Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

movies can be okay...
Kidnapped (2010) -

I've seen this film pop up quite a few times in this forum so I decided to watch it, why not right ? Welp, even though I don't feel like I wasted my time, I still didn't do anything worth a mention with it either.

'Kidnapped' is literally a carbon copy of other home invasion horror films, it goes through the same steps and the same formula anyone could expect from the genre, and even when the film-makers try to add a new spin presentation wise, it doesn't work, instead, it just looks distracting. Oh, and did I mention that the movie has a soundtrack ? Well it's annoying and unfitting...to be fair, I do think that there was one instance where it did compliment the happenings very well, but that was still short lived. A good thing about the film though is that it is shorter than the usual, therefore, we as an audience are exposed to a lesser extent of the usual expected idiocy.

Contrary to what you might think, I did really enjoy this for what it was, it may be so stupidly irritating at times, but it never reaches the point where it becomes insulting, the acting is actually above average from the most part (except for the daughter who made me contemplate stabbing my ears), and the action although predictable, is at least entertaining.

5/10
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Unregistered User

Lore (2012)

Despite the bleak subject matter, this films really is strikingly beautiful. Some of the scenery really is stunning. Although all the actors put in a great shift, its the lead, Saskia Rosendahl who stands out here with an outstanding performance. Definitely one I would recommend.

Friday The 13th: A New Beginning

They really ****ed up in this sequel by introducing another killer, a Jason wannabe and so the majority of kills in the movie are done in such a way that you don't know who the killer is... you see some feet, a raised weapon, a kill and then a door closes....it felt at times I was watching Murder, She Wrote not a Friday The 13th movie!

The main character is an emotionally damaged kid (I think he had some previous encounter with Jason) who hardly ever talks and is angry... the problem is he is completely unlikable and looks about 40..

It was saved by some 80's campness and music, in that sense it felt perfectly retro and comforting.. I just thought Jason Takes Manhattan was such a better film

Logan (2017)

[b]Friday The 13th: A New Beginning
To this day the only Friday film I haven't seen. It simply turns me off on the whole concept alone.

But I guess I gotta get around to it some day so I can complete my watchings...

Saboteur (1942) - Mixed espionage thriller not up to his usual high standard

To this day the only Friday film I haven't seen. It simply turns me off on the whole concept alone.

But I guess I gotta get around to it some day so I can complete my watchings...
I doubt I will ever complete my watchings, I have only seen Jason X and Jason Takes Manhattan, I have no sense of time in this universe but at least those two films were fun, A New Beginning just... wasn't.

Magnolia (1999) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Titan A.E. (2000)

Somewhere between a
and a
. It's not bad, but even my eight year old found it derivative. OK, he didn't actually use that word, but he did say Star Wars should sue them.

Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Well, this was as expected I guess... no more, no less. On a positive note, the cinematography is interesting, often beautiful, and does try to make some elegant, vibrant visuals and if anything the director wants to make a beautiful spectacle and he does partly succeed in that. But despite the amazing line-up in the cast, the characters are even more hollow souls than your usual blockbuster. If the latter has cardboard-cut characters, this has see-through foil characters. I liked Goodman and Sam Jackson the most, but only because they are veteran actors really...

Peter Jackson's Kong was long, but despite some mixed feelings to the opening hour of no Island action, at least they tried to build characters and story, which does actually pay off later. Here, they still try for some heroic, beautiful, romantic or elegant character moments, but they don't work because we have merely glanced over everything. They don't even build Kong properly up either. Epic introduction but I missed some mystery over mass destruction.

I really miss character in the movie itself more than anything, because lately all blockbusters has to look and feel the same. Marvel-ish not marvelous, unfortunately... they all wanna be this big cinematic universe that links itself into the next thing and the entire big thing and it all feels so calculated. At least this movie had a nice paint job on top of the same old ****. Some CGI looked great, but some shots were awful and overall Pete Jackson's King Kong from more than 10 years ago had better CG. Overall I enjoyed myself pretty well, but it was numbing and forgettable and stupid for the most part...

+

Cry of a Prostitute (1974)

This has a slightly misleading title as this Italian film is not quite the exploitation movie it implies, although it has exploitation characteristics. There's two rival mob families in Sicily, with a gangster played by major badass Henry Silva in the middle trying to find out who is smuggling heroin inside the dead bodies of children. In his spare time, he has time to pork and beat the ex-prostitute wife of one of the mob bosses, and not necessarily in that order. This movie has a bit of a spaghetti western feel, and is nasty, and I had a blast watching it.

Notorious (1946) - Nice espionage romance/thriller that imo ends perfectly

Home Alone 1990

Power Rangers (2017), I went in not giving it much of a chance. I was surprised it was actually better than expected. Don't get me wrong, it will never be as good as the original corn ballish movie, but it wasn't that bad. 7/10

We Bought a Zoo (2011)

I expected this to be a feel good family film, but at least to me it was more something else. Matt Damon's character is a widower with a young son and daughter, and I sometimes try to put myself in the character's shoes so I found it a bit emotionally upsetting. I looked at the whole buying a zoo and fixing it up as therapy for them. There's definitely a feel good aspect to everything, but I'd say calling it a family film is borderline with it's mature theme. Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson, and the rest of the cast are all likable and solid, and I always like to see the animals. The friendship/romance between two 13 year old was a little awkward. Director Cameron Crowe loves classic rock just like I do, but using Neil Young's great Cinnamon Girl while they're fixing up animal enclosures was out of place. Overall I very much enjoyed it, as did my wife and dogs.