More EU Madness!

Tools    

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it is incorrect. It is the countries with high level of immigration to the US that have a more difficult time. EU countries are actually the ones with quite low levels of immigration to the US so the wait of their people applying to get here is quite a bit shorter than some other ones such as Mexico, China, the Philippines, and India. Married children of U.S. citizens from Mexico must wait more than 20 years for a visa to become available, and Filipino siblings of U.S. citizens currently wait about 25 years.

Is the process hard? Yes, it is hard for everyone, but if you are basing your opinion of how hard to get to the US on the wait times, it is a lot harder for the countries mentioned above than any EU country.
Actually, I'm basing my information on what my family member was told when said family member gave up on trying to get a green card after about an year and a half of trying through legal means and with legal help. Whether that information is wrong or right, I have no ideia.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Is the process hard? Yes, it is hard for everyone, but if you are basing your opinion of how hard to get to the US on the wait times, it is a lot harder for the countries mentioned above than any EU country.

Members of my family have green cards. They didnt find it hard at all.

Actually, I'm basing my information on what my family member was told when said family member gave up on trying to get a green card after about an year and a half of trying through legal means and with legal help. Whether that information is wrong or right, I have no ideia.
Who told her/him that?

In any case, saying it is hard is one thing. I would absolutely agree with that. Saying it is harder for the EU petitioners than others is another thing and something that is just not correct.

Members of my family have green cards. They didnt find it hard at all.
Did they get it through employment or marriage or something else?
There are quite a few ways to get it:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard

The marriage path seems the easiest and the shortest. The job category is a different story.

Did they get it through employment or marriage or something else?
There are quite a few ways to get it:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard

The marriage path seems the easiest and the shortest. The job category is a different story.
One got it as a student then got married to a lovely woman. One got it on working grounds along with her boyfriend who is also from here. Another got it to work in hollywood - his partner and kids also got them.

Unless you're a Brit and a member of the Commonwealth, it's also extremely difficult to move to either Australia or NZ

Hang on for a minute, you keep banging on that Australia got immigration right, now you're complaining because your kids can't get a visa? Please make up your mind. They're in Angola now anyway so what exactly are you complaining about?

How so? The point was that this particular Syrian family (refugees or not) is obviously not afraid to travel to Syria. The others that I referred to are supposedly "refugees" who are "afraid for their lives."

Good night.
I've to the conclusion this "refugee" business has become a huge racket possibly involving governments and there is evidence emerging of the Mafia in Italy also being involved. While there are undoubtedly genuine refugees fleeing war, the vast majority now seem to be simply fleeing poverty and see Europe as a soft touch where they've been told they will be provided for and will get everything for free. They are not far wrong in their assessment either. It's worth pondering the presentation this guy gives -- the numbers are truly staggering and will certainly overwhelm our small continent if nothing is done to stop this.

Time for

Thanks, Don. This has been fun.

Who told her/him that?

In any case, saying it is hard is one thing. I would absolutely agree with that. Saying it is harder for the EU petitioners than others is another thing and something that is just not correct.
Perhaps the info he got was wrong then but it was enough then for him to stop trying after 36 months. His lawyers did not give him much hope and I believe his petition was rejected twice. I heard of others who also have huge difficulties in obtaining a green card -- legally that is. Even marriage seems not to be making things any easier as I knew a couple who were married and even after two years (the man was British) he still didn't have resident status. Of course, there are people who are hired by corporations whom seem to have the least problems in obtaining residency. Oh and I also believe there is a scheme whereby if you invest x hundreds of thousands of dollars they will also ease your way in.

Perhaps the info he got was wrong then but it was enough then for him to stop trying after 36 months. His lawyers did not give him much hope and I believe his petition was rejected twice. I heard of others who also have huge difficulties in obtaining a green card .

So you dont want immigrants in your own country but it's OK for people from your country to migrate, take jobs etc that you complain immigrants do, like your kids in Angola? Wow NIMBY much.

Would Europe take an American? Asking for a friend
I think it depends on the country. I don't think there is one uniform policy for all of the EU. Remember that is made up of 27 countries (now the U.K. Is leaving) and then there are countries outside the EU but which are still European. But I believe it is probably easier for Americans to legally emigrate here. Certainly I know Americans who live here and Americans who live in the UK or France.

Since the discussion has largely encompassed the refugee issue, I have a serious question dating back to the Obama Presidency.

A lot of conservative TV and radio stations kept repeating that Obama was attempting to make way for more Muslim refugees from Iraq and Syria to enter the U.S. (we know that is true as it's been a goal and even a campaign promise from the Democrat Party), but these stations would often add on that, at the same time, Obama was blocking Christian refugees from Iraq & Syria from entering the U.S. who were on the run for their lives from ISIS and seeking asylum.

I've searched on line, but have never been able to find any information corroborating this claim or providing a basis for it.

Does anyone have any info on where this claim originated or what it was based on?

Again, the claim was that while Obama was championing bringing more Muslim refugees to the U.S. from Iraq & Syria, he was blocking Christian refugees from those same countries from entering even as they were literally running for their lives.

Since the discussion has largely encompassed the refugee issue, I have a serious question dating back to the Obama Presidency.
I thought it was about suing big pharma for vaccinations...

I thought it was about suing big pharma for vaccinations...
Yeah. Conversations evolve, transmute, change direction, progress, enlarge, expand and go off topic. I'm just glad to see a conversation allowed to continue and to do these things.

P.S. Do you have any info on the question I asked?

Welcome to the human race...
That sounds like an extension of the whole "Obama is a secret Muslim" conspiracy theory. It definitely reads like something you'd make up in order to make Obama look bad to the God-fearing white Christians who would make up a key demographic for conservative media.

Yeah. Conversations evolve, transmute, change direction, progress, enlarge, expand and go off topic. I'm just glad to see a conversation allowed to continue and to do these things.

P.S. Do you have any info on the question I asked?

The convo evolved from the OP. You know it as well as I do. And as you full well know, I'm not american so find your own answers, superman.

The convo evolved from the OP. You know it as well as I do. And as you full well know, I'm not american so find your own answers, superman.
That's okay.
As said, I've looked for an answer, but can't find one. I have a hard time believing multiple different news agencies would just make things up and tell complete lies just to discredit a sitting President.