Suspect's Top 50 Films You Hate, But He Loves.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
42. Rocky IV

39%

"This is grim and witless storytelling, and what makes it so depressing is that it hasn't improved by so much as a chemical trace since the days of the first Rocky."

"The crazed flag-waving would be a lot easier to take if it weren't so clearly a commercial calculation meant to salvage what is otherwise a crass, careless, shamelessly padded film."

"There are simply too many ludicrous elements to ignore: Paulie's robot; Brigitte Nielsen, even less expressive than the robot; about a thousand music-video-styled montages; Lundgren's delivery of Drago's deadly dialogue; etc."

Ladies and gentlemen....the best Rocky film.

Rocky defeats communism and introduces the best Rocky antagonist the series has seen. Upping the stakes with the death of Apollo Creed, gives the film some added weight and the insane boxing choreography adds to the ridiculousness the series went towards.

Yes, any human being would die from receiving a punch that powerful in the ring, but put aside your logic for one second and enjoy to sculpted beasts throwing haymakers left right and centre.

While it is not the WORST in the series, not even I can like V, it is one of the lesser entries. Despite being memorable, people like to make fun of it routinely.

I must break you.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Definitely agreed on Bogus Journey. I would probably add it to such a list and concur with the assessment that it's at least on par with its supposedly superior sequel. Thinking about it, it really is like John Wick: Chapter 2 in that it takes the vague mythology that's alluded to in the original and expands it into its own full-blown universe complete with a whole new plot and villain. It also seems better because it's actually got some structure to it beyond just sending these two doofuses back in time and seeing what happens (which makes Adventure feel much more slack as a result).

Looking back at my list, Wet Hot American Summer and one more film are two that I debated whether or not to put on the list. I decided to look at the box-office take for this film in particular and justified it because it was worse than I thought.

It's a film that I could easily take off though due to the popularity and replace it with something along the likes of the aforementioned Anaconda or Sleepaway Camp 2
Heh, Anaconda would be a good choice for the list, though the fact that it's kind of a cult movie as well may disqualify it. I think you just have to make a judgment call and decide if the cult following is niche enough to be irrelevant to the film's greater negative reputation. I honestly couldn't say whether or not a film like, say, Showgirls belonged on a list like this.

EDIT: Rocky IV is a solid choice, though I'd still put the first and maybe the third and Creed ahead of or equal to it. V seems like it gets a bit of a bad rap, though I guess it seems better if you go in expecting one of the worst movies ever made and it beats your dismal expectations. Hell, what is Creed but an improved remake of V?

I liked Deep Blue Sea quite a bit when it came out. I still have it on DVD though it has been forever since I saw it. It ain't Jaws, but who cares? I also adore Rocky 4. F**k the critics.

I have seen Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, but it has been forever since I have seen it. I barely remember it and their animated TV show.

41. Armageddon

39%

"So predictable it could have been written by a chimp who's watched too much TV, the huge movie is as dumb as it is loud, and it's way too loud. Watching it is like putting your head in a tin washbucket while weightlifters whack it with golf clubs."

"The movie is an assault on the eyes, the ears, the brain, common sense and the human desire to be entertained."

"if ever you needed a stellar example of a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster that sacrifices just about everything in the way of logic, common sense, characterisation and brevity for the sake of creating an apparently entertaining series of flashy action sequences, look no further."

I knew I could count on Iro for another solid quote.

Ladies and gentlemen....Armageddon.

It made a ton of money, but then again, many of Michael Bay's films do. Now this one is a loud and obnoxious film that throws logic out the window and watches it fly away into space. Guess what, I'm still there for the ride. Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Michael Clarke Duncan, Will Patton, Owen Wilson, Steve Buscemi, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare...that's just a few names in this explosive flick.

Bay has directed good movies, I will always point to The Rock as a prime example. He progressively gets worse with each film, that's just a solid fact. Don't bother looking it up, just accept it and move on.

The film has laughs, thrills and tears for those who like the obvious and sentimental. It was bashed by a lot of people. The second quote I chose was from Roger Ebert, who famously gave the film 1 star.

This film came out the same year as Deep Impact, another save the world from an astroid disaster flick. That one went a more serious route and actually had half the astroid hitting Earth, which was a welcomed surprise. Armageddon doesn't want realism. It wants oil drillers flying out in space. It's loud and dumb and I'm not ashamed to say I like it.

Welcome to the human race...
That quote of mine almost reads like a compliment. In any case, I wouldn't call this the worst Bay film (would still put Bad Boys II and at least two Transformers movies ahead of it) but yeah, still not a whole lot to appreciate about it even in comparison to other Bay movies. I'd also contest the idea that he gets progressively worse - Pain and Gain and 13 Hours manage to disrupt that trend.

[center]41. Armageddon

39%

[i] "So predictable it could have been written by a chimp who's watched too much TV, the huge movie is as dumb as it is loud, and it's way too loud. Watching it is like putting your head in a tin washbucket while weightlifters whack it with golf clubs."

I hope no one ever gives me this as a present

40. Payback

54%

"It feels more like a lousy Christopher Lambert thriller: all bad jokes, lampoonish villains and gory violence."

"So generic that it sometimes approaches the self-parody of a Naked Gun movie!"

"Its smirking sense of humor and generic self-consciousness suggest that Payback would like to think of itself as a hip descendant of Pulp Fiction. But the movie is utterly devoid of narrative ingenuity and visual and dramatic flair."

I remember taping this off TMN one night and thinking how cool it looked, how adult it was and that I shouldn't be watching it at 12 years old. Yes the film has violent tendencies, but I could swear I've already seen worse by that age.

Mel Gibson is involved in a heist, stealing $130K from the Triads. He's double crossed and left for dead with some slugs in his back. They should have finished the job. Now he's back with a vengeance, looking to settle the score.

Typical revenge plot becomes something a little more with Gibson in the lead and a stylish noir feel right from the get-go. Reminiscent of gritty 70's thrillers, it doesn't really reach those heights, but it's close enough for me to make it a good film, one that finds a spot on this list.

The audience was a little warmer to this film than critics, but the general consensus seems to be that we do not in fact 'root' for the bad guy and the entire film feels cold. Isn't that the point though? These characters are not good people, we are thrown into this world of depravity.

Anyways, check it out. Payback is a good movie.

I'm not really sure about Bill and Ted. I know i've seen at least one of the films, maybe both, or maybe it was just parts of one or both. I dunno either way i don't remember them too well so can't really say what i think.

The Rocky-Drago fight and the training sequence in Russia are cheesy fun but the rest of the film sans a few bits here and there is very boring i think. always preferred Rocky III of the sequels after Rocky II when they went full over the top cheese.

Haven't seen Payback. I may have watched Armageddon, i know i owned it (and a PS1 game of it i think?) but i'm not positive that i watched it.

I'm not really sure about Bill and Ted. I know i've seen at least one of the films, maybe both, or maybe it was just parts of one or both. I dunno either way i don't remember them too well so can't really say what i think.

The Rocky-Drago fight and the training sequence in Russia are cheesy fun but the rest of the film sans a few bits here and there is very boring i think. always preferred Rocky III of the sequels after Rocky II when they went full over the top cheese.

Haven't seen Payback. I may have watched Armageddon, i know i owned it (and a PS1 game of it i think?) but i'm not positive that i watched it.
That ps1 game might have been a Bruce Willis shooter called Apocalypse.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
watched Armageddon QUITE a few times and always enjoy it. Hell, I happily admit I own it and enjoy the laughs AND the tears it brings. "Promise me, you're coming back. Promise me!" He's NOT, he's NOT coming back -- where the f@ck is my kleenex! I need ice cream!

Same for Payback. Love that movie BECAUSE it is a knock-off 70's grit noir where no one is a good guy. Don't own it, not YET

39. Suburban Commando

17%

"Hey, at least Hogan's consistent with his cinematic output. Consistently awful."

"Shows why Hulk Hogan should've stuck to the wrestling ring."

"Late at night you ask yourself, "How do films like this get made?"

I don't know if any of you have seen this Hulk Hogan masterpiece, but do yourself a favour a get a copy. Be sent back in time to a pure 90's family flick where Hogan wears a bad space outfit and tries to fit in with us humans. This is a comedy classic people!!!

Am I looking at this film through rose tinted glasses? Probably, but as it stands, Suburban Commando is the best film starring Hulk Hogan.

With supporting roles from Christopher Lloyd and "Hi, I'm Shelley Duvall" this film seems to have a bit more to it than his regular shtick. The film is harmless, brainless, family fun with some solid gags that will make you roll your eyes, but chuckle at the absurdity.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
[center]44. Wet Hot American Summer
I LOVED Wet Hot American Summer. So funny. The prequel series wasn't quite as funny for me, mostly because it explained too much that was enjoyably random in the movie, but still pretty good.

That's the only one so far I've seen, besides Rocky IV - although that made the 80s list so a few people here must like that one.

That ps1 game might have been a Bruce Willis shooter called Apocalypse.
Damn, that's definitely it. How on earth is there a Bruce Willis game made around the time of Armageddon with a kind of similar name? A Bruce Willis game, what? What's your favourite videogame genre? Bruce Willis of course.

Not seen Suburban Commando.

Never saw Suburban Commando. But Christopher Lloyd was screaming "I was frozen today!" I will check it out eventually.

Rep for Payback. I liked it enough, but Point Blank with Lee Marvin was better. Mel was bad ass in the flick though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Never saw Suburban Commando. But Christopher Lloyd was screaming "I was frozen today!" I will check it out eventually.

Rep for Payback. I liked it enough, but Point Blank with Lee Marvin was better. Mel was bad ass in the flick though.
Always wondered if that was a remake. Gonna look up Point Blank and check it out. Thanks, guns!!