jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
96. The Dead (1987; John Huston)

Gorgeous film that is faithful to its source, so you know what you are getting is a slow moving, action-less piece of beautiful screen literature. Captivating performances as well.

97. Woman in the Dunes (1964; Hiroshi Teshigahara)

I am not sure how it happened, but this movie has turned into somewhat of a meme around here. I haven't seen it used recently though, maybe it will make a return during the sci-fi countdown.

98. The Phantom of Liberty (1974; Luis Buñuel)

Unintentionally, I have a bunch of Luis Buñuel films already listed. He is one of my favorite directors, and he was very prolific. Just watch all of his films, seriously. All of Buñuel's films have teeth, but this one is funny too. And like his other films, this one is totally mad.

99. The Mercenary (1968; Sergio Corbucci)

The other Sergio contributes another spaghetti classic.

100. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972; Luis Buñuel)

More Buñuel.

101. Eyes Without a Face (1960; Georges Franju)

This film is highly influential to the horror genre. It's poetry in horror film form.

102. Sanshiro Sugata (1943; Akira Kurosawa)

I decided to add this film to my list after recently seeing it. The reason I did this is because I have been fascinated by it. It's been chopped up, and there is no telling how good it could have been without the rules that required this. The flashes of brilliance that we do get in this film is enough to us over. Watch for the fight scene in the field with the storm rolling in the background, because it is a gorgeous scene.

96. The Dead (1987; John Huston)

Gorgeous film that is faithful to its source, so you know what you are getting is a slow moving, action-less piece of beautiful screen literature. Captivating performances as well.
I'd love to see this, but I'm told that the 79 minutes DVD version has 4 vital minutes cut from it and that's the only version that I can find. Have you seen the 83 minutes version?

Ummm.... I don't know for sure which version I saw. I wish I knew, because if I can see a better version of an already great film, I'd be down.

Never heard of The Dead until now, but I'm also interested in watching it. If you're in the States, you'll find it on Amazon instant with a runtime of 1 hour 23 minutes, which seems to be the full version. It's also available to rent on youtube, for slightly less, which is also the full version.

P.S. Big on the reviews, jj. I'll be sure to drop in more often.

Really surprised that you've seen let alone like Neds. I loved it the first time then just liked it the second time. I know the person who played Benny; Johns older brother. Most of the others i haven't seen; i'm interested in just abut all of them.

Before mofo, I was semi-active on a more UK-centric forum. It was at the time I was really getting into films, so I wanted to make a super badass best of the year list for 2010. I watched a whole bunch of stuff they pimped back then.

Major props for including Spider Baby. I rarely see anyone talk about it, and when they do, they're usually ragging on it, but I love the hell out of it and I think it's a genuinely great horror flick. Kooky, but twisted, kinda like a demented version of The Addam's Family. The only other real favorite of mine to appear in the last several sets is The Great Silence, which features one of my favorite endings ever. There are plenty of others that I like but don't love: Eyes Without a Face, The Phantom Carriage, Ashes and Diamonds, Cat People, The Mercenary, Elmer Gantry, The Ox-Bow Incident, Angst and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (I was initially taken aback by how tonally different it was from the Peckinpah I'd come to admire; chances are I'd like it a lot more with a second viewing now that I know what to expect).

Out of the many selections I haven't seen, I'd say the ones I'm most excited to seek out are House on the Edge of the Park, Razorback, Martin, The Devil Rides Out (I've barely seen anything from Hammer, and that screenshot you used really piqued my interest) and Woman in the Dunes (I feel like the only mofo yet to watch it). I've come close to watching The Naked Prey many times on Netflix. I think I've got The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean and The Bad Sleep Well saved on my DVR.

4:44 Last Day on Earth is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I say that as someone who generally digs whatever Ferrara dishes out. And my disconnect with gialli continues with A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, Blood and Black Lace and Torso (although I did somewhat enjoy the latter). I love their style, but their (often incoherent) murder-mystery plots tend to drag the films down for me. The Mummy is my least favorite of the major Universal Horrors. Ordet and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie are well-made films that left me indifferent. Broken Arrow was notable for its sympathetic portrayal of Native Americans, but otherwise I found it to be a pretty average western. Assume the films I haven't mentioned are the ones I haven't seen.

Looking forward to 400 more eclectic gems of goodness!

4:44 Last Day on Earth is one of the worst movies I've ever seen
Wow - and you've seen House of 1000 Corpses!

I predict an Eli Roth diss from him in return. If I don't get one, I'll be disappointed.

103. The Killer (1989; John Woo)

One of the most stylish, badass films of all-time. The shootouts feel like the most fun video game shooter you can think of.

104. The Gorgon (1964; Terence Fisher)

As with all the good Hammer films, atmosphere is key. There is also a cool looking villain too.

105. Mystery Team (2009; Dan Eckman)

The best work Childish Gambino has put in, and the second or third best from my bae, April Ludgate. This is a very funny film that flew so far under the radar, it might as well have been burrowing in a garden somewhere.

106. Alice Sweet Alice (1976; Alfred Sole)

Make sure you don't go with bluray or high definition when you watch this film, because it is a lot better when it looks grimy and gross. Especially the scenes with the big, fat pedophile neighbor, because you just feel nasty.

107. Purple Noon (1960; Rene Clement)

This is one of those films that you have to be careful not to be seduced into rooting for the bad guy, but Delon is too cool for school and tries to turn straight men gay and melts the britches off the bitches. Oh yeah, this movie is French New Wave meets Hitchcock, so that's good too.

108. Sweet Smell of Success (1957; Alexander Mackendrick)

Bleak and dark are words that will creep up in almost every review you read of this masterpiece. I might venture to say that this is the best film-noir. Curtis and Lancaster give their career performances as well.