Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Brutti, sporchi e cattivi - 5.5/10

Lighthearted comedy about one family's poverty, including the father, who wants to kill them all, and they want to kill him for his money. Imagine 30 people in an 900-sq foot house -- this is it!

It is absurd, so much that I had to watch one half yesterday, and the rest today, but there is some funny writing, and the lead is funny himself.

Arrival (2016) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
@Nausicaä LOL that second poster is nasty.

A great debut!
Some flaws but ok!
I hope sometime in the future nolan make these kind of creative movie again. Too much spectacles for now

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Standford Prison Experiment

It was difficult to watch and judge this as a movie because it actually happened. One or two scenes seem downright silly at times, but it's all there in the history books. I was always fascinated by this "experiment" when I read about it in college, and how people can so easily get caught up in a role, how our actions are influenced by observation, and how easy it is to just lose yourself and moral compass when left to our own devices.

Found it surfing Netflix last night. A pleasant surprise.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Wonder Woman

It isn't bad, and though it's miles better than Suicide Squad & Man of Steel, it doesn't come close to matching BvS, my favorite of the recent string of DCEU movies.

The lead actors are charming and charismatic, but, ultimately, the film feels something closer to a Marvel film (not a good thing tbh). The film feels far too formulaic and bland to become something noteworthy.

Thank you, this_is_the_girl, for posting the picture of the beautiful Pamela Franklin. I haven't see And Soon the Darkness, and you seemed not to like it too much. But if I get the chance, I may check it out for the now-retired Pamela, whom I crushed on majorly in my youth.

The Time Machine (1960) Re-watch

Rod Taylor is the star of this adaptation of H.G. Wells' famous story about ,um, H. George Wells, who invents a time machine but keeps it hidden away while he talks to his "intellectual" friends and tries to convince them of the possibilities of time travel. They are all fairly skeptical when George comes back from a journey, all unkempt and haggard. When they ask what occurred, George relates his tale of time travel in his machine. He tells of making a few stops in the future. Wells goes through a time where there are nuclear wars, and finally ends up around the year 800,000! He finds an seemingly Idyllic society where there are all young, attractive people called the Eloi, who do seemingly nothing, yet have food and clothing and shelter provided for them. George falls for one of the Eloi, the beautiful Weena (Yvette Mimieux), He is later shocked when he learns another group of people went underground and devolved into creatures called the Morlocks who are the providers for the Eloi, yet from time to time, take groups of them as slaves and those Eloi never return.

A very good Sci-Fi film with Taylor giving a good performance as the time-traveler who hopes his friends will believe him. Fine stop-motion effects, with a large crew, including JIm Danforth who did stop-motion work of his own in filmdom. Director George Pal did a great job with this movie.

Hard Candy (2005)

Intense thriller/drama with Patrick Wilson as a professional photographer who invites a young girl (Ellen Page) into his home. He seems to be friendly enough but soon finds himself drugged, tied up, with the young lady threatening to castrate him as she is convinced he's a pedophile and maybe a murderer. The movie jerks your loyalties back-and-forth, as you're sometimes convinced that Wilson is innocent and sometimes not, sometimes convinced that Page is in the right, or maybe she's just a raving loony. Great acting from both involved, with twists and turns I won't reveal. If you can handle the subject matter, it's a worthwhile watch.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Wonder Woman

I liked Gal Gadot in the role. And Chris Pine was pretty good too. This may he my favorite DC movie, but I am also somewhat a fan of Man of Steel and Suicide Squad unlike everyone else.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I keep stalling on watching this one and I don't know why!!!!
It's not good, IMO.

Noooooo!
Eh. One day I'll know.
I liked both Man of Steel and BvS. Not so much Suicide Squad but it was better on second viewing. Still not a fan of it though =(

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Magnificent Seven

(Antoine Fuqua)

The biggest fault this remake of a remake does is put the character interactions of the seven to the sideline. Instead it focuses on the spectacle of cool looking gun fights and talent of the cast. The result is mixed bag of emotion and familiarity. Despite a powerful cast, they are not used to the advantage of the film and this remake feels a tad hollow inside.

