Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Just saw 'Split' and Holy Sh*t. Now, the Movie was already pretty decent and McAvoy was absolutely brilliant. But that ending might bolt it to a 4, maybe...

Shattered Glass (2003)

True life story of journalist Stephen Glass who wrote for the political magazine The New Republic until it was found out that more than half the stories he'd written for years were mostly fabricated. The way the movie presents him (as played by Hayden Christensen...no groans, please ) is as an eager-to-please writer whose constant reply to being confronted about anything is "Are you mad at me?" When asked for numbers of his contacts or sources for the stories, he always says he "has the notes at home." It's fairly impressive (in a negative way of course) how long he puts his bosses off when his lies start to rise to the surface. His first editor is played excellently by Hank Azaria as an easy-going man who believes and believes in his mostly young workers and usually doesn't question them or their sources. The fact that he doesn't get along with the publisher of the mag only makes them like him more. When he's forced to leave The New Republic. one of Glass's fellow writers, Charles Lane (a fine Peter Sarsgaard) is given the editor's job and everyone is tense as to how good of a boss he'll be. So when an internet journalist (Steve Zahn) and his co-worker (Rosario Dawson) start to find major errors in the Glass stories and the nonexistence of the sources cited by Glass, Lane is not as easy-going as the first editor and starts his own internal investigation to try to head off the damage he sees coming to his magazine. For those who don't like Christensen, this is probably the third role I've seen him in outside of the Star Wars films where he does a great job as the young man who wants to do a good job and be accepted but can't seem to tell the truth to save his life. Sarsgaard is really excellent as he grows less and less patient with Glass, leading Glass's co-workers to take his side. Two of his more loyal co-workers are Chloë Sevigny and Melanie Lynskey who are also fine. Very riveting drama, well worth seeing.

RocknRolla (2008)

Guy Ritchie-directed flick, with his usual cast of crazy characters, lots of violence, but with an extreme dose of humor running throughout. Stories cross, crisscross, double back on each other, etc. etc, but it somehow all resolves itself. London's top mob boss (or so he considers himself), played by Tom Wilkinson is trying to do business with new-in-town Russian gangsters over real estate, but a priceless painting belonging to the Russian leader left in Wilkinson's care is stolen, and the search is on for it. Meanwhile, a trio of Wilkinson's underlings (played hilariously by Gerard Butler, Idris Elba, and Tom Hardy) are busy ripping off hundreds of thousands from various Russian hoods, who may be connected to Wilkinson's friend. And...the painting was taken by someone Wilkinson knows, then is taken by someone else and makes the rounds; people who are after each other barely miss each other; Thandie Newton is an "accountant" who takes the money that Butler has ripped off; Wilkinson's right-hand man, played by Mark Strong, is on the lookout for Wilkinson's missing rock and roll star of a stepson, who's played by Toby Kebbell who is hilarious as the constantly stoned loser whose records are climbing the charts because he's been reported dead. Pressure keeps building all the way through with everybody (including many I haven't mentioned) trying to please the bad guys or face the consequences while certain of the lower ranks don't care and do what they can to mess things up. Oh, and Gemma Arterton puts in an appearance as a "Girl Friday" at a recording company, which is a good thing. Hilarious stuff.

Unregistered User
What We Do in The Shadows (2014) - Definitely one of the better comedy horrors. Shot in mockumentary style, it is very funny at times.

T2 Trainspotting (2017) - Didn't work for me. Felt like a depressing attempt at cashing in on the first, which I loved.

Sex and the Single Girl (1964)

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Hateful Eight

It's been a while since I've seen a film so cruel and mean-spirited. That being said, I was thoroughly engaged throughout, the acting was excellent across the board, and the tension is palpable. One of Tarantino's most interesting films, for sure.

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Years. Like since the last Potter. I see it three ways: you have showing of the brutal machinery that, in this case, TV networks are, but that's just almost random,everything's a brutal machinery. With Faye being the devil (a thing she has a thing for, I've rarely seen her otherwise, or at least not disturbed) and robert her assistant. I don't get it why people love movies who picture an evil. To show you it's evil? If you already know that, you don't like to be reminded of it, right? If you don't, at least for myself, I'd rather remain in ignorance. So it's not that. The second is the fact that William gets out of there alive. That's positive. But I've had enough of that, too. all the seriousness and everything. It's humor for me. Peter completely steals the entire show and should've won an Oscar. But there are so many such cases, it's easier to mention when the academy got it right. Very rarely.

Like in the beginning when he talks to William in a bar

- I'll kill myself.
- Will you cut it out already!
- Maybe i should do it on air.

That's so insane, hell it even reminds me of something John would do.

My favorite scene is with Ned. When he gives that insane speech across the table, and Peter goes again:

- Why me?
- Because you're on television, dummie!

:rofl:

I love Dangal Ft. Aamir Khan highest gross film of Bollywood. Most inspiration story ever.

