Why do some of you just quit watching a Movie?

Tools    

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I seriously don't get it when someone just stops a movie without finishing it. Several users on here have admitted it with saying something like "Yeah, I stopped the Movie 30 Minutes in because I didn't like it." If it's 'Son of the Mask,' I totally understand. But you just don't quit a film, then judge it right then and there, no matter what it is.

I understand people are entitled and are allowed to do what they want to do. However; Film is an art form that needs to be experienced, as you witness the entire film in it's full running time. You don't see me like: "Wow, this 'Boyhood' is super long and a bit boring, I'M JUST GOING TO STOP AT THE HALFWAY POINT AND JUDGE IT THEN RIGHT THEN AND THERE!” Again, not everyone should be held by the same standard I hold myself to when watching a film. I just find it to be very immature.

Simple - I often have a finite amount of free time and I don't want to waste it on something I hate. If I do force myself to finish something that I have a strong urge to turn off, it's extremely rare for me to form a positive or even neutral opinion of it by the end. Actually, I can't think of a single time that has happened.

There have been a few instances too where I've turned a movie off and then gone back and tried again months later and finished the film - only to still hate it.

So at this point I pretty much only force myself to finish something I hate if I'm watching it for a Hall of Fame or if I've promised another MoFo that I'd watch it.

Depends on the movie, like you said. I've walked out of a John Sayles movie twice, two different films. He's now my fave director. If the mood isnt there then you just stop. It's easy. And you judge, too. That's the good thing about being human. You're allowed to be wrong and then change your mind about something and not feel as if you are inadequate or a damn fool. Doesn't work like that. We're progressive beings and we screw up daily.

"yeah, I put my feet on Eddie's couch."

I shut off movies from time to time, I proudly admit it too. Usually I give them 15 minutes, and if they suck, away they go. The last film I shut off was this one:

Would you want to watch that?

Neither did I! Enough said

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I seriously don't get it when someone just stops a movie without finishing it. Several users on here have admitted to saying something like "Yeah, I stopped the Movie 30 Minutes in because I didn't like it." If it's 'Son of the Mask,' I totally understand. But you just don't quit a film, no matter what it is. (Even 'Salo'... maybe.) I understand people are entitled and are allowed to do what they want to do. However; Film is an art form that needs to be experienced, as you witness the entire film in it's full running time. You don't see me like; "Wow, this 'Boyhood' is super long and a bit boring, I'M JUST GOING TO STOP AT THE HALFWAY POINT AND JUDGE IT THEN RIGHT THEN AND THERE!” Again, not everyone should be held by the same standard I hold myself to when watching a film. I just find it to be very immature.
For the same reason people don't finish books. IT IS NOT ENJOYABLE!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Same as I walk out of a restaurant if I dont like the food

I shut off movies from time to time, I proudly admit it too. Usually I give them 15 minutes, and if they suck, away they go. The last film I shut off was this one:

God, that looks like such *****...

For the same reason people don't finish books. IT IS NOT ENJOYABLE!
Film is a visual medium. There's a difference.

I shut off movies from time to time, I proudly admit it too. Usually I give them 15 minutes, and if they suck, away they go.
I invariably find when I turn off a horrible movie that I have reached the 30 minutes mark. If I don't like the movie by then, I never will.

Film is a visual medium. There's a difference.
Yeah but some people have seen enough films and have enough instinct to know the tone and the general crappiness early on. I've gone back and finished movies just to be a trooper and give them their due only to kick myself, with the exception of a few films I wasn't equipped to watch in my 20's like John Sayles.

John Sayles. John Sayles.

Yeah but some people have seen enough films and have enough instinct to know the tone and the general crappiness early on. I've gone back and finished movies just to be a trooper and give them their due only to kick myself, with the exception of a few films I wasn't equipped to watch in my 20's like John Sayles.

John Sayles. John Sayles.
It's really weird too how I can totally love a movie in the first 5 minutes, but really cannot say why. Some movies just grab you, many don't.

It's really weird too how I can totally love a movie in the first 5 minutes, but really cannot say why. Some movies just grab you, many don't.
I think with age, speaking for myself only of course, there's an ability to weed out the trash and know the gems almost immediately that come along once in a great while.

I used to be able to turn movies off until I found this place and turned psycho.
That's the most hillarious thing I've ever heard, Cricket.

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I seriously don't get it when someone just stops a movie without finishing it. Several users on here have admitted to saying something like "Yeah, I stopped the Movie 30 Minutes in because I didn't like it." If it's 'Son of the Mask,' I totally understand. But you just don't quit a film, no matter what it is. (Even 'Salo'... maybe.) I understand people are entitled and are allowed to do what they want to do. However; Film is an art form that needs to be experienced, as you witness the entire film in it's full running time. You don't see me like; "Wow, this 'Boyhood' is super long and a bit boring, I'M JUST GOING TO STOP AT THE HALFWAY POINT AND JUDGE IT THEN RIGHT THEN AND THERE!” Again, not everyone should be held by the same standard I hold myself to when watching a film. I just find it to be very immature.
Hey I loved Son of the Mask! It's nearly as hillarious as Cricket's post.
With that baby and all of them dancing around.

Love is brewing....nuff said

God, that looks like such *****...

I completely understand turning that off, but what I don't get is why you were trying to watch it in the first place?

I completely understand turning that off, but what I don't get is why you were trying to watch it in the first place?
Well I got it mainly for my wife, but I did think it could be a nice family type movie and I do like some Hallmark movies, but she didn't like the movie much and it drove me crazy.

I invariably find when I turn off a horrible movie that I have reached the 30 minutes mark. If I don't like the movie by then, I never will.
Again, If it's for say: these two...

I can totally understand. But you have to watch a film all the way through. I know you don't want to waste your time with something someone put an enormous amount of time, effort, and passion into. But a film is suppose to be seen all the way through for you to have a legitimate opinion on it, It doesn't matter If:
some people have seen enough films and have enough instinct to know the tone and the general crappiness early on.
Again, If it's something like 'Scary Movie 5,' hell yeah, that's a rotten piece of trash that you don't need to use your valuable time to sit all the way through to have an opinion on it.
But, let's say for instance, you watch something with universal acclaim, like:

You don't turn the film off because of it's drawn out pace and the endless crying of the baby. You continue to witness what the filmmakers are trying to convey. THEN you can have an opinion on it. You can't just take the first bite, then spit it out. You have to chew on it more, swallow, and then let it digest.... unless It's 'Kangaroo Jack.' F**k that movie.