Rauldc14's Top 119 Films

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen The Hurricane for whatever reason, but I know the song is brilliant.
The best is when Denzel walks in the ring and just sings "here I am".

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
49. Wall-E

Here is my write up from the animation Hall of Fame:

WALL-E

I saw this last week on yet another rewatch but I hadn't gotten to post anything about it until now. The first thing that strikes me is the visuals and how ahead of its time the concept is. It's a futuristic film that shows us the danger of what could become. Wall E is a very likeable main character who seems like he is not the type that should be lonesome, as we see him at the beginning of the film. I think that is what makes his friendship and relationship with Eve so special. Above all is the score and the animation in this movie. The two of them are in sync more than any other film that I can remember, which makes this a truly special film. I love how the characters and the backgrounds are drawn and the songs make for very special moments in the film. This is a FM that should set the standard for future animation. I almost feel bad not rating it perfectly but a few minor pulls in the story are the only thing that prevents me from doing so.

Wall-E is fantastic. Top 3 Pixar for me

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Wall-E is one of my all-time favorite movies, and easily my favorite Pixar movie.

Unregistered User
50. The Hurricane

Quite possibly Denzel Washingtons best acting performance. A boxing story with heart, whether he was innocent or not Norman Jewison tells us a great story. Someday I will have to do a more expensive write up. But you don't hear about this movie enough.

I love The Hurricane and of course Dylans, The Hurricane. Have you read The Sixteenth Round? Highly recommended.

48. Rain Man

Dustin Hoffman's performance ranks up there pretty high for me, and this my be my favorite Tom Cruise role ever too. One of these days I should get to writing something proper about it, because the movie is really well crafted in my opinion. For now, I'll just say it's probably one of my favorite 80s films (I have one other ranked higher here).

47. Iron Man

I'm a Marvel fanboy and this is the movie that started it all. A great superhero story full of great action, great effects, and funny moments.

Haven't seen Hurricane... I love Wall·E, one of Pixar's very best efforts. Cinematically, especially technically, it might just be their best.

I love Rain Man, but I have only seen it once. I really loved it though, but somehow I haven't had a huge urge to revisit it. I own it on Blu though, so hopefully some day soon. I really like Iron Man. A solid superhero film before it become a little too much about the action and the big bangs. Grounded, funny and dramatic with a good story. It didn't hold up as well last time I revisited, but it's still really good for sure.

46. Flight

Figured it was time to give Denzel some love on this list. His performance here is very strong as it usually is. Zemeckis did a great job of directing this film. The beginning scenes with the plane crashing was really well done. I also enjoy the supporting performances, particularly Cheadle and Goodman. It's definitely up there as one of my favorites for this decade.

45. Dial M for Murder

Hitchcock is the man and this is one of his more underrated films. Here's my little mini write up from the HOF it was in:

Dial M for Murder

This movie kicks ass. The dialogue is among the best in film history. I love the location set of the film and the acting is great from everybody involved. I especially love the plot twists that the film takes, it made for a really unpredictable ending. Hitchcock is the master of the atmosphere for a reason. I'd probably rank this as my third or fourth favorite Hitch but I cannot argue with anybody who would place this higher. An easy top 100 film for me.

+

44. After Hours

Officially my new favorite movie from the 1980s. Here's what I wrote about it awhile back:

After Hours SPOILERS WITHIN

This quirky comedy has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw it for The second MOFO Hall of Fame. Griffin Dunne plays a character named Paul whose life is turned upside down one night as he has the strangest night of his life, starting with making a phone call to Kiki Bridges which in turn ends up as a call setting up a meeting with Marcy (played brilliantly by Rosanna Arquette) whom he had met at a diner previously. My first favorite scene is when he is in the cab and his money flies out the window, this is when you know his night will go to hell. He goes to Marcy's but ends up first contacting her paper macheing roommate, whom falls asleep to his massage.

Marcy comes back and is excited that Paul has come to her place. Marcy becomes anxious and afraid and tells a haunting story about her ex-boyfriend. The two go out for coffee and Paul learns Marcy was married to an obsessed Wizard of Oz fanatic who would scream surrender Dorothy in the bedroom. They go back to Marcy's for recreational drug usage and Paul asked about the paper weights that Marcy said Kiki has. Paul rushes out in the rain and tries to get a token for the train but only has 97 cents. Instead he starts walking and makes his way to a bar where he meets Julie who is a waitress there who writes help I hate this job on a receipt. The bartender there is willing to lend Paul money for his train fare home, but can't get his register open. He gives Paul the key to his place so he can get him the key for the register. Paul gives his keys up as collateral and promises to be right back.

