The Twin Peaks Thread

Tools    

Unregistered User
I've been wanting to write a longer post about this season, but I just cannot get myself to do so. I'm afraid it's more bad than good. I just don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the fact that there are not that many new posts in this thread makes me feel I am not the only one that is somewhat dissapointed.
I am still hopeful and all but there are just so many things that are vastly different from the original that I am not sure how to take it all.

I'm with ya. Was a big fan of first 2 seasons and was so excited for this and its been a real let down. I've only watched first 3 episodes but its been a real struggle.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Epidode 8 has to be the best "weird" episode of any "Twin Peaks", any "weird TV show" or any weird Lynch movie.

Epidode 8 has to be the best "weird" episode of any "Twin Peaks", any "weird TV show" or any weird Lynch movie.
Apart from maybe The Elephant Man, I think it might be my favorite thing Lynch has directed.

Episode 8 was beautifully weird. Big bang black lodge theory.

Apart from maybe The Elephant Man, I think it might be my favorite thing Lynch has directed.
I don't consider The Elephant Man weird for Lynch though, so yeah, I think that's better, not to take away from last night.

My reaction after last night's episode was like this:

Still, on some level I did enjoy it. All those hobo spirits or whatever they were, bouncing around, and the main one asking for "a light" over and over.

Does anyone want to talk about what they think is going on or do you all consider that a dangerous move, given the type of filmmaker Lynch is? By that I mean, he can leave you hanging without even a scintilla of an explanation of what you just saw. But I just had a feeling that we were actually being let in on something last night, like perhaps,
WARNING: spoilers below
those creatures/hobos were born of the atom bomb, and perhaps even Bob was. Was that his face we saw when the hobos were reviving the bad Cooper? It went by so fast and was so dark on my screen that I couldn't make out the face on "Cooper's" chest that was smiling at Ray.

But the thing that irritates me about the show is, within a certain episode (like last night's) you have endless scenes of monotony. Like the "Woodsman" speaking that junk into the radio microphone. That went on forever. At least it was broken up a little with the diner lady fainting and the
bug with human legs crawling in that girl's mouth.

And the scene where the
Giant floats the golden ball out of his head and it has Laura Palmer's image in it. Then the lady kisses it. Then it goes back to the Giant and he sends it seemingly to Twin Peaks to wait to be born as Laura.
Because I had recorded it, I sped through the Giant walking slowwwww through the "theater" and then the lady deciding slowly to walk across the theater. Zip, zip, zip. Couldn't go fast enough.

And is Cooper
split into three different people? I mean, it's fairly obvious that the one from prison is Bob having taken on Cooper's visage. Then there's the dumb/genius Cooper who is staggering around Business Land and having taken over for Janey-E-Jones' (Naomi Watts) husband. As for her husband, so that's the deal then? There was a double for Cooper living in the world (they do say everyone has an exact double in the world), and Bob has just supernaturally taken on the real Cooper's form also?
I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks, if they think anything, or they're just going with it, or if they're afraid to guess lest we get left in the dark by the end of the show?

This might just do nobody any good.
a theory on the bomb is...

that it represents the height of humanity's destructive power. This caused a kind of disturbance/disbalance that gave way for BOB to be "born".

By the way, Gordon Cole has big f'n picture of it behind his desk.

Hmmm...

Also the girl...

seems to be a young Log Lady. Coupled with Laura's seeming pre-determined fate I wonder how many fans will go up in arms about these connection. I've read comments from people who would rather these characters remain "normal" and not have Lynch "prequel" the crap out of everything.

I'm totally fine with it, though. As I said, I'm watching this mostly out of ironic enjoyment. I love Lynch's imagination run amok. I think one has to appreciate that someone so esoteric has been given this kind of freedom.

If it's his absolute artistic expression I think most of us should count it as a victory.

That said, I'll be damned if I know what the hell the cigarette guy meant by those statements.

Now on to the big question: what new phrase will Dougie learn next week?

Dougie! That's the name of Janey-E-Jones' husband's name. I'd totally forgotten it. But it's
Cooper as Dougie, right? And we saw Dougie stuck in the Black Lodge, when the um, one-armed man whose name I forget said that they were tricked by Bob.

Yeah, I really enjoy Dougie doing seemingly stupid things that turn out to have deeper meaning to his cohorts, like the scribbling that meant something to his boss, and saying something that seems to incriminate his co-worker, Anthony (Tom Sizemore). My favorite part was when he first discovered coffee at the office and took that one man's coffee. Then Janey-E gave him that scalding cup. Of all the things that would register with him, I was delighted that it was coffee (or "dame fine coffee!" ). And winning all that money, seemingly for no reason, but it got his family out of trouble. By the way, I'm loving Naomi Watts. I love her anyway, but I think she's doing a fine job as the befuddled but protective wife. Also love Laura Dern as Diane, whom Cooper constantly talked to on his recorder in the first series, Jane Adams as the mortician, and Robert Forster as the new Sheriff Truman. Love Forster in just about anything. Those things really are making me stick with the show.

And Saunch, thanks for those Spoiler theories. It's interesting that you
spelled Bob as BOB. I didn't realize the show did that. When you put it up against "bomb" it makes me think that you only have to add an "M" to BOB and you get "BOMB." So him being born of that destructive force makes sense. And him being hard to defeat makes sense also. I never would have thought in a million years of the young lady being the Log Lady. Very interesting.

Yes, doing a prequel of everyone would kind of ruin Lynch's whole style, I guess, but hey, they have to come from somewhere and it would make better sense of Twin Peaks being this hotbed of the supernatural.

I'm not hiding this - I thought that was a young log lady too when I first saw her because of the way she held her arms - like she was holding the log even though she wasn't holding anything. What she would be doing there though I don't know.

