Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dishonored Lady (1947) - Modest crime drama

Face/Off: 6/10 John Woo's awful camera techniques for more than 130 minutes.
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: 5/10 Hollywood should severely reinvent its action flicks

Se correr o bicho pega. Se ficar o bicho come.
Ikiru (1952)

9/10

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Jeremiah Johnson (1972) 9/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	7180f407f20b748dc6638d7d1b3376e2-jeremiah-johnson.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	31886  

Great. All of the main characters are fun and people you'd like to crack open a cold one with. The 'squeal like a pig' sequence wasn't as disturbing as everyone makes it out to be, but I can't fault that since I've seen my fair share of disturbing movies. The soundtrack was pretty great (How could you NOT tap your foot to the banjo standoff?!). The last image of the film is VERY haunting.

8/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	6295773033_3d807ca82c_b.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	31887  

I might check out Inferno (2016) tonight.

Read the book a couple years back.
Recommend? Yay or Nay?
It's been awhile since I read the book, and my memory was a bit fuzzy, so the movie seemed like images from a lost memory - that's the good part. Most of it seemed like what I remembered from the book.

I don't know if the movie was hard to follow for people who didn't read the book, but I suspect it may have been. That's kind of been an issue for Dan Brown novels made into films - his books are detail-oriented, with one clue leading to the next. With such emphasis on detail and stories laden with details, it's often a strain to fit them into a 2 hour movie.

WARNING: "This rating is entirely based on Spoilers!" spoilers below
But here's the problem - it's the Elephant in the room type problem. Imagine in the Sixth Sense that the big reveal at the end never occurred - the movie would be virtually pointless. That's what they did with Inferno - they literally removed Dan Brown's ending which was the whole dynamic culmination of the book. What was remarkable about the book's ending is that it breaks with formula - the good guys lose! And what the "bad guy" wanted to do (and ended up achieving) didn't involve killing anyone, but solving the extremely scary and extremely real problem of geometrically increasing overpopulation. Ultimately, the bad guy is actually a hero and a savior of mankind while the usual hero is just a misguided dupe. By deleting the actual ending, the movie turns the story into a typical "mad man who's threatening mass murder and whose plan is stopped at the last minute by the heroes" fluff piece. Without the book's ending it's a long, tired, overdone scenario that we've seen a million times. The movie is entirely predictable with the only unpredictability coming for readers of the book who are left dumbfounded to find the only surprising part of the tale is omitted! Plus, the movie never addresses the true threat of overpopulation presented by the bad guy.

Welcome to the human race...
The Mummy (2017) -

This might be the most orange-and-teal movie I've ever seen.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Don't Think Twice

(Mike Birbiglia)

It was about 20 minutes into this film that I realized that I couldn't possibly be friends with any of these people. The constant need to be 'on' is what annoyed me. None of these people felt real for the first half of the film. Always trying to be funny, or one up each other to the point where you no longer have a personality makes me want to vomit. It didn't help that every single person in this comedy group suffered from this, making me struggle with the first act.

The Commune is an improve group in New York, created by improv teacher Miles, played by the writer, director and producer, Birbiglia. The group also consists of Gillian Jacobs, Keegan-Michael Key, Kate Micucci, Chris Gethard and Tami Sagher. One night a producer from Weekend Live (an SNL type show) shows up and asks for Jacobs and Key to audition for their show. Key snags the coveted spot and creates awkward tension with the group. How do comedians react when someone they know and might even think is less funny than them, gets the spotlight?

The relatable thing about this film is that we've all been in a situation where someone we know gets a little bit more recognition than ourselves and we think, do they really deserve that over me? Sure we could be happy for them, but there is that one small voice crying out asking why them? That's the core element to this film, which otherwise wanders aimlessly around in no plot or direction.

With the exception of Chris Gethard and Tami Sagher, I was familiar with all these people and find them funny. The improv scenes are comical and some people are given small moments to shine, but as a whole this film is more dramatic. I wish they had given everyone in the group more of a personality. Kate Micucci has zero character traits other than she draws. Tami Sagher is in the same boat, she gets high all the time and has rich parents. The film seems to focus mainly on Jacobs, and her insecurities, Key and his showboating and Birbiglia and his jealousy. The others are given one specific trait and Birbiglia expects that to be enough for their character. Gethard's father is hit by a truck, ends up in a hospital....that's his character trait. Had the film spread the screen time evenly around, it would have been a more well-rounded film with engaging conflicted characters.

It seems as if Birbiglia has made a film for other comedians to nod their heads at in acknowledgement of "I've been there" and leaves the audience out in the cold. His first film, Sleepwalk with Me, had similar vibes. Don't Think Twice offers insight into a comedians mind, which is never as funny as you would imagine.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User

The Raid 2 (2014)

I slightly enjoyed the first more in terms of plot but this beats it hands down for action! Some of the fight scenes were just incredible.

+

“I was cured, all right!”

The Raid 2 (2014)

I slightly enjoyed the first more in terms of plot but this beats it hands down for action! Some of the fight scenes were just incredible.

+

“I was cured, all right!”
The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)

Holy s**t
3h 28min of pure brilliantly told and filmed epic that tells of a man trying to cling to his humanity in inhuman circumstances.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (1972)

The best in the series so far.

I really love this film!