As he goes to the bartenders place he is questioned as being a burglar. As he steps out he notices two men putting a paper mâché statue into their vehicle, but they make a quick getaway. He knows it is from Marcy's and he returns it there to see Kiki tied up. Kiki says the two alleged burglars are friends of hers. He goes into Marcy's room and apologizes to her. However, she is found dead by an overdose of drugs. He reports the death to the police and finds that Kiki has left with her friend. The key he was given had a skull that was also tattooed to Marcy.

Walking back to the bar, he runs into Julie. However, the bar has now closed. They go to Julie's house and Julie asks Paul about his problems as she draws a sketch of him. He hears the bar re-open and Julie hopes that she is not going to leave him. But he goes to return the keys. The bartender receives a phone call that his girlfriend Marcy just killed herself and Paul is to the floor shocked at the circle of events that has happened to him tonight. He runs back to Julie who wants to give him a present. She wants to give him a paperweight from KIki Bridges, but he does not want it. He returns across the street again and the bar is closed again.

He again goes to Toms and is chased by the people who thought he was burglarizing their apartment complex. He then makes his way to an After Hour Club where Kiki and her friend are and pleads to be let in. Paul runs out and goes back to Marcy and Kikis, where he looks out the window and finds a group of people who are seemingly looking for somebody. He tries to take a taxi (the same one as earlier when he dodged his fare) but the driver drives off without him. He meets a girl named Gail (Catherine O'Hara) whom he tells her that he is having the worst night of his life and he cannot get home (reminiscent to Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz as well). She offers him a ride home, but inevitably she turns against him as the brigade of people charge after Paul (including Gail in her Ice Cream truck).

Paul witnesses a murder (and states he will probably get blamed for that). Then yells to the sky "what have I done!! " he begs a stranger for help on the street. He calls the police telling them he is in serious trouble as a vigilante mob is coming after him. Paul tells his nights story to the stranger who let him go to his place to call the police. He sees Julie again who is putting up burglary posters of Paul. Paul runs into a diner and again meets Tom.

He tells Tom that an angry mob is after him who all believe that Paul is a thief. And yet again the ice cream truck finds him. Paul runs back to the After Hour Club that he had went to earlier. It is a rather quiet night there but he uses his last quarter on a jukebox and meets a lady. The two share a dance, but then are told that the place is closing up for the night. Paul however is asked to go downstairs with her. Paul hears noises and fears the mob is again after him. He tries to escape but gets plaster poured onto him. They then decide to mâché him to disguise him so the mob does not see him. She continues to work on macheing Paul even against his own wishes. As she exits the room Pepe and Neil break in to steal the papered Paul. He falls out of the truck and is brought back to his workplace in rather rough shape.

My second favorite Scorsese movie here. An absolute treasure of a film that I love hearing peoples thoughts about. I like the darkness and the atmosphere that the film brings. I also thought that Griffin Dunne in the lead role was a fantastic choice.

The female supporting cast that was unveiled one by one through the film was excellent. If I had to pick my favorite, I'd probably stick with Rosanna Arquette for her role as Marcy. But Teri Garr and Catherine O'Hara were memorable as well.

I don't know why but I find it incredibly funny when the brigade if running after him. I am back and forth on whether or not I believe that this film is a dream sequence or not. I usually think of it as a dream sequence mainly due to some of its parallels with Wizard of Oz and Paul being on a journey throughout the film of trying to get home, when really it should be a rather easy task.

The script is genius and the story is original enough to keep you interested throughout the film. It has a quick pace to it and I find rewatching the film making the film even more great than it already is.

43. Gravity

A visual masterpiece and just an overall excellent adventure. I like be the chemistry between Bullock and Clooney. One of my favorite from the Sci Fi genre certainly. One of these days a proper review will be in order.

I like Flight and Rain Man, though neither are favorites. Hated Iron Man and thought Gravity was beautiful but boring. I know I liked Dial M but don't really remember anything else about it.