Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

What about the 81 from Metacritic or 93 on RottenTomatoes?
I'd say there is still a lot of hype given the fact that TODAY is the actual release date. It's still too early, I would expect the score to drop.

In any case, I don't see this movie better than the first two.

Synecdoche, New York (2008) -

This just might be the greatest I've seen

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Welcome to the human race...
SPL -

Good movie, plus I might as well plug the History of Violence series of articles on The A.V. Club as they cover the most important action movie of every year (with SPL being their pick for 2005, and not without good reason).

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I watched this with my girlfriend, it's a French animated musical that has vibes of Beauty and the Beast, as well as The Phantom of the Opera. It was a film she really liked, and a film I really disliked. The voice-acting and music isn't awful, but the story-line feels really, really thrown together and sappy.

L'Age d'Or (1930) - Luis Bunuel

Las Hurdes (1933) - Luis Bunuel

The Shop Around The Corner (1940) - Ernst Lubitsch
+
The Talk Of The Town (1942) - George Stevens

To Be Or Not To Be (1942) - Ernst Lubitsch
+
Casablanca (1942) - Michael Curtiz

Red River (1948) - Howard Hawks
+

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Passengers

(Morten Tyldum)

Back in 2011, there was a film that was advertised as a sci/fi thriller about mystery men who seemed to be able to control literally everything. They were determined to stop Matt Damon from interacting with Emily Blunt. I went and saw that film and was disappointed to find out that it was simply a love story, disguised as a thriller. The same can be said for Passengers, which follows a similar advertising scheme. This film has no mystery behind it, no agenda and relies too heavily on looking pretty.

Two people wake up from their hibernation pods 90 years too early. Their on a ship to a new planet to start a new society. Can they find their way back to sleep, or will they be doomed to live the rest of their life alone on this massive ship designed for thousands. To make matters worse, parts of the ship are malfunctioning and could potentially lead to deadly consequences.

That's my best summary because if I were to tell you what really happens, it would somewhat spoil the movie. Heck, I can't even talk about the themes and questions the film asks because it would be spoiling the movie.

The two leads, Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt are two of the biggest leading actors today. They have some good chemistry together and while it is fun to watch them do anything and everything they can to kill time together, it's not enough to engage the viewer into the story. The story lacks a strong narrative and feels a little too convenient at times, which is distracting. The convenient aspect happens when another character shows up at just the right time, supplies them with just the right information and the means to fix their problem...then disappears. Lazy writing.

Tyldum, who's other big film was the Oscar nominated The Intimidation Game, offers up some gorgeous visuals of space and of the ship. The film looks sleek and it feels appropriate for such a story. We get an early sequence of a character out in space, just letting the vastness of it all take over them. It's beautiful. Another notable sequence is when both Lawrence and Pratt enjoy the view of passing around a star. Tyldum imbues the film with great images, so much that I think he forgot about the story and characters. For a film about two people stranded on a ship, the characters feel somewhat hollow and only feel alive due to the performances from the actors.

I have issues with the choices of characters here, which I suppose is what Tyldum wants you to debate about. These actions make it difficult to sympathize with characters, despite their terrible situation. Passengers wants to be a grand sci/fi epic, but feels too small a story for the visuals depicting otherwise. Also, can we stop with the boring posters of actors faces? Come on.

Suspect's Reviews

Also, can we stop with the boring posters of actors faces? Come on.
I think that style of poster could be okay for a proper character-driven drama, but I agree that it's very bland and overused, and this one certainly doesn't match the advertising for the film (even if those trailers were misleading).

I have to return some videotapes.

The House

Captain America: Civil War
-
Transformers: The Last Knight

Hush

Baby Driver
+

The Stanford Prison Experiment
- Damn was it disturbing, wow.
The Nice Guys

Alien: Covenant
+
Get Out
-
Silence
- I can respect the filmmaking, but I will not be watching this again.

Split

La La Land

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
+
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Captain Underpants

I have to return some videotapes.
I've been gone a good 4 months and as I come back you're still not done with your top films list. Come on!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've been gone a good 4 months and as I come back you're still not done with your top films list. Come on!
Because I don't want members like you to miss out on it all

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Doesnt stand up to the charm of the first one. Great scenery, lovely retro colour palette without being OTT, nice cinemtography, good soundtrack, kid was great, but I had no connection with the dog. Felt like the director was still heartbroken that Koko died and the movie just lacked heart. One long australiana music video. I was disappointed and nodded off towards the end.

Beauty and the Beast (2017)