Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (2016)

I enjoyed this, and was surprised to find out after watching it that it had relatively low ratings. It does look like most of the negative reviews were from Tim Burton fans expecting something more Burton-esque, and fans of the book unhappy with the changes. Well I haven't read the book and have pretty much zero expectations regarding Burton these days and I was pleasantly surprised. It's nice to see Burton not rely on his usual stalwarts and the casting was pretty good (although why Chris O'Dowd had an American accent and Terrence Stamp had an English one when he was from Poland via Wales, who knows). The young actors were good too. Sure, there's a lot that doesn't completely stack up, plot-wise, but I put that down to what in Doctor Who they call 'timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly stuff' and suspended my disbelief a little bit. Most of all I liked this because I was able to watch and enjoy it with my 10-year-old, who tends to roll his eyes when I suggest classics and doesn't like superheroes, so finding anything that's modern sci-fi/fantasy 12-rated and isn't rubbish is always a bonus.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - 10/10

I have a few copies of this movie, saw it at least 15 times, but not in 5 years.. I should do that more often... I also notice the funniest movies are also usually my favorite.. I think the funniest part was when RP first meets with the entire team of psychiatrists, and is asked "What does the phrase 'a rolling stone gathers no moss'".... RP replies, the psychiatrist says "I don't quite understand what you mean" and THEN

"See, I'm smarter than he is." --- I ever laughed out loud...

I've probably reviewed this, but I took some notes this time. Oh, and my 2nd favorite funny part is when RP is introducing the rest of his fellow "doctors" and names "Dr. Scanlin... the famous Dr. Scalin" (because of the beard)... I love it. That's my kind of humor.

I can't read the rest, not much anyway.... I think this is one of the most important movies, and not just because it's my 5th favorite.. It's a great analysis on the system. Nurse Wretched pretends it's a democracy, when it's nothing of the sort. It's there for the illusion (not allusion, illusion!), and uses it for convenience and for show, and maybe to her amusement, as a sorta "They are with me, not YOU" and she takes pleasure when she sees indifference and fear.. Even the second time, she enjoys having the power to say no... Then the artist emerges, and the rest enjoy, and STILL... It reminds me of a bad parent who insist the child be punished, while also saying "How dare you have fun in your empty room?"

Jack Nicholson brings in one of the best performances... I wonder if you guys know that Cassavetes turned down this movie because he insisted on Seymour Cassell (only actor J.C. uses that I don't care for) -- oh well...

Finally, this paragraph will be dedicated to the book, which I have had for almost 15 years, but have never read more than 80 pages in one sitting, so I might do that now, since I have taken LSD.

I Walk Alone (1947)

From the noirs list, Frankie (Burt Lancaster) and Dink (Kirk Douglas) are partners in crime about to get busted when they split up. They promise each other that the one who gets away will split everything with the one who gets caught 50/50 when he gets out of prison. Frankie does 14 years and then comes looking to collect. Dink is now a big shot nightclub owner with no interest in sharing. I thought this was a little above average thanks to the cast which also includes the fabulous Lizabeth Scott. I had never heard of her before but have now seen her in 3 movies in the last 2 weeks. She reminds me a lot of Lauren Bacall, but she only ended up with 30 acting credits for whatever reason despite living to be an old buzzard.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
... the fabulous Lizabeth Scott. I had never heard of her before but have now seen her in 3 movies in the last 2 weeks. She reminds me a lot of Lauren Bacall, but she only ended up with 30 acting credits for whatever reason despite living to be an old buzzard.
Check out Holden's Love Thread to Lizabeth here.

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (2016)

I enjoyed this, and was surprised to find out after watching it that it had relatively low ratings. It does look like most of the negative reviews were from Tim Burton fans expecting something more Burton-esque, and fans of the book unhappy with the changes. Well I haven't read the book and have pretty much zero expectations regarding Burton these days and I was pleasantly surprised. It's nice to see Burton not rely on his usual stalwarts and the casting was pretty good (although why Chris O'Dowd had an American accent and Terrence Stamp had an English one when he was from Poland via Wales, who knows). The young actors were good too. Sure, there's a lot that doesn't completely stack up, plot-wise, but I put that down to what in Doctor Who they call 'timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly stuff' and suspended my disbelief a little bit. Most of all I liked this because I was able to watch and enjoy it with my 10-year-old, who tends to roll his eyes when I suggest classics and doesn't like superheroes, so finding anything that's modern sci-fi/fantasy 12-rated and isn't rubbish is always a bonus.

