Sin City

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I've been reading about this on Aint it cool news and IMDB, and I am pretty excited. an adaptation of Frank Miller's black hearted comics noir, and directed by Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, and Miller himself, this one has a really impressive cast (Bruce Willis, Benicio Del Toro, Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, and Rosario Dawson to name a few) and a top flight creative team...I really can't wait to see this. Hope it lives up to the comics.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

This is the cast as of June 16.

Mickey Rourke
Bruce Willis
Jessica Alba
Maria Bello
Kate Bosworth
Steve Buscemi
Rosario Dawson
Benicio del Toro
Michael Clarke Duncan
Carla Gugino
Josh Hartnett
Jaime King
Michael Madsen
Brittany Murphy
Clive Owen
Marley Shelton
Christopher Walken
Elijah Wood

I am pretty darn excited.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

I thought QT is only directing one scene. Apparantly, RR is paying him $1 to do it. The same price QT paid RR for doing the music score on Kill Bill Vol.2.

really? for some reason that makes me laugh

Originally Posted by Parky
I thought QT is only directing one scene. Apparantly, RR is paying him $1 to do it. The same price QT paid RR for doing the music score on Kill Bill Vol.2.
Yeah i heard that, hope its not like four rooms, that sucked

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Yeah i heard that, hope its not like four rooms, that sucked
Four Rooms didn't suck, and I'm betting Sin City will punch you right in the kisser, it'll be so good.

By the way, this thread needs some artwork:

EDIT: In my opinion Four Rooms sucked, except Rodriguez's bit, i thought Tim Roth was t3h gh3y, couldnt stand him, or the theme song

All I have to say about the cast is WOW.

I'm really looking forward to this now, thanks for posting

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ProfGreen
All I have to say about the cast is WOW.

I'm really looking forward to this now, thanks for posting
Yeah, I don't know how they got all these names under one roof, but I'll tell you this: Mickey Rourke, Jaime King, Clive Owen, Brittany Murphy, Bruce Willis, and Jessica Alba are the cornerstones. This film centers around three independent, but interconnected Sin City yarns, and those actors are playing the chief characters found in each.

Although, there are a ridiculous number of characters in Sin City, so expect to see them all (that means cameos!).

On the set Sin City footage

The clip is okay, nothing amazing (yet). I'm still excited though.

(I'm hoping this isn't what they showed at ComicCon, Holden.)

Originally Posted by Garrett
(I'm hoping this isn't what they showed at ComicCon, Holden.)
God NO.

As many of you probably heard, in order to get Frank's approval for Sin City Rodriguez got Josh Hartnet and made a little three minute short, adapted from a self-contained Sin City short story. He shot it, editied it, scored it - the whole bit. Frank loved what he saw, and they went forward immediately. Then rather than try to describe the look they were going for when rounding up actors for the film, they simply traveled with that Hartnet footage. It worked.

Well, they showed that footage at ComicCon, as well as a couple more minutes of some of the many actors in the film as their characters - but no, not just in an overlit set with greenscreen. Either with temporary backgrounds or dropping all black behind them. Trust me, it looks great. They also intercut some panels from the Sin City stories they were adapting, to show how on the money they are recreating the very stylized Frank Miller look.

It's frippin' great.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Sleezy
So, is that footage available? I'd like to see it.
Robert Rodriguez said he'd have that footage up on his website in the next two or three weeks. They rushed to get some done specifically to wow the audience at ComicCon. We were all sufficiently wowed.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Robert Rodriguez said he'd have that footage up on his website in the next two or three weeks. They rushed to get some done specifically to wow the audience at ComicCon. We were all sufficiently wowed.
Can you describe the film style in detail? How does it compare to the look of the graphic novels? Is the film in stark black-and-white? Does it use internal dialogue/voice-overs? PLEASE tell me, because the E.T footage didn't show much.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Can you describe the film style in detail? How does it compare to the look of the graphic novels? Is the film in stark black-and-white? Does it use internal dialogue/voice-overs? PLEASE tell me, because the E.T footage didn't show much.
Some color is used, just like the books, but yes, it's in black and white. Yes, voice-over is used. You won't believe it until you see it for yorself, but trust me, much of what was shown was EXACT duplications of the books. Exact. The same use of shadow and silhouette and odd perspective and all of it. EVERYthing. That's why they used mostly green screen, so that every single shot can be stylized like Frank Miller's visions from the books.

Robert and Frank co-directed, and whenever Frank wanted to change a shot, Rodriguez would whip out the books, and say, "Nope, that's not how you inked it." When Frank was told his own original vision was best, he usually agreed.

There was some improvising on the set, and certainly some things "between" the action in the panels had to be invented, but all in all they say they were painstakingly faithful to the Sin City books. From the little we saw, I'd have to say yes, INCREDIBLY faithful. It's amaizng stuff.

It's nice to see Jessica Alba remembering her roots and doing "geek" movies. I thought all was lost after Honey and she would quickly get a record contract and start dating Ben Affleck. With Fantastic Four and Sin CIty she can once again be the wet dream of geeks around the world.