Films that were 'Ordeals'

Tools    

Have you ever had that made you feel dirty? Like so dirty you wanted to take a shower? Anything from making you feel depressed, distressed, disturbed, or making you feel empty? I talking Rough and Dirty Pieces of Cinema, not violence and shock value films, (although I believe 'Salo' might be one the only exceptions.) This might be my favorite genre. Films that effect you emotionally through the hollow aura the film projects.
(NOTE; I recommend not to rely so much on films that distributed you with violence, although that is 100% okay to put in the reply section )

My Selections (ESPECIALLY THAT LAST ONE)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Yes requiem for a dream made me feel sick and I can't fathom a rewatch nor did I particularly like it. Not so much an "ordeal" in the negative sense but the Pianist was something that affected me emotionally and I believe will stay with me for life. That of course is rewatchable unlike the former.

I'll second The Pianist...one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. And despite a superb performance from Daniel Day Lewis, "ordeal" perfectly describes how I felt about There Will be Blood...getting through that film was physically exhausting and emotionally draining. I would also include The Passion of the Christ here, which was at the top of my most disturbing movies list.

This might just do nobody any good.
I watched Hunger (Bobby Sands movie) last night.

It'll be a few years before decide to watch Hunger again.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Passion of the Christ here, which was at the top of my most disturbing movies list.
Yes to that.

Snowtown
A Siberian Film
Human caterpillar 1 and 2 (didnt bother with 3)
Martyrs
Eden Lake
Snuff 102

That'll do. Need a shower now just remembering those.

This might just do nobody any good.
I watched Hunger (Bobby Sands movie) last night.

It'll be a few years before decide to watch Hunger again.
Actually, I'll put all of Steve McQueen's films on here. He really knows how to grip that audience with the visceral way he explores the relationship between mind and body.

I wonder how this predilection will translate into his next movie, Widows.

Yes requiem for a dream made me feel sick and I can't fathom a rewatch nor did I particularly like it. Not so much an "ordeal" in the negative sense but the Pianist was something that affected me emotionally and I believe will stay with me for life. That of course is rewatchable unlike the former.
Requiem For A Dream made me feel sick but that why I love it so such. The Pianist got a bit repetitive after the first half (Can you fault a movie on having a bad plot if it's based on a true story?) and wasn't nearly as emotional.

As many users mentioned previously, The Pianist was also a pretty tough ordeal to me. But I must admit The Revenant also and maybe even 2001: A Space Odyssey, mainly due to the tremendous amount of staff concerning around our existence and eternity Kubrick wants to burden on the viewers.

From a woman's POV ...

From a woman's POV ...

Irreversible was definitely more of an ordeal than Straw Dogs (both good ordeals btw). Irreversibles infamous scene is a 7 minute long take where the camera doesn't move at all, while in Straw Dogs it's shorter, uses many different camera angles and isn't a long take. Also in the Straw Dogs one there isn't as much screaming and there isn't quite a feeling of helplessness. Pretty much any movie that's an ordeal is gonna make it into my favourites "Funny Games, Requiem for a Dream, Irreversible".

You can't win an argument just by being right!
From a woman's POV ...

Irreversible was definitely more of an ordeal than Straw Dogs (both good ordeals btw). Irreversibles infamous scene is a 7 minute long take where the camera doesn't move at all, while in Straw Dogs it's shorter, uses many different camera angles and isn't a long take. Also in the Straw Dogs one there isn't as much screaming and there isn't quite a feeling of helplessness. Pretty much any movie that's an ordeal is gonna make it into my favourites "Funny Games, Requiem for a Dream, Irreversible".
Irreversible I had to walk out. Didn't make it tovthe 7 minute scene but I know what that is. Funny games didn't bother me.

I talking Rough and Dirty Pieces of Cinema, not violence and shock value films, (although I believe 'Salo' might be one the only exceptions.)
I'll never understand why people find Salo shocking. The only thing that shocked me about it was how boring the damn thing was, especially considering its reputation.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Requiem For A Dream made me feel sick but that why I love it so such. The Pianist got a bit repetitive after the first half (Can you fault a movie on having a bad plot if it's based on a true story?) and wasn't nearly as emotional.
Yea I reckon you can fault a movies plot, even if its based on a true story. I really think theres more to a film that just plot. Saying that though, I personally couldn't fault the plot of The Pianist and its probably the most evocatively emotional film I've seen.

Welcome to the human race...
A few that haven't been mentioned...

Hard to Be a God
Visitor Q
Enter the Void

Yea I reckon you can fault a movies plot, even if its based on a true story. I really think theres more to a film that just plot. Saying that though, I personally couldn't fault the plot of The Pianist and its probably the most evocatively emotional film I've seen.
The point from when
WARNING: ""The Pianist" spoilers below
Szpilman's Family is taken on the train, towards the aftermath when Szpilman is walking among the ruins of Warsaw, Crying contentiously. It's like someone stabbed him in the heart, and they let it bleed for an eternity. His family is gone, forever, and he's destroyed by it. He's lost everything.

That entire sequence broke me

“I was cured, all right!”
A few that haven't been mentioned...

Visitor Q
YES!

Also:

Both are disgusting as hell!

This one is so depressing that I will never recover ... = [

Oh man...