Is there any DVD or blu ray releases of the original Star Wars?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
What I mean is, is their any releases out there, without all the newer CGI effects that were added in later on, and just the originals only?

What I mean is, is their any releases out there, without all the newer CGI effects that were added in later on, and just the originals only?
Like this one, do you mean?

https://www.secondspin.com/s/product...Q#.WVQ4arEpCf0

There's been 2 or 3 "original" releases... however, they aren't original.
They still have a few differences and changes that have been over looked.
It's as though they have taken the edited versions, as in the ones with all the CGI crap and edited dialogue, and they tried to edit them all back and did it by memory.

Sadly, the best, and only, way to get proper original copies of the movies, is on VHS.

So basically, they have "kind of" released the originals on DVD and BluRay, is the only answer to this.

Okay thanks. What do you mean they edited it all by memory? Couldn't they just take the original print, before the CGI was put it, and master that to the blu ray?

Okay thanks. What do you mean they edited it all by memory? Couldn't they just take the original print, before the CGI was put it, and master that to the blu ray?

Well, it's strange... the "original releases" they have done... are all different.
It seems as though George or whoever hasn't leant the proper print out to the manufacturers.
It's as though the people in charge of making these "original" releases are having to use edited versions and simply relying on memory as to how they actually were.

I've seen 3 different "original" releases, in which Aunt Beru's voice is different in each of them... and none of them were exactly the same as the proper original VHS version I own.

Basically, the theatrical versions of the original trilogy... are either on late 1970s and early 1980s releases of VHS and Betamax... which are super-rare... or they're hidden in the depths of George Lucas' basement.

You cannot get a proper original on DVD or BluRay.
You can get something that resembles the originals on DVD and BluRay, but not the full on actual originals.

I fact... checking sources... Star Wars (1977) underwent changes between the cinematic run and the VHS/Betamax release.

Star Wars (1977) as seen in theatres, was edited 33 times before it was released on home cinema.

So basically the full proper theatrical proper actual original proper version of Star Wars, has never been released on home cinema.

Oh okay. Well VHS and betamax aside, what is the closest to the original you can get on DVD or blu ray?

Oh okay. Well VHS and betamax aside, what is the closest to the original you can get on DVD or blu ray?
Did you look at the link I gave you?

Yep thanks, I was just making sure . It didn't say anything about that on the features or anything. I will check those out.

What about the original Phantom Menace? In the original, they have a the puppet yoda, and later it was switched to a CGI yoda. But is there any DVD or blu ray version with the original puppet yoda?

Yep thanks, I was just making sure . It didn't say anything about that on the features or anything. I will check those out.

What about the original Phantom Menace? In the original, they have a the puppet yoda, and later it was switched to a CGI yoda. But is there any DVD or blu ray version with the original puppet yoda?

Again, all newerish releases after 2011 will have a CG Yoda.
My DVD has the puppet, but it is from 1999-2000.
You'll need to get hold of a secondhand copy dated before 2011, for the puppet version.

A system of cells interlinked
Again, all newerish releases after 2011 will have a CG Yoda.
My DVD has the puppet, but it is from 1999-2000.
You'll need to get hold of a secondhand copy dated before 2011, for the puppet version.
Perhaps you can find two copies of Phantom Menace. Then, you can put a stick through the center and use them to dispense toilet paper! That is definitely the best use of any and all copies of that turd of a film!

Then Phantom Menace can help clean up after Phantom Enchiladas!

Okay thanks. Guess I will have to live with the closely edited ones then. Too bad Lucas felt me had to change them all.

Which do you feel are the best. The edited ones from memory, or the ones with the new CGI effects?