Why do so many people compare Baby Driver with Drive? They are very different films.

The styles are very different indeed. However the plot is very not different.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Why do so many people compare Baby Driver with Drive? They are very different films.

I started to reply to this, but now 5 paragraphs in I think I may wait to refine that one a bit! I'll leave my first initial response though.

Please know that I did not enjoy Baby Driver. So much so that I'm borderline offended by it. Yeah, I'm not sure I can explain that one so easy.

I referenced Drive in my comments not for tone, but because it is a recent, approachable story for comparison of boy drives car for bad guys, boy falls for girl, girl is endangered because of boy's associations, then boy redeems self. All while being more successful at the game (my opinion, of course). Baby Driver is quite literally a baby brother version of this arc. With less tension. With more goof. Whether that was intended or not is beyond me. I have to assume so, based on the director's style in other movies, but it just felt so flat. Especially when compared to past movies.

What We Do in The Shadows (2014) - Definitely one of the better comedy horrors. Shot in mockumentary style, it is very funny at times.

Bought my bf a Tshirt with an obscure reference to this movie on it...he wears it on tour and nobody's twigged where it's from yet!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Years. Like since the last Potter. I see it three ways: you have showing of the brutal machinery that, in this case, TV networks are, but that's just almost random,everything's a brutal machinery. With Faye being the devil (a thing she has a thing for, I've rarely seen her otherwise, or at least not disturbed) and robert her assistant. I don't get it why people love movies who picture an evil. To show you it's evil? If you already know that, you don't like to be reminded of it, right? If you don't, at least for myself, I'd rather remain in ignorance. So it's not that. The second is the fact that William gets out of there alive. That's positive. But I've had enough of that, too. all the seriousness and everything. It's humor for me. Peter completely steals the entire show and should've won an Oscar. But there are so many such cases, it's easier to mention when the academy got it right. Very rarely.

Like in the beginning when he talks to William in a bar

- I'll kill myself.
- Will you cut it out already!
- Maybe i should do it on air.

That's so insane, hell it even reminds me of something John would do.

My favorite scene is with Ned. When he gives that insane speech across the table, and Peter goes again:

- Why me?
- Because you're on television, dummie!

:rofl:
This is one of my favorite movies.. It's cool how each person can have their own interpretation... I see the movie trying to show how much of an influence mass media has. And people like Howard Beale (or the current media) have a "personality" and they fall for the myth, too.

The short speech by Ned Beatty says it all. If there is a devil, it's him, or maybe it's the dollars, shekels, IBM, etc....

Even though the news division started to make money, he "meddled with the forces of nature" (market system) and "God" made sure he changed his personality to a cynic -- loss of hope and purpose is easy to control.

Fay Dunaway is the loser, has always been... She grew up on Bugs Bunny.. As Holden tells her "TV is all you know" -- and then tells her (about leaving her) "Back in my day we called it SIMPLE HUMAN DECENCY".

The rest are cogs in a wheel... but notice they don't enjoy anything. Many of the characters are old but have led nothing but empty lives, and just focus on what they talk about, even in their spare times.... (Talking about ratings while having sex... not achieving climax until she imagines an amazing number of viewers).

And for a 20-share, they'd kill ANYONE on live TV...

This is one of my favorite movies.. It's cool how each person can have their own interpretation... I see the movie trying to show how much of an influence mass media has. And people like Howard Beale (or the current media) have a "personality" and they fall for the myth, too.

The short speech by Ned Beatty says it all. If there is a devil, it's him, or maybe it's the dollars, shekels, IBM, etc....

Even though the news division started to make money, he "meddled with the forces of nature" (market system) and "God" made sure he changed his personality to a cynic -- loss of hope and purpose is easy to control.

Fay Dunaway is the loser, has always been... She grew up on Bugs Bunny.. As Holden tells her "TV is all you know" -- and then tells her (about leaving her) "Back in my day we called it SIMPLE HUMAN DECENCY".

The rest are cogs in a wheel... but notice they don't enjoy anything. Many of the characters are old but have led nothing but empty lives, and just focus on what they talk about, even in their spare times.... (Talking about ratings while having sex... not achieving climax until she imagines an amazing number of viewers).

And for a 20-share, they'd kill ANYONE on live TV...
Yeah, I agree.

sorry, but it's been a while (I know it's the last movie I saw, but I saw thousands in between), so i can't remember Ned's speach. I only remember I was laughing my off. Look man, I know life is serious etc., but I've had enough...I'm sort of like Peter. I disagree with Floyd money so they say is the root of all evil today, however. there's worse. Hatred, fear, going against another cause you hate them, not cause youll get a mil if you kill them, or even worse going against yourself.

But you're right, hadn't notice Ned as the evil.

I guess Peter isn't the only one who got killed on live TV because his ratings went down. Did something like this actually happen?

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Completely agree with You. The first scene (when the coffin is opening) knoked me down