Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Solace

(Afonso Poyart)

I felt like I could have been the third psychic in this film as I saw everything this film was going to do before it happened. Solace tries to be many things, but fails to be a poor imitation of all of them. A great cast is weighed down by bad direction, uninspired chase sequences and Anthony Hopkins bad hair.

John lives in isolation, the death of his daughter was too much for him to handle. His old friend Joe asks him to come back to help them catch a serial killer. John has a gift, he's psychic and Joe wants to use this to their advantage in catching the killer. There's only one problem, the killer is psychic too and far more powerful than John.

Interesting set-up, but the film never reaches its full potential, instead in meanders around in mediocrity that it becomes a chore to get through to the credits. The film starts to gain momentum when the killer, played by Colin Farrell turns up, but by then I feel like I already had checked out and was more interested in seeing what Hopkins' hair would do next, instead of the story.

Visually, Poyart steals from the Nicolas Cage crapfest, Next, to showcase possible outcomes for the characters. The rest of the film feels like it could have been made for basic television. It's a surprise to me that there is a talented cast here because the material shouldn't warrant one. Along with Hopkins and Farrell, it also stars Jeffery Dean Morgan and Abbie Cornish. A talented cast does not equal great performances though and Cornish deserves the "all hustle" award for trying, but ultimately doing nothing.

Apparently the first draft of this script was written to be a sequel to Se7en. After whatever happened to stop that, it was turned into this. Interesting premise, stalled by everything that managed to put it to the screen.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Still waiting on that new list, Suspect. Your current one doesn't count.
Yeah yeah, you'll get one when I finish the current one.

But, prepare to be disappointed.

“I was cured, all right!”

After 3 hrs with Kwaidan I was thinking... What should I watch just for fun now? Well, let's watch some of the Hong Kong flicks that I have and didn't watched yet...

Yeah baby, Ultra Stylish, dark, violent, fun, Tony Leung and uncompromised!
Hong Kong cinema in the 80's and 90's was the faster/funny in the world!

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah yeah, you'll get one when I finish the current one.

But, prepare to be disappointed.
The fact that I keep coming back to this site at all should be a sign of how I am constantly prepared to be disappointed.

Speaking of Top 100 material...

Aguirre, the Wrath of God -

Very interesting documentary.

Re-watched this. Liked it better than the first time I saw it. Strong acting except for OTT Jared Leto. Interesting to see a very young Stewart.

Not bad at all. Not a patch on the original Danish trilogy, but entertaining.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) by Robert Altman

An original and thoughtful take on the western genre with a rich character development throughout the film. One of my favorite Altmans, up on par with The Long Goodbye.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

- Strange Magic is a film my girlfriend enjoyed that she has tried to make me watch for a couple of months now. Knowing the abysmal reception and, simply put, how bad it looked, I wasn't interested. I watched it though, and yeah, it was about what I expected. The animation looks very, very low-budget and abysmal. The characters are archetypes, but, more than that, the subplots are loosely threaded, all about squeezing as many musical performances as possible without it being too much of an off-put. This might not have been that bad a fact, but it isn't even actual original music, instead, it's covers of popular music, and that makes the offering seem all the more lazy, it's like a cheaper, less profitable Trolls.

- I don't have a whole lot to say about The Little Prince. This is the second French animated film I've watched this month. The film had a lot of known names to its cast and I enjoyed its animation and it definitely had a certain charm about it. Truth be told, if I were asked what I thought about it, I'd say I am somewhere in the middle, but there's a caveat to my opinion as well. I watched this film at around midnight, I had woke up the night before at around five in the afternoon, then, worked a whole shift from 10pm to 7am, then, stayed up til midnight. In other words, I was up for around 30 hours, and I was on the brink of passing out the entire time that film played. I don't know that I can really criticize or even praise something I was only vaguely conscious for.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Jeepers Creepers

Good first third......the rest ain't that good....or scary.

2 and a half out of 5

Jeepers Creepers 2

Trash, couldn't finish it.

Why did I watch the second after the first? I'm stupid.

1 out of 5

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

Blind watch, although I brilliantly guessed correctly that it had something to do with a bicycle and thievery. For a while I was wondering why this jerkoff couldn't just borrow a bike for work with all the people he knows, but then the hopelessness was presented so well that I bought into it. The guy was still a jerkoff, and in fact everyone in the movie but the kid was a miserable bastard. It's such a beautifully filmed movie and I thought much of it was masterful. I felt that it got off track a little bit about halfway through when he followed the old guy to the church, and that seemed to kick off some time as a fairly conventional narrative. A great finale made up for it.

knife in the water roman polanski film, well worth a watch if you enjoy thrillers 7/10

I have to return some videotapes.

Dunkirk -
+

Worth seeing in theaters. I'm not a huge war movie fan but I really enjoyed this.

Dead Reckoning (1947)

-

Not one of the best from the noirs list or one of Bogie's best, but still pretty damn good. He's in the military and on assignment in the U.S. with a buddy, and the buddy ends up expired. Perhaps there's more murder to come, and maybe even a gal who's trouble? I didn't think it was especially memorable or exciting, but it's solid in every way.

[center][size="6"][b]Perhaps there's more murder to come, and maybe even a gal who's trouble?
Murder and shady dames in a Noir? Man this film must have really broke the mold .

Finally got to see The Hateful Eight.

I went into it not knowing much about it. I was expecting a more traditional QT flick with lots of action. A hour and a half through I started to get disappointed. I didn't realize until shortly after that this was more of a murder/mystery. Sort of wished I knew that going into it so I wasn't expecting something completely different.

That said, it was fairly good for me. Definitely not his best movie (maybe not even top 5) but it was solid. Sort of a gory Agatha Christie novel.

~Groundhog Day~