My reaction after last night's episode was like this:
Still, on some level I did enjoy it. All those hobo spirits or whatever they were, bouncing around, and the main one asking for "a light" over and over.

Does anyone want to talk about what they think is going on or do you all consider that a dangerous move, given the type of filmmaker Lynch is? By that I mean, he can leave you hanging without even a scintilla of an explanation of what you just saw. But I just had a feeling that we were actually being let in on something last night, like perhaps,
those creatures/hobos were born of the atom bomb, and perhaps even Bob was. Was that his face we saw when the hobos were reviving the bad Cooper? It went by so fast and was so dark on my screen that I couldn't make out the face on "Cooper's" chest that was smiling at Ray.
WARNING: "BOB" spoilers below
Pretty sure it was Bob's face. I think the hobos were extracting Bob from evil Coop. Now I think evil coop is on his own, and Bob is once again free to posses (I'm guessing).

But the thing that irritates me about the show is, within a certain episode (like last night's) you have endless scenes of monotony. Like the "Woodsman" speaking that junk into the radio microphone. That went on forever. At least it was broken up a little with the diner lady fainting and the
bug with human legs crawling in that girl's mouth.
That's understandable. I'd expect most others to feel the way you do, but I love breathing room in movies. I'd be super disappointed if this new black lodge 'universe' was glossed over with quicker cuts. I like using the analogy of looking at a painting. If it's beautiful, thought-provoking, or whatever, I'd like to study it. Sometimes directors can go overboard with it (Bela Tarr), but I'd rather that be the case than have someone rush through something that I'm really interested in.

And the scene where the
Giant floats the golden ball out of his head and it has Laura Palmer's image in it. Then the lady kisses it. Then it goes back to the Giant and he sends it seemingly to Twin Peaks to wait to be born as Laura.
Because I had recorded it, I sped through the Giant walking slowwwww through the "theater" and then the lady deciding slowly to walk across the theater. Zip, zip, zip. Couldn't go fast enough.

That was my favorite part.

And is Cooper
split into three different people? I mean, it's fairly obvious that the one from prison is Bob having taken on Cooper's visage. Then there's the dumb/genius Cooper who is staggering around Business Land and having taken over for Janey-E-Jones' (Naomi Watts) husband. As for her husband, so that's the deal then? There was a double for Cooper living in the world (they do say everyone has an exact double in the world), and Bob has just supernaturally taken on the real Cooper's form also?
I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks, if they think anything, or they're just going with it, or if they're afraid to guess lest we get left in the dark by the end of the show?
WARNING: "Coop" spoilers below
Coop was three people. Good, bad, and Dougie (who was presumably created by bad Coop as a diversion). But now, Dougie is gone (the fat one). The one that everyone thinks is Dougie now is actually the real Agent Cooper. Remember, he came out of the black lodge via light socket, lost his shoes, and took Dougie's place. Poor Dougie's soul was consequently barfed out by evil coop while he was driving.

Convoluted and random, but there does seem to be a crazy logic to it. I'm also interested in
WARNING: "..." spoilers below
the orb. I'm thinking that Laura Palmer's spirit was sent down to Earth in the B&W footage, hatched as the frog fly thing, and went to posses that girl. I'm really standing on a limb with that one though.

That was my favorite part.
Sorry, re93animator! I guess I shouldn't watch the show really late at night. By the time I watch it, it's in the wee hours and I'm thinking of bed, so the slowness just irritates me. But, there were some beautiful visuals to that section of the show.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and theories. It really helps me out.

How about the whole Nine Inch Nails performance? I mean, I am somewhat of a fan, but was it really necessary to include the whole thing? In a middle of the episode no less?

This might just do nobody any good.
Rosenfield and Jane Adams are the couple we don't deserve.

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
I seem to be in a bit of a minority that has absolutely loved this season so far. Lynch has always been a major inspiration for my own work and I love his more abstract and out there concepts. This season feels much more like FWWM than the original TV series...but I think that that works really well in branching the characters out and taking the plot lines and ideologies into new and interesting places. The peak of this season so far for me has to be episode 8 which I not only consider to be one of Lynchs finest works but I think it was genuinely a revolutionary piece of film that probably wont get the recognition it deserves for a good few years yet. Tonights episode was quite fun though I really wish depending how this pans out I legitimately think this could be my favourite thing Lynch has ever done. Maybe just tied with Blue Velvet...I honestly cant wait for next week

Sadly, the revival has left me profoundly dissapointed so far. It just sucks to see how indifferent I feel towards the new episodes, considering how much I was looking forward to them. Hopefully, I will like the second half more.

Only seen up to Episode 8 but yeah i've loved this so far. The first two episodes were hit and miss i thought until the crazy first half of episode 3 then Mr.Jackpots in the second half, it has been hitting it out the park for me since then. It has really had everything, it's been consistently funny: i've loved all of the Dougie stuff, creepy, tense, weird, etc, etc. You can see little bits of most of his films in the show. And yeah Episode 8 was great, really made me want to see Inland Empire again.

I'll comment more and read your comments when i've caught up.

I'm with ya. Was a big fan of first 2 seasons and was so excited for this and its been a real let down. I've only watched first 3 episodes but its been a real struggle.
Is how weird Episode 3 was a problem? For the record Episodes 4-7 are pretty normal; normal for Lynch at least. There's a lot of humour in them and it cuts down on the surrealism somewhat before jumping both feet into crazy town in Episode 8. Think 4-7 might help get you in the right mood for it so i wouldn't give up yet.

Going to try and see Episode 9 tonight.

Man who else completely died at the Michael Cera scene? That's the most i've laughed at a show/movie all year i think.

Also Amanda Seyfrieds coked up eyeballs close up

The new characters have all been so good