Since this took place during WWII, I dubbed it "X-Men: the Greatest Generation".

Inside Daisy Clover (1965)

I'm a Natalie Wood fan, but I'm ranking this as my least favorite of her movies so far.

This movie about the shallowness of late-1930's Hollywood is a downer. It's slow moving and there are no likable characters (even Daisy and her mother, played by Ruth Gordon aren't likable).

I woke up a little bit at the mention of Robert Redford's character's homosexuality (which might have been interesting if further explored), but it's only mentioned once and never followed up on. There's also a wasted role for Roddy McDowall as a valet who seems as unfeeling as the rest of the characters.

It's not a musical but there are a couple of musical numbers (as Daisy Clover is made into "America's sweetheart" as a big screen musical starlet by a somewhat heartless movie mogul played by Christopher Plummer). The musical pieces are kind of the highlight of the movie, not because they're catchy tunes, good songs or dazzling productions, but because they're the only scenes where Natalie shows off her good looks & figure!

If you're in the mood for pathos from start to finish, you might get into this movie, otherwise, for a good time, watch Sex and the Single Girl or The Great Race!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

I really wanted to like this movie, I really did. Italian filmmaker Roberto Ando attempts to mix politics, religion, and a mystery with the death of the president of the International Monetary Fund during a G8 summit. A priest was the last to see him alive, when the IMF president offers to "confess". The tension builds up to a complete...I don't know. On the upside, very diverse cast of international actors and some nice stylish shots in certain places, but overall, the story should have been so much better.

2 out of 5 for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Booo. Rise is a masterpiece,
So is John Wick, what's your point?

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes -
, maybe

Has much better claim to being a masterpiece than Rise.

movies can be okay...
Barry Lyndon

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

FIRESTARTER (1984)
Director: Mark L. Lester

The director of Commando, Mark L. Lester, tries his hand at Stephen King territory with mixed results.

The casting is superb. Featuring David Keith, Drew Barrymore, George C. Scott, Art Carney, Louise Fletcher, and Martin Sheen, how could this movie ever go wrong?

The editing possibly. We don't get enough characterization with anyone besides maybe Martin Sheen and C. Scott, which is great, and the father/daughter scenes are rich when they play out for intimate moments, but somehow everyone still feels 2 dimensional. To their credit, Barrymore and Keith are more than convincing as father/daughter and do fine work. There are wooden performances by at least 80% of the bad guys as heard in mostly reactionary voice over cutaway shots. This is due to the casting of stunt men in the roles of the henchmen.

The music score is delicious. Dated but sexy. A sexy score for a film already guilty of working in pedopheliac tones is strange to say the least, but the end showdown is awe inspiring as Tangerine Dream's score beautifully lays out a very well paced series of editing choices, making the final reel exciting and almost hypnotic when the crap hits the fan. Effects are all live and in camera, and the craftsmanship on display is definitely noted by the viewer as fireballs fly in a trio of smooth shots, aimed at the enemies from the sheer will of Charley, the Firestarter girl. Lots of good cable and harness work. The effects, stunts, music, casting and some of the writing is fabulous, as it does seem to honor King's book, for better or worse, surrounded by a film not quite up to the task of employing gravity to the subject matter by way of capable directing. Lester still brings the goods in other ways.

This may not be a page by page faithful adaption of King's work, and it may be silly and sick minded, having General Patton want to do bad things to little girls, but somehow it all plays like an above average late night cable movie, which is most certainly is, anyway.

I saw Rise of the Planet
Of the Apes.
Out of ten,
I gave it eight and one eighths.
I'll try not to be snide.