Bartholomew Bogue has a lot of money, but he wants more. A small town stands in his way of mining for some gold so he decides to send a message by burning town the church and killing some townsfolk. One of those killed was the husband of Emma Cullen, who then goes out to look for skilled gunfighters to defend the town and exact revenge on the ruthless Bogue. She finds seven men.

Fuqua teams up with his Training Day partners Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke and purposely showcases a happy reunion between the two. Washington is the cool as ice man in black who rides into town looking for trouble. He takes on the request from Jennifer Lawrence look-alike, Haley Bennett and goes on a quick quest to find some gunslingers. First up is Chris Pratt, an alcoholic smart ass who is talented with a pistol, but Washington doesn't know that, he only spoke to him once a few minutes before and Pratt was just sitting down. Without knowing if he's a good shot or not, he's recruited. The two separate way to find more; Washington makes an offer to a Mexican outlaw, played with little to no purpose by Manuel Garcia-Rulfo. Pratt tracks down a legendary sharpshooter and his knife-wielding best friend, played by Hawke and Lee Byung-hun. That's five down, two to go. They track down a bear of a man, Vincent D'Onofrio and randomly take on a Comanche warrior, Martin Sensmeier. Avengers Assembled.

As mentioned before, Fuqua choose style over substance and we get little to no interaction between these men. With the exception of Hawke, no one else really has a character arc here. Even his is shallow and predictable, but at least it's something to work with. On the flip side, D'Onofrio is the only one actually doing something interesting with the character. Everyone else is tasked with looking cool while holding a gun (or a bow & arrow). The film tries to be progressive and adds people of different races into the mix. For example, the seven men are white, black, Mexican, native and Korean.The Commanche warrior at first might seem to be an enemy. If history tells us anything it's always been Cowboys vs Indians. So the inclusion of this native brings questions; how will the team interact with him? Will there be friction and trust issues? Fuqua and writers Nic Pizzolatto &
Richard Wenk don't bother to explore this area. They instead would rather set up a quick lived showdown between Sensmeier and another random Native warrior from the other side. This set up is laughable at how predictable and short sighted it is. Finally we have the underused Peter Sarsgaard as the villain. He looks the part, acts the part, but the part doesn't justify anything. Set up in the first scene as the bad guy, we get one more small bit with him halfway and then he sits around in the final showdown. He needed to be a more menacing figure for our heroes, tragically that is not the case.

You can appreciate films from the 50's 60's and 70's that were in the western genre because of the gorgeous landscape, it feels real. Watching films like this one today makes me question what I'm looking at. Is that really a mountain range in the background, or some CGI creation? That fact that I'm even asking myself the question takes you out of the experience for the film. Then we have scenes with obvious CGI. When will filmmakers realize that CGI smoke and fire, look laughably fake on the screen. Akira Kurosawa who directed the original film this is based on, literally burned an entire set to the ground in Ran. It looks gorgeous on the screen and proved how daring and audacious a filmmaker he was. People today are limited by their own reluctance. They choose CGI over realism. This film doesn't dare to do anything, it follows the norm.

While the cast is indeed good, the film offers nothing new. It fails to live up to its name or full potential.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User

Kidnapped (2010)

As a fan of the home invasion sub genre, this was right down my street. The acting isn't particularly great, dialogue can be quite painful at times and its not an overly well made film. Still, there's no doubt that you get what you go looking for in this and it certainly is a nasty little thriller. Its violent, bleak and tense most of the way through. Highly recommend watching late at night and alone.

+

Breaking Bad update: Just watched Season 4 episode 10. Probably not my favourite episode but definitely my favourite ending, so I'm watching in again tonight! What a show!

House Of Strangers (1949) - Excellent low-key crime drama