in the lead female role, not that it wasn't a good performance, but I just didn't find her very alluring.

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

I was wondering how I'd like this now having not seen it since the late 90's. Pretty much the same as far a I can remember, except it's maybe a little lighter than I thought it was. It is a very well paced and entertaining film. Humphrey Bogart is at the top of his game playing Sam Spade, and Peter Lorre should be in everything. I wasn't crazy about Mary Astor in the lead female role, not that it wasn't a good performance, but I just didn't find her very alluring.
That's exactly how i remember it: very straightforward but fun and Bogart is great. Probably the perfect first Noir to watch. Glad you still liked it.

Welcome to the human race...
War for the Planet of the Apes -
, maybe

Maybe the best of the three, but there's kind of a false note to it that gives me pause. May have to hash this out in a review.

Overall, typical Nolan fare. Visually amazing, superb cinematography, the story is not the most linear (but far from Memento and Inception), and ultimately is does not do that much for me.

I admit outside of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I am not a Nolan fan. The man is by no means a bad director, but how some people think he is the greatest working director when Scorsese is still alive and well is beyond me. That being said if he shoots a movie in IMAX the flick is worth the price of admission. As much as I did not particularly care for Interstellar, seeing that movie in IMAX was quite the experience. And this movie is along the same lines.

Though credit to Nolan he does the the film without narrative plot exposition dumps. There is minimal dialogue in the movie. Dare I say it, the man did a pretty fantastic job telling the story visually and without a Michael Caine monologue. Plus it was nice to see Kenneth Branagh on the big screen again.

It is far from the best movie of the year that the adverts say, but I will take seconds of this movie over the rest of the crap I am skipping this summer.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Cottage Country

(Peter Wellington)

Cottage Country takes awhile before it finds the groove it wants to be in. This happens once the brother is killed. Everything leading up to that is really hit and miss comedy and bad set up. Labine doesn't seem comfortable, Akerman doesn't have much to do and Punch is incredibly annoying. Once the conflict arises, meaning the dead brother, the film finally gets into the right balance of comedy and horror...even though it goes lite on the horror.

Todd brings his girlfriend up to the family cottage with the intention of proposing to her. Problems arise when his loser of a brother, Salinger shows up with his on/off girlfriend and ruins everything. Things go from bad to worse when the two brothers get into a pushing match, which ends with Salinger dead. Now Todd must keep it together before other people find out.

Labine plays Todd, and every-man that people tend to walk over, be it his boss, brother and even wife. There is a bit of Tucker & Dale vs Evil intention here, with the character and overall tone of the film, but Cottage Country fails to deliver the laughs and gore. Instead we get chuckles here and there, mainly from the cast and the situation they are in. Akerman surprised me here. She held her own as the marriage obsessed wife. I forgot she could do comedy well.

The film tries this balancing act, but never quiet finds the footing. There are oddly placed scenes in which Todd sees his dead brother talking to him, but this adds nothing to the story and doesn't happen enough. There are only two scenes we get to see this interaction and decay of his psychological state. There were some tense and funny moments when the couple were trying their best to keep the murders under wraps, but not one memorable scene that stands out as really funny. The film had a decent premise (although it was a bit of a stretch) and it didn't really seem to take any chances. I would have appreciated it more if it had.

Cottage Country is a decent Canadian comedy horror that is 'lite' on both. If you can get past the awful choice of having Lucy Punch do an odd accent for cheap laughs, and you can appreciate the ludicrous aspect of the premise and these horrible characters, then give Cottage Country a look. Just don't expect much, you'll leave a little bit surprised.

Suspect's Reviews

Powder Room (2013)

Don't bother - just don't.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
[center]Cottage CountryThere is a bit of Tucker & Dale vs Evil intention here, with the character and overall tone of the film, but Cottage Country fails to deliver the laughs and gore.
As soon as I saw the poster I thought Tucker and Dale -v- Evil. Will check this out with your last comment in mind.

What a painful slog this movie was. Determined to finish it as I have failed before. Cannot understand the hype at all. Average at best.

Beautiful movie. First saw it in 1977 at its release. Unavailable until recently. Saw it yesterday & it still holds up.

Atomic Blonde (2017) -
?

This was a hot mess. The film started off really strong, but it kept digging itself deeper and deeper into a hole it couldn't climb out of.

I was a fan of the cinematography for the most part. The colours worked well, and I liked a lot of the scene transitions, even if they were borderline gimmicky. I thoroughly enjoyed but also kind of hated the soundtrack. While I loved almost all of the songs on there, they didn't always blend in with the scenes they were part of, and I found myself focusing more on the music than the actual plot. That's what I wanted out of Baby Driver, but not Atomic Blonde.

There were a number of typical twists that never left any impact, and only served to confuse the story. I was no longer engaged with the plot, and the runtime really started to drag. After 99 Luftballons was heard a second time, I was honestly more interested in whether or not I'd hear another David Bowie song, rather than whatever the film was going on about. Spoiler: I did.

Despite the negatives, it was still kind of fun, but I have no idea whether I liked the film or not. My rating comes with a question mark, because I honestly can't decide if it deserves to be better or worse than average.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Atomic Blonde (2017) -
?

Good to know and I trust your judgment. I've been wondering about this. Really not sure about it at this point in time so might wait for dvd

I got the Stalker Blu Ray from the Criterion Collection in recently. Stalker was a film I saw for one of Movie Forum's very first Hall of Fame contests (i want to say it was the second one). It was the recommendation of Guap (an avowed Tarkovsky fan). I had seen a few Tarkovsky films before, but this was the one that finally did something for me. And by do something I mean it was among the most powerful film experiences I ever had. The film was hypnotic and haunting, visual astounding, cinematography that felt more akin to a painting then film, and bathed in deep symbolism of faith vs science vs philosophy. And ever since I have seen this movie I have desired to watch it on Blu Ray and have patiently waited for the Criterion Collection to finally pick up the movie.

Thankfully it has finally come to pass. It took a few years but it happened. The film is still a visual wonder, but the Blu Ray transfer makes the film all the more visually impressive. In addition the sound quality was leagues better then the sound I saw off the YouTube link provided by Guap. And now that I have sat through the film once, I actually found the sit for this film to be much easier. Tarkovsky might put people off with the length of his film, and that is because the man loves his long shots. Creating the feeling of not only a passing of time, but it also means that it is easy to get a 2 hour movie out of Tarkovsky, and he tops off close to 4 hours for Andrei Rublev. But despite the 2 hour and 40 minute run time the film did not drag. I felt too sucked into the visuals and eventually the many many psychological and philosophical hang ups of the Professor, the Writer, and the Stalker himself. And even on a repeat viewing the movie still holds up as a very powerful and contemplative film open to interpretation and discussion. Allowing the right amount of mystery for repeated viewings and further exploration.

and one of my top 25 favorite films of all time.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Beautiful movie. First saw it in 1977 at its release. Unavailable until recently. Saw it yesterday & it still holds up.
Great movie -- my favorite couple in the history of movies.