Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Needed something a little lighter with which to end the day...

Nanjing! Nanjing! [City Of Life And Death] (2009)

My Name Is Lenny

The story of one of Britain's most notorious bare-knuckle fighters, Lenny McLean, also known as "the Guv'nor" The trailer didn't excite me much but was completely blown away by how good it was, the performance of Josh Helman as Lenny was superb and John Hurt in his final film role was amazing

Edgar Wright Baby Driver (2017)

**** yeah, Edgar Wright! Okay. I don't feel like saying a lot, because mostly people should just watch it. Pay for a ticket. Go watch it. Support good original films. There really should be more films like this one, not necessarily in style, but in approach. Original and exciting films gives you something special. It just does. Even if it sucks. I may even dare say I'd rather see a bad original film that unfortunately missed its mark than another solid Marvel flick. When you aim for originality and the unsafe area of filmmaking, you may fail, but trust me all creative directors out there, we still love you. We still won.

Edgar Wright's Baby Driver is not a bad film. Let's make that clear for starters. But should I find some flaws, it's not quite as tightly constructed, written and edited as the best work from this man. Wright usually has a constant tempo to his films, going from action to dialogue scenes. This movie feels more like in the vein of more mainstream films the way that it is constructed, plot-wise, but in Edgar Wright's hands it definitely doesn't turn to actual mainstream. Edgar's script is not as tight and ready to pop like a spring, but maybe that's because it's his first solo effort. Or maybe he just wanted it that way.

There is a little wobbly middle piece in this film, but OH MY GOD can I forgive it for that when we get to a riveting build into a finale that knock your socks off leaving you wanting more. Because yes, I actually wanted like 90% of this movie to be the "visuals go with music" type deal. But when we did get that, UUUUH did we GET THAT. But I would have loved to see this movie flow better and smoother than it did, yet I can only say that the overall theatre experience I had is the kind us cinema lovers hunger for. When it really rolled, IT WAS A BLAST.

Go see it. Support original films. Thank you Edgar Wright.

I enjoyed "Nerve", I have seen worse so got to agree with your rating.

Wonder Woman,
I was really expecting a lot more considering last few D.C. movies.
6/10

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched Wonder Woman, it was alright. It will be one of the first YouTube reviews I do, so I won't elaborate just yet.

I also watched John Dies at the End. Confusing film, but it had some moments I enjoyed. I also felt like I didn't give it my full attention because I with friends.

I also watched John Dies at the End. Confusing film, but it had some moments I enjoyed. I also felt like I didn't give it my full attention because I with friends.

I liked that one quite a bit, I remember!

Welcome to the human race...
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life -

so they're rebooting this, huh

“I was cured, all right!”

I cried!
No matter what is the next project of Bong Joon-Hoo, I will be there! Okja just proved to me that he is one of the best directors in business today! An enviable filmography! The Host, Memories of Murder, Mother...
I am totally against the meat industry, I will never understand how so many people can eat 'corpses' of living beings that have been brutalized to satisfy a simple ego.
Some friends who watched the film were unanimous about the feeling of guilt after the film ended, but I believe that the reappraisal of their rotten habits of eating lives should not even be in their minds, unfortunately humanity is a lost case. That must be why I like so much to see violence and satisfy myself through the suffering of others, as long as it is fictitious of course, yet it only proves that we are all rotten.
I applaud the courage to expose this industry of egos which is the agricultural industry.
If you remember well, I live in Brazil, here is the largest forest in the world, which is incredibly destroyed every day by the meat industry. In fact, agriculture is the main cause of several of today's ecological problems.
But everyone is blinded by the taste of a fallen corpse... A corpse of a living being!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Baby Driver

(Edgar Wright)

Baby Driver falls perfectly in line with Wright's previous films in style, but offers a bit more in dramatic tone and a little less in comedy. The film still has plenty of funny moments, but it depicts a slight change in direction for him and one that hopefully opens more doors for original films.

Baby, that's B-A-B-Y, is the getaway driver for a wealthy criminal, Doc, who plots out the heists and never uses the same crew twice. Baby insists he is done after one last job, but Doc is willing to threaten the lives of the people Baby loves, including his new waitress girlfriend Debora, if he doesn't pull one more stunt.

Going into a Wright film, you have a sense of what to expect. Hot Fuzz was a parody of action films to the point where a simple moment of putting on your jacket was made to look like a chaotic action sequence. With Baby Driver, Wright continues this style, but squarely plants the film itself into that world that Hot Fuzz was parodying. This is done with self awareness though, and never becomes a problem. Instead, it highlights the originality of the film and the world Wright has created. It's a heightened reality and music plays an important role in it. To the point where it feels more like a love letter to music than heist films. This is even more apparent when you realize that we never really get to see the heists. We stay with Baby in the car and subvert those expectations. We are with Baby and his music the whole way.

As I said earlier, music is important to this film and ever aspect of it revolves around that. Camera work, action sequences, character movements, dialogue, plot devices, the list goes on. For something that important, the music should be good. Wright manages to explore enough genres to please most people and I found myself really digging the playlists. Music is Baby's world and we live in it for 2 hours almost non-stop. To the point where when there is no music playing, it feels out of place. I fully expect people to go out and buy the soundtrack and at no point did I feel as if any of it was forced, like Suicide Squad.

I guess you want to know about the car chase sequences, those are thrilling for people looking for excitement. Wright gives us enough unique moments to make those memorable and it's needed because car chases are a staple in Hollywood movies. You want to see something new and Baby Driver delivers enough of a spin to make it seems fresh. The film balances itself out with plenty of small quiet sequences that focus on character. Baby's dedication to take care of his aging foster father is touching. They communicate through sign language, which adds another layer to the complicated character that is Baby. Then we have some tender moments with Baby and Debora. A love at first sight relationship that blooms due to charm, appreciation of music and the aspirations to just be on the open road.

Baby Driver is stylish and charges to you at full speed. With the camera almost constantly moving, it never feels slow, even in those quiet moments. The cast nail their roles with just a hint of self awareness. Spacey can be intimidating in his sleep and Foxx has no problem playing someone with a few screw lose moments. At the very least, when you walk away from this movie you can say that you had a fun time, this movie has plenty of those moments to make it great.

Suspect's Reviews

Hope to see this on your 40's list Chyp!
You never know - might make it my one-pointer

Unregistered User

Raw (2016)

Slightly disappointed in this but that's probably more to do with my own expectations. It was good. Certainly not as disturbing or gruesome that I had expected and I had a few issues with the plot but its a decent effort. There's plenty of other French horrors that you will go to first but its ok for a rainy day.

Raw (2016)

Slightly disappointed in this but that's probably more to do with my own expectations. It was good. Certainly not as disturbing or gruesome that I had expected and I had a few issues with the plot but its a decent effort. There's plenty of other French horrors that you will go to first but its ok for a rainy day.

I found that it was just too one dimensional.

WARNING: "Raw" spoilers below
Once we realise that this is all just an allegory / symbol for the pressures of society - we know that it's not really real. So there's nowhere else for it to go really.

That's what was so amazing about Neon Demon - in that there are loads of things that keep you guessing and thinking long after the film has finished. This was just straight up linear horror story masquerading as a metaphor for complying with social norms.

That said it was still way better than alot of other films released this year.