Funk 'n' Soul song tournament

Tools    

I need to switch my Stevie Wonder song to another Stevie Wonder song

Replace Sir Duke with this

Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out
Done!

Let's jam....Let's jam, radioactive.
You want in on this Seds? Still time if you do....

A system of cells interlinked
Haha no. I just wanted to drop that old MC Fosty track!

Just waiting for @d_chatterley to replace that Sade number (previous tourney runner-up and as such ineligible as kindly pointed out by mojo, knew there was something I'd forgotten to do lol) and then we'll quit selling tickets and move all the tables and chairs to the sides of the room.

@Chypmunk Here is the replacement for Sade:

Stevie Wonder - Ma Cherie Amour

I replaced it on my list as well on prev. post.

So many Soul Trainvid dance clips to choose from!

The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) vs Chi-Lites - Oh Girl No contest here for me. I was enamoured of that Philly soul back in those days (I know they're not Philly strictly but same genre)

A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie § (alt link if req) vs The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone of course the Temp's psychadelic period was really great, and brilliant at the time, but Taste of Honey is very danceable...

Smokey Robinson - Being With You vs Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now Smokey has a great sweet soul voice too, but If You Don't Know Me has some good memories

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody vs Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind § (alt link if req) Etta, classic soul voice, so much emotion

Merry Clayton - Southern Man vs War - Why Can't We Be Friends? - I like Merry's voice. I'm so used to my favourite version of Southern Man by CSN&Y that hearing it redone is fresh

Maceo and the Macks - Cross The Tracks vs Noora Noor - Dedication - oh damn, I love this girl's voice, but that manic trumpet on Cross The Tracks gets me everytime!

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide vs Lipps INC - Funkytown - Cymande are quality, check out more if you don't know them

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Retreat! vs Ohio Players - Fire - Love that feisty big band soul!

Sorry folks, only just noticed as I'm listening to this set that mojo's Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone is damn near 12 minutes long so I've swapped it out for the 7 minute version instead. Apologies for not noticing sooner and bringing it up with mojo himself as that version is clearly not eligible.

ROUND ONE - DAY ONE

The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) vs Chi-Lites - Oh Girl
Nothing against the second - first is just more my jam

A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie § (alt link if req) vs The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone
Both good tracks

Smokey Robinson - Being With You vs Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Both good but If You Don't Know Me By Now just has that bit more to it for me

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody vs Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind § (alt link if req)
Gutted these two were pitched against each other as I love both and was considering them myself

Merry Clayton - Southern Man vs War - Why Can't We Be Friends?
My nom but an easy choice for me anyway as not keen on that one from War

Maceo and the Macks - Cross The Tracks vs Noora Noor - Dedication
Had a cpl of Maceo Parker tracks on my shortlist but I love Noora's voice and this is one of my favourites off her Soul Deep album

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide vs Lipps INC - Funkytown
Brothers On The Slide was on my shortlist, I love Funkytown too but prefer the shorter version tbh

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Retreat! vs Ohio Players - Fire
Fire's great but I love Retreat, another shame they were pitched against each other

ROUND ONE - DAY ONE

The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
The Jacksons song is very funkadelic

A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie § (alt link if req)
I'm going against my own nom here. A Taste of Honey is too good. Better than Papa

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Love this song!

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
Ain't Nobody is one of my all-time favorite songs

War - Why Can't We Be Friends?
Southern Man is a great soulful tune , but sticking with my nom here

Noora Noor - Dedication
Dedication got me

Lipps INC - Funkytown
Sticking with familiarity

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Retreat!
Retreat!

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

GOT to go with Chi-Lites

A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie § (alt link if req) vs The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone
This was INCREDIBLY hard. Really love Boogie Oogie Oogie, but I love Papa Was a Rolling Stone just a little more

Smokey Robinson - Being With You vs Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Always love Smokey but Melvin and the Blue Notes really bring some soul to this song

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody vs Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind § (alt link if req)
CANNOT believe I'm voting AGAINST my lady Etta, but I do LOVE Ain't Nobody

Merry really does a beautiful rendition of Southern Man but the groove to War as been a fav since childhood

WOW what a voice Noora has. Gonna have to check out more of her

gonna hafta check out more of cymande but Funkytown is an old time favorite

D@MN near voted against my nom on this one. Retreat is very good

Let the night air cool you off
The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) vs Chi-Lites - Oh Girl - "Oh Girl" is so smooth and timeless. And you can feel the angst like a kick to the breadbasket. And as far as "Shake Your Body", it was just a reminder that Michael Jackson had an amazing voice. But of course, that was never a question. It's just striking when you've gone awhile without hearing one of his songs.

A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie § (alt link if req) vs The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone - I listened to the 12 minute version, because I don't mind the length. And I would have voted for it regardless of length. Not that there is anything wrong with the other song, but it's pretty average.

Smokey Robinson - Being With You vs Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now - I really wasn't digging Smokey's voice on this one, but as the song goes on I got used to it. It's not the worst thing in the world, and I started even to enjoy it a little bit. It still isn't a great song. On the other hand, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes sing with real feeling.

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody vs Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind § (alt link if req) - Lol. This is no contest. This is like Mike Tyson vs Butterbean. Butterbean is being slept in the first round. I can see myself voting for this in the final, so hopefully it makes it a long way. I hear a lot of this song in Chris Stapleton's "Tennessee Whiskey" cover.

Merry Clayton - Southern Man vs War - Why Can't We Be Friends? - Easy choice. I dug Merry Clayton's funky southern soul cover of this song. The way she sang "I swear by God" was a small, but really exciting moment. I don't really get the love for War, they are in between meh and alright. I do like the reggae vibe of this song though, but ultimately it's a corny and obvious song. The part where they repeat "why can't we be friends?" over and over again is really grating.

Maceo and the Macks - Cross The Tracks vs Noora Noor - Dedication - Of course it's Queen christine showing y'all how to nominate a funk song. I wonder how many times that song has been sampled in hip hop songs. Wikipedia shows four times, but I swear it has to be way more than that. Nothing wrong with the other song, but I would like to hook up Noora Noor with better lyrical content and see how she does.

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide vs Lipps INC - Funkytown - New rule: only christine gets to nominate funk songs. The only nom worthy funk songs so far come from her. And really "Funkytown" isn't all that terrible, but it's kind of a silly mess of a song that starts way better than it ends. It's a really ambitious song too, I'll give it credit for that. It's more disco than funk though, but whatever.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Retreat! vs Ohio Players - Fire - "Fire" is a funk song that I don't have a problem with, and it wasn't nominated by christine. That's a good thing. I was considering a Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings song, but it wasn't this one.

ROUND ONE - DAY ONE

Both are great songs, but something about the vocals on "Oh Girl" agrees with me better.

This one is really tough. I guess I'm just more familiar with Funkytown but I am digging Cymande as well. Will have to check them out.

Making it on to the R2 playlist:
Chi-Lites - Oh Girl
A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind
Merry Clayton - Southern Man
Noora Noor - Dedication
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Retreat!

Tied match that requires breaking:

Let the night air cool you off
Sly and the Family Stone - Dance To The Music vs The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes § (alt link if req)

The Pointer Sisters - Automatic § (alt link if req) vs Chaka Khan & Rufus - Tell Me Something Good

Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto vs Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me

Carla Thomas - Strung Out vs Bar-Kays - Hit And Run

Stevie Wonder - Ma Cherie Amour vs Anthony Hamilton - Comin' From Where I'm From

Darondo - Let My People Go vs Dan Covay - Memphis

Betty Davis - Nasty Gal vs Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up

Bobby Rush - I Wanna Do The Do vs Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N.

Sly and the Family Stone - Dance To The Music vs The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes § (alt link if req) not heard Smiling Faces for ages. I love Sly & Family Stone, but Smiling Faces is so good.

The Pointer Sisters - Automatic § (alt link if req) vs Chaka Khan & Rufus - Tell Me Something Good Tell Me Something Good, such a great song, dirty and sexy!

Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto vs Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me - Cuban vibes amongst the funk in The Ghetto, love the bongo drums too

Carla Thomas - Strung Out vs Bar-Kays - Hit And Run I like Carla Thomas she has a great voice, but the Bar-Kays are a favourite of mine

Stevie Wonder - Ma Cherie Amour vs Anthony Hamilton - Comin' From Where I'm From aww Ma Cherie Amour is lovely but I really like Anthony Hamilton. I've got a couple of his cds

Darondo - Let My People Go vs Dan Covay - Memphis - voting for mine cos I like it more, but Memphis is more reggae to my ears

Betty Davis - Nasty Gal vs Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up - Marvin Gaye is a king of soul, but that Betty Davis track is brilliant

Bobby Rush - I Wanna Do The Do vs Janelle Monae - Q.U.E.E.N. not heard Janelle before, but she's good.

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide

Like both. Heard Funkytown too much though and it's obviously repetitive so it was a fairly easy decision.

Sorry to whoever nominated Funkytown.

Many thanks @Camo - really is much appreciated

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide joins the others in R2.

I'll refrain from voting in the rest of the tournament (unless another participant goes awol) so there'll be no more possibility of ties